Help! - Button Presses per second?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Help! - Button Presses per second?

Post by sikraiken »

Well, the other day in school, kids were competing to see who could press a button on a calculator the most times within a minute. I currently still have the record at 505, which really sucks. :( This made me think.....

What I'm thinking about is, is there anyway I can get faster speeds, or any exercises I can do to get faster speeds? Here's a little "table", for lack of words, of my tests on the computer using the calculator on here and pressing 1 + 1 first then just repeatingly pressing ENTER.

(I'm left handed by the way, but I have to use my right hand to press the button when playing games.)

Code: Select all

Minute      Second        Type
-----------------------------------------------------
505         8.4           Left Pointer/Middle Finger
453         7.6           Right Pointer/Middle Finger
439         7.3           Right Thumb
428         7.1           Left Thumb
Again, is there anything I can do to get my Right pointer/middle finger pressing a lot faster? I know the keyboard isn't the most accurate way to do this, but I didn't cheat or anything (obviously, look at those times!) by holding down the enter button.

Thanks in advance. Maybe some of you others would be willing to share your MUCH faster speeds?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I can do "well over 20" (maybe 24?)pushes per second when using sixfinger technique 8) (sweeping the button first with righthand ringfinger,middlefinger,index..then lefthand ringf,midll,ind...then again rightand fingers, in rhythmic fashion. This should sound like machine gun)

I can keep up my maximum speed about 10 seconds or more, not the whole minute, I'll have to do little slower if I want to tap whole minute.
It's quite hard to master on one button though, normally I use two buttons, but when I'm off rhythm I use only one button. Maybe if you try using two finger technique=using your middle and index fingers of (right) hand alternately(I believe this is the method Hisa uses for hes shmup firing), but remember sixfinger-stuff is faster.

TG arcade record holder of T&F is said to have used eight finger technique, I might try it some day soon to see if it adds any speed into my Tracknfield play.

Forget about calculators, rather try Trackfld with your friends.

TJT -7,47- arcade
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Either way you still end up wrecking your keyboard! :wink:
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: Help! - Button Presses per second?

Post by horsie »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Well, the other day in school, kids were competing to see who could press a button on a calculator the most times within a minute. I currently still have the record at 505, which really sucks. :( This made me think.....
(I'm left handed by the way, but I have to use my right hand to press the button when playing games.)
Thanks in advance. Maybe some of you others would be willing to share your MUCH faster speeds?
Actually I used to do this too, when I was 14 or 15. :) My record was 666 ("exactly"-heh).

I used the index finger of my left hand. I'm left-handed also. But I also use my right hand to fire, as in the arcade. For fighters, though, I've found I perform better using the arrow keys (right hand) for movement. (I use a keyboard.)

Btw, UAG (or Thundercade; tndrcade, tndrcadj) is a game which gives you an incentive to fire as fast as possible. I think that's one of the reasons I always liked it. :) (The laser makes things too easy though, and it isn't near as frantic - or fun - with it. It's something I never knew about before I saw P's earlier recording on MARP. Unfortunately, you need it to maximise your score.)

-Graham