Xain'D Sleena

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Rules for Xain'd Sleena

Poll ended at Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:23 pm

20k and each 70k = Allow Leeching
5%
20k and each 70k = Dissallow leeching (Leeching ok but if you die by the timer it's dqued.)
21%
20k and 80k lives only
47%
5 lives only
26%

Total votes: 19

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Xain'D Sleena

Post by Chad »

there is slight disagreement here so there must be a poll. Seymore, is there a way to set the default of polls to 14 days? I always forget and they become unlimited until i edit them.

see discussion viewtopic.php?t=11209&start=0&postdays= ... highlight= before voting.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... lines=9999

There's not much difference between 3 and 4 but 3 will be much easier to score because there is no 5 lives only option. All options (except for 4 will start with 3 lives.)
Last edited by Chad on Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Xain'D Sleena

Post by LN2 »

Chad wrote:There's not much difference between 4 and 5 but 4 will be much easier to score because there is no 5 lives only option. All options (except for 4 will start with 3 lives.)
I only see 4 options. So what do you mean by "4 and 5"?
also...I thought polls of this type only run for 7 days...or is that a minimum for how long they must run?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oops i meant 3 and 4 (i counted the title as the 1rst option when it's just the label of the poll.) default polls run for two weeks 14 days.
-skito
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

I think leeching in general is banned, so why would we have a certain game singled out for leeching? So that lots of players can all spend 8 hours leeching to get the max score?

Also, I think those who propose the 5 man only rule should explain why. I see no reason other than to exclude average players. And it destroys the spirit of the game as it was available in the arcades.

I think certain games with no absolute ending it makes sense to limit lives, but not this game. It also makes sense to ban leeching, which is already done. I just have no idea why destructors 8 hour inp has been up for so long.

Even though a perfect player with no deaths will get a lower score than me when I get 12 deaths, I believe there is no reason to add any special rules, because that is how it would have been in the arcade.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Heh. 5 lives only is without sense. You must count lives. If we set bonus lives 20k and 80k only then we don't must count lives and lives=5(1 you play+2 extra on start + 2 bonus)! Identical situation is in GnG!
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

hey all you voting for 20k and 80k.... why? Look at the good recordings, no player finishes without at least 8 lives.

I am against it because I have been playing for years, and I can reach the last stage without dying, but still use up at least 5 men going through the middle part of that level.

Give reasons!
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

"20k and 80k only" is a 5 lives option, if you get 80k that is.
-skito
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

I was just focusing on that contingent of voters (six so far) because they probably have decided the outcome already, and I have seen no reasons given.

It is a frustrating waste of time to play perfectly for 30 minutes only to be utterly annihilated 5 men in a row by some freaking-cheap game tactics, when the original configuration made it possible to have more lives in reserve.

I noticed the same with gng and clones, it is totally against the way the game would have played in the ardade, and is needless because there is a "no leeching" rule covering all games. But, it makes sense to limit men because it would be marathoned, though.

MARP is set to MAME default settings, isn't it? You don't change that without a good reason, right?

On gng, since it never ends, a life limit makes sense. But on xsleena, there is an ending, there is a big bonus for finishing, and there is a need for many men to finish the last stage.

If someone wants to see a low scoring game, with no deaths, then try to get it to be a timetrial game.

This is like saying, Pac Man should be limited to one life, start a vote, and giving no reasons for the majority vote.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I'm not sure you've given any good reasons FOR simply disallowing leeching; that would still leave the basically unlimited life gag in the game. apologies: des's recording hasn't been examined expeditiously because things like this take time and now we have some time to do it...

yeah that maybe "how the game would have been played in the arcade" but by who? is that how the master's would have played it? who probably are more skilled at avoiding the cheap aspects of the game to preserve lives rather than finding spots to sit and do nothing but hit the fire button to gain them. In pacman you can't gain lives by sitting in one spot...

that's all the reason i need to explain why a life limit should be required for this game to automatically prevent people who ONLY know how to leech from geting a high score.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

MrBunny wrote:hey all you voting for 20k and 80k.... why? Look at the good recordings, no player finishes without at least 8 lives.

I am against it because I have been playing for years, and I can reach the last stage without dying, but still use up at least 5 men going through the middle part of that level.

Give reasons!
Then players must show skills not only pressing fire.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

can a skillful player easily finish this game within 5 lives or getting extras at only 20k and 80k? if so then that reduced #lives should be what goes then.

Then they can leech all they want during play... It will be limited since #lives is limited. Plus, those with more skill will have more time to leech a bit more within the time period or figured out where to leech a bit more than others.

it's hard to really remove leeching from games like this....so just limiting it by limiting #lives is enough in this case.

I don't really get the point of option 4 since 3 is the same thing right?

if you score beyond 80k then you have 5 lives total for the game right?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

If you score is below 80k then upload it to MARP have no sense. Yoy get only 0-2 small points for leaderboard.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

I agree with our furry friend . Options 3+4 are stupid , and option 1 ruins the game also .

Who the hell is voting for these options ? The game is being ruined .

Just my two cent.....

Cheers ,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

7 day poll period as LN2 pointed out.

mrbunny said "I think leeching in general is banned."
infinite only without significant progress.

use default dipswitch settings , all .inps should have equal lives.
maybe change difficulty level ?

mrbunny said ghosts and ghouls has no ending ?
yes it does have an ending.
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Blost »

tar wrote: mrbunny said ghosts and ghouls has no ending ?
yes it does have an ending.
Ghouls'n Ghosts does have an ending, while Ghosts'n Goblins is loopable.
Dunno for "ghosts and ghouls" though 8)