Gaz: Congratulations.....and Condolences

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Gaz: Congratulations.....and Condolences

Post by Weehawk »

We have a new MARP high score on a true classic, and one of the very highest ever on this title:

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... lines=9999

Outstanding performance.

There is one slight cause for concern however.

At:
http://www.backntime.net/Events/Clas200 ... spot5.html

we see the following:

Mark Longridge tapes a segment for Twin Galaxies TV.
Essentially, Mark threatened to hunt down & kill
anyone who attempts to beat his score in Joust.

Since he'll have to fly to England, I'd say you have at least five hours to disappear from the face of the earth, but looking in those eyes I'm not sure there is anywhere that will be safe.

Good luck my friend.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

...And that picture of Mark is taken when he's NOT angry! :lol:

Watched the inp. Your gameplay shows great control and skill, tactics seem to be exactly right also. I believe with little bit of luck you can do even better, if u want to.

Congratulations Gary!
cubex
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Well done Gary!

Post by cubex »

Yeah, well done.... but I think a trip to England might be coming up soon, lol.

Seriously though 678,000 on the keyboard is really good. I don't find the buttons on the keyboard as responsive though. If someone can get to wave 58 or higher with good points
then one million is reachable.

Mark
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Thanks all :). Time to run for the hills.

Wave 33 is the pivotal wave there. Of course it looks easy when you watch it because everything went right, but you have to hope the hunters don't reach you before you can kill the two pterodactyls and I say this happens with about 25% probability.

I've tried practising using a saved state which starts on wave 32 with a couple of shadow lords left but I see no way of influencing how the first two hunters come out on the next wave :(. Of course you can still clear the wave by flying all over the screen instead of staying at the bottom but it's harder.

For the record, Mark has a high score of 798,000 on a real Joust machine reaching wave 48 a triple pterodactyl wave with shadow lords only.

Gaz
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

Well done, indeed. Took nearly 4 years for Mark to get bumped...nice hold on the top spot for that length of time, Mark.

Gary's right. Wave 33 can make or break a great game. Unless you start off wrong on a later wave like I did!

=D>

Applause is in order for Lord Gaz.