xmame 0.106 + wolf patches so far a no-go

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

xmame 0.106 + wolf patches so far a no-go

Post by Alessandro.S »

Segfaults after opening the .wlf file (which turns out to be empty in the end).

It appears to play back the .inp it creates, but it says it's been recorded in WolfMAME 0.101...

Will give a look at the patches sometime further on - as of now I'm so crunched I can't even play :(
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: xmame 0.106 + wolf patches so far a no-go

Post by Chad »

looking at my wolf106 patch it looks strikingly similar to wolf101, i must have noticed back in 2007 that there were no wolf106 sources and had to use a previous version. Barry where is the wolf106 source?
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

As far as I am aware, I never did release it... only from 0.107 did I do that consistently. Currently, I don't have a diff, but I should be able to make one as I still have the 0.106 tree on my HD, just have to create a base MAME Plus 0.106 tree again. I'll upload it eventually :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Ok, try this diff. Remember that it is based on MAME Plus, and I seem to remember that some function specific to MAME Plus was used to display arrows in the input viewer. Shouldn't affect playback, though.
Attachments
wolf106src.zip
wolf106 source diff from MAME Plus 0.106
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
- Barry Rodewald
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

mahlemiut wrote:Ok, try this diff. Remember that it is based on MAME Plus, and I seem to remember that some function specific to MAME Plus was used to display arrows in the input viewer. Shouldn't affect playback, though.
I get rejects in several files and the attempt to patch non-existent windows files... log attached.

(dang it, the interface won't load files with .txt, .log extension and not even without extension - wtf !)
Attachments
patchlog.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think my wolf106 patch works (doesn't give patch errors) because i made the 101 patch or 104 patch compile with xmame-106 and i only used it for playbacking of wolf106 files (and it does work very well but never tried it to record), i usually record on windos. Remember barry said his patch was based on mame plus which will have some differences to change in xmame. The closest path to a recordable solution is to disable wlf file making and change the 101 to 106 in the inp header.
-skito
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

I took another look at Barry's patch.

I killed the src/windows/ specific parts, since that directory doesn't exist in xmame 0.106.

There are a couple of rejects due to comments in the source being /* */ but in the diff just leading //
- src/drivers/cps2.c
- src/drivers/stv.c
and that's the easy stuff. But...

There are patches that won't apply because they seem to come from actually different sources:

- references to #ifdef INP_CAPTION that do not exist in xmame 0.106 (src/fileio.c)
- FILETYPE_WLF again is close to FILETYPE_INPCAPTION which doesn't exist in xmame 0.106 (src/fileio.h)
- references to code depending on auto_pause - which is non-existent in xmame 0.106 (src/usrintrf.c)

Does this help get closer to a xwolf106.diff ? =P~
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

INP Captions and auto pause are MAME Plus specific features. As for the /src/windows stuff, you should probably port the equivalent code to /src/unix

It's so much easier now with all the code going into just the MAME core... Must get INP captions back in there at some point though... ;)
- Barry Rodewald
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

Thanks for the info - well then I can just fix the comment stuff, fix fileio.h and ignore the MamePlus bits... and then I'll have a stab at porting src/windows to src/unix. Hope to have some time during the week :D
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Ok, try this binary. http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/xwolfmame-0106.tar.bz2

It's a 32-bit binary, and is built to use ALSA and SDL for sound, and DGA, Xvideo, and OpenGL for video. Note that the binary requires the DGA library to even run, and I know that some 64-bit distros don't include a 32-bit version of DGA. It will run without OpenGL/Mesa present, however.

There are still many bugs to iron out, especially to do with the handling of the .wlf file. But it will create the INP correctly, and the INP is runnable on the Win32 version (use -override to ignore settings). I'll post the source diff soon(ish), when I get around to actually creating one. :)
- Barry Rodewald
aycaramba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by aycaramba »

This works for me on Ubuntu 8.04. Is it just for testing, and I should wait for the final version? Or is it ready to use for submissions already?

Muchas gracias for the update. I'd built my own sdlmame 127 with the patches (except dipport, which is no longer valid after 126), but everyone seems to have, and use, 106.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'd say stick with 0.104 unless you have to. Eventually, I'll fix it up a bit more, and/or post a source diff.

It's certainly enough to use to watch INPs from the win32 builds, but I'd probably hold off using it for submissions until the wlf file handling is fixed up some.
- Barry Rodewald
Pegasus
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Pegasus »

:D Finally!!!
I'm on linux, and I'm a lurker who just likes to watch
a lot of replays. And most of them just happen to be wolf106 :o

#-o But after updating my OS, your xwolfmame binarys didn't work
any more. This has changed now with this release of wolf106 =D> .
I urge you to release a source diff, because most things in linux are
short lived.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

many times new linux oses have "legacy" libraries that will allow older programs to work, look in your package manager to find these and install them, sometimes it's as easy as clicking a button to get older programs (liek barry's wolfmame compile to work) there is an existing patch that should allow you to rebuild xwolfmame but it still has a recording wlf file creation bug, but it allows you to playback any wolf106 recording if you are mostly a lurker like me.

http://emulators.homeactionreplay.org/s ... -wolf.diff

barry i'm sure will release his latest patch and you'll be able to build with that as well.

Incidentally, that sdlbuild directory linked to above is there to allow one to automate the build of multiple versions of xwolfmame and xwolfmess. After downloading all scripts in sdlbuild, the single command like program i.e. "buildit xmame-0.106-wolf.diff" will download appropriate versions of mame/mess, patch the source for wolf distro, and then compile and build a tarball package to insert into your playback scripts. Eventually i will get this into an .srpm form but now it's just an online script.
-skito
Pegasus
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Pegasus »

Many thanks, I appreciate it. :D
I'm on Suse10.2 right now, so I'm not quite sure if I want to mess with
backports. I wouldn't even know where to look for them. Maybe there
are installation-sources somewhere...

But xmame106 compiled fine here before, so with the diff
I should be able to compile myself. This isn't necessary now, because