Alphamame and nvram

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Alphamame and nvram

Post by Dax »

Hi all

Downloaded alphamame today and am slowly adjusting to this cave man style dos prompt thing. Here's my problem. Whenever I play a game(ex. kick) it creates an nvram file. I know this is a no no so I deleted the directory and tried again, but it just recreates the nvram directory and puts the kick.nv file in it. How do I keep this from happening. With the windows version of mame I just delete the nvram directory and its all good but apparently that doesn't suffice with alphamame. Any help would be super. Thanks guys
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yep, that's a new feature of MAME 0.63. Wonderful, isn't it? ;)

To avoid it, create a dummy file named NVRAM. MAME won't overwrite it.

Or another possiblity is to set the NVRAM folder to NUL.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Creating a dummy text file didn't pan out for me. Windows can rename a file to the same name as long as its a different file type ie, a text file and a zip file can both have the same name within the same directory. On the other hand two folders with the same name or two text files with the same name can not be created in the same directory. To me it looks like the solution would be to create a dummy nvram Folder. This way mame would't be able to create another folder with the same name. However mame just uses the dummy folder as the nvram folder it would have created and puts .nv files in it. Im sure im doing something wrong here, just not computer literated enough to figure it out.

You other solution seems to have worked though. I went to the configuration file and nulled out the nvram dir and cfg dir and that stopped it from creating the folders. Thanks much for the help Barry.