masao

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

masao

Post by LN2 »

This is a Mario Brothers clone/variant that freezes when you reach phase 16.

Given this I think the game should be archived and not used for MARP points or high scores.

You turn the high score for that game into who just delays and leeches points on those first 15 phases to get the highest score possible since the game freezes at phase 16.

Looking at the currently posted scores it seems all have having this freezing issue with it.

Therefore the game is faulty and scores from it not count as it's just a leeching contest. I can usually reach phase 16 without even dying so it's down to how much I can leech each phase.

Whatcha think? If not then I gonna do a game where I leech like crazy that's disallowed for tons of other games just to get the high score for it. :P
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

How it this any different from, say, Pacman, which effectively crashes after 255 stages? Or any other game that has a set number of stages?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re...

Post by AL »

Yep . I agree with Barry . Leech all you want on this game . And give yourself a bonus million points for putting-up with the music whilst in leech mode :lol:

Cheers ,

AL ( who hopes , when I submit this post , my avatar works ? )
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re..

Post by AL »

Yep , avatar worked . Break out the Champagne .

AL

p.s thanks Flop
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Barry, cuz getting to phase #16 in masao is like getting to the 1st or 2nd grenade in regular pacman as far as difficulty is concerned. It's at phase 16 the game really begins IMHO. Icicles aren't introduced until stage 16...which is likely what causes the freeze of the game most likely. Whoever put together that hacked rom must not have handled the icicles properly.

Before you add the icicles the game isn't that hard at all.

Therefore I think you can call it a "broken" game because of that bug.

Given there are no time limits to completing phases in mario bros/masao I just thought that encourages leeching which has been deemed illegal and cheap for many many games...yet for this one it seems permitted?!?

If you look at the scores for that game you see several have reached that phase where the game freezes. To continue to support high scores for it just invites a leeching contest. I thought MARP in general doesn't like cheap leeching like that.

I guess I'll go ahead and play a game of it then just leeching until my score is at the current top score for the game then play the remaining phases and that final bonus phase for points and let myself freeze....hardly a challenge.

Sure you could say what about pacman again with the split-screen at #255...or ms pac at a much earlier board than pacman. However, in pacman even if you have a nice 9th key pattern it isn't so easy to run the pattern 235 times without any mistakes....you also still have to play the 20 initial boards before you reach the 9th key.

To reach phase #16 in masao is just above novice level.

I just thought I would suggest it...thinking perhaps you all on the rules committee haven't noticed it. With all the recent anti-leeching discussions here I figured this would just be similar.