Rolling Crash leeching spot

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Rolling Crash leeching spot

Post by Cicca »

I just noticed that the #1 score from Rolling Crash (rollingc-rc) clearly shows a leeching technique, and should be zeroed (or at least reduced to what achieved before started leeching (18252)), and a special rule has to be set for the game....

I've gone through levels 10 and 12 with more recent versions, and the bonus target seems not to appear repeatedely as it happens in that .inp .... I don't have the knowledge to undestand if the last improvements (mostly graphics) in the driver implemented in v. 0.150 could have fixed that problem....if so, the special rule will state that the game should be played in versions from 0.150; otherwise, banning explicitely that technique.

Thanks
Cicca
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Rolling Crash leeching spot

Post by Cicca »

Cicca wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 pm I just noticed that the #1 score from Rolling Crash (rollingc-rc) clearly shows a leeching technique, and should be zeroed (or at least reduced to what achieved before started leeching (18252)), and a special rule has to be set for the game....

I've gone through levels 10 and 12 with more recent versions, and the bonus target seems not to appear repeatedely as it happens in that .inp .... I don't have the knowledge to undestand if the last improvements (mostly graphics) in the driver implemented in v. 0.150 could have fixed that problem....if so, the special rule will state that the game should be played in versions from 0.150; otherwise, banning explicitely that technique.

Thanks
Cicca
....any feedback...?!? :roll:
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

....any feedback (3 month later)....?!? :roll: :oops:
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I gave an eye to the changes reported in mameinfo.dat, nothing seems extraordinary in the changes for this game, rather than a cpu speed adjustment but I heavily doubt that influences the behaviour of things. The driver had more emulation improvements but I don't think there is a genuinely good way to find out where the change you mentioned starts appearing, if there is one.

The point of this is, I believe it isn't proper to allow scores made only after a certain versione of MAME.
More likely, to prevent leeching is better.
I'll try to load the replay and see by myself this leeching. Skito also, at the time, considered the idea apparently.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Yeah... it's an eternal leeching. I was throttling it at 2200%+ speed and still lasted a few minutes, I believe it was stopped intentionally (to get the counterstop). I would have a different approaching if it was finite leeching based on lives left, but this seems infinite.
My suggestion would be to apply a special rule like:
Banned technique:
Avoiding the completion of the level on purpose to leech infinitely on the bonus item appearing at the center of the screen.

I don't know what to do with that 100K score, if to demote it to the score they had before starting leeching, or to zero it.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Please zero out the score. There is already a general rule banning this...

It is a violation of MARP Rule 2h:
You cannot continuously gain points without some degree of risk and you must keep moving to complete a level.

If there is a need for a special rule using MAME 0.150 or later, we can add that as well.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Roger. Wasn't sure just because, I wondered why this wasn't done in the past.

(my first DQ ♥)
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Better late than never !!! :wink:

Thanks for having gone through this, giro....