Restoring Outrun Special Rules from name changes

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Restoring Outrun Special Rules from name changes

Post by Chad »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/outrun

The special rules for outrun and clones are posted from August 2006 to allow the offroad trick for outrun2 and outrunb. These clones have changed names and we've added new clones. I guess the question is which clone names now were outrun2 and outrunb so we can accurately judge recordings with offroad trick and knock them out?
-skito
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Restoring Outrun Special Rules from name changes

Post by RAX »

- 0.133u1: Guru added clone Out Run (sitdown/upright). Renamed (outrun2) to (outrunra) and (outrun1) to (outrundx).
outruno in MAME since 0.133u1
outrundx in MAME since 0.78u5 ? :-k

So:

outrunb ---> outrunb (no rename)
outrun2 ---> outrunra
outruno is new, should be mentioned in the rule
outrun1 ---> outrundx apparently is not mentioned in special rule, but it should
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Special rules carry over and stick with game name changes which is not always what we want. Let me look into this one and I'll post my findings...
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

OK, the game name changes for m134 were correct. All the Special Rules were identical...

However, there is a problem with the special rules Chad created in 2006. First off, the vote to ban the trick was back in 2003 when I was the Regulation Coordinator. VOTE WAS DEFEATED, SO NO CHANGES REQUIRED!! i.e. off-road trick allowed for ALL versions. Second, the special rules were added in 2006 which I now believe were unnecessary!!

Why? Because the trick was always allowed (for both original + clones). Trick is still allowed (for all versions), hence no special rules are required either!

That said, there is no need to go through INPs and delete those that use the trick and furthermore we can remove special rules for all versions.

If I've understood this correctly, and you agree tricks are allowed, I will remove existing special rules and that's it.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh! ok. where was the post/vote that allowed the offroad for all clones?

*EDIT there was none, it was never forced allowed, it was only suggested that these clones be played with out the offroad trick. I don't think the special rules should be deleted but clarified, since it is nice to see what's gone on about the rules.
-skito
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Chad wrote:oh! ok. where was the post/vote that allowed the offroad for all clones?
You posted the link under special rules!! I'll clarify the parent ROM.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

The theory behind my special rules suggestion would be for players who were not using the offroad trick to submit to a cloneset where they could compete on an evel keel (all recordings could be compared and ranked by not using the offroad trick rather than listing offroad and non-offroad recordings together).
-skito