Joust Dip Switches

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Griffin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Joust Dip Switches

Post by Griffin »

I wanted to do some recordings with Joust, but the rules say it must be set to level 5 difficulty and 5 men w/ no extra lives. However Im unable to get the dip switches to work in Joust. The dipswitch option works for other games. How do I set the diff lvl and adjust lives in Joust?
Griffin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Griffin »

BTW, Ive seen a lot of people pushing for alpha mame recordings. Where can I get this version of mame. Ive yet to find it.
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

If I remember correctly you have to first hit F2 until the config menu appears. Then follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to change settings.

Download Alpha MAME
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Don't forget to do a search in this board to get the latest version. just search for alphamame. Latest is

http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/alphamame-062-3.zip
-skito
Griffin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Griffin »

Thanks a lot guys. There isn't any chance a mame 32 version of alphamame is their. I also downloaded m35tg3 but I don't seem to have a file called zlib.dll, and an error results when I try and start it. Any help in getting this file would be great. I found the the audio32.dll it also needs. Im seeing this movement toward a more secure mame recording and want to be compliant when and if that day comes. Thanks again
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you might be able to find the zlib.dll in this

http://www.mame.dk/download/emu/mame32b-036.zip

but it's from mame36 not mame35. Also why mess with the mame32 gui when you can use the cli version and have MANY less keystrokes with a record.bat file. If you open a dos window and run "doskey", then cd to your dir where the record.bat file is, you just need to type "record" enter, play your game, esc when the screw up :), then hit up arrow and enter and you're recording a new game, no mouse clicks or typing in the inp filename when prompted or anything... cli rocks.

rem record.bat
mame trackfld -record trackfld -autofs
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Some people just have no clue when it comes to command prompts. Especially Mac users, and Windows users who haven't used anything older than Win95. Mac users everywhere must be going nuts with there being a command prompt in OS X. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

I know how to use the dos/cli version, but like I said before I PREFER the mame 32 gui version. For me it is as much mame that cli or dos version is mame to you guys.I don´t like using bat files or using a front end to mame etc. I like Mame32 gui! :)
Would you just give up cli version cause someone said "hey gui is much easier etc!" I don´t think so. Please accept that people have different views about what´s better/easier for them. It may be a very personal thing.

Just my opinion.
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

But, the MAME32 GUI is a frontend.

I've only used the Win32 CLI core (bar one X11 version), as that's the base version. DOS and MAME32 are extra addons. And I see MAME32 now as more or less the same as the console version, just with a GUI tacked on to it.
- Barry Rodewald
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Of course it is a frontend. But it is THE frontend for me (and many other users) If you use one frontend and is satisfied with it, why change? That´s my only point.
QRS
BBH
Editor

Re: RE

Post by BBH »

QRS wrote:Of course it is a frontend. But it is THE frontend for me (and many other users) If you use one frontend and is satisfied with it, why change? That´s my only point.
exactly, use what you're comfortable with... I'll keep using DOS versions until they stop making them. :D it also doesn't help that lately both the win32 CLI and MAME32 versions really don't like my graphic card, as it seems to pick the smallest resolution possible for nearly any game I try. Sometimes I have to mess around with manual displays just to get one where playing a game doesn't end up hurting my eyes any more than they already are. The DOS version still works fine here so of course I'm going to use that. (this is another problem I'll have if AlphaMAME gets accepted for T6.....)

it's to each their own, really. no need to force your views on what version of MAME everyone should use.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I hate to think what your video card must be, as mine is nothing more than cheap crap. Yet it runs MAME wonderfully.
- Barry Rodewald
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

My Voodoo Banshee copes happily with MAME CLI / MAME 32. It's my crappy monitor that forces me to stay at 800x600. :(
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: RE

Post by Chad »

BBH wrote: it also doesn't help that lately both the win32 CLI and MAME32 versions really don't like my graphic card, as it seems to pick the smallest resolution possible for nearly any game I try. Sometimes I have to mess around with manual displays just to get one where playing a game doesn't end up hurting my eyes any more than they already are.
That is strange because that's exactally the opposite with my new geforce card, the DOS version (which i used to love) now picks the smallest pixel resolution because it can't initialize the correct resolution, even with Display Doctor, but the cli one works fine. Plus the sound is completely messedup in the dos version but that could be my stupid audigy card and them not refreshing the drivers in over a year... so i can't even use the dos version with pleasure anymore. I guess I see why someone might use dos over cli if they have the opposite problem that i have. But i don't see why anyone would want to click windows so much with a gui when they don't have to, but gotta accept other shoes...
-skito
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

...and I can´t understand why people want to bother using the com promt/using bat files more than they have too when you can click on a windows aplication instead :)

But I accept their opinion. And if they feel confortable with doing that, that´s good. I´m not doing it more than I have too. that´s for sure :)

QRS
QRS