Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

xanadu71
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

About Gomoku Narabe Renju

Post by xanadu71 »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0

I think this game must be archived because the scoring rules is totally incomprehensible for a no-player af GO game. Or if someone could explain the rule...
"Bury me with my money", Simon GREEDWELL from "SUNSET RIDERS" / Xanadu71=LeClaqueurFou
http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugcp WR attempts, follow me !
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

The game is called renju not go... You can read the official rules of renju here:

http://www.renju.nu/rifrules.htm

What comes to scoring of this game (Gomoku Narabe Renju) I have no idea. If we'd know what those numbers at the end of the game represent
(Maybe wins, losses and ties?), then it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a proper scoring system for this game.

For example my score was 01 02 00

Maybe someone who understands japanese could enlighten us.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Are you joking ? Archive a puzzle game (and a very good one) ?

Let's score like that :
each win = 100 + time left (we start each play with 60 seconds)
a draw = 50

I've played a little, it is a very fun game ; if diabolik edits his score with scoring I'm proposing I will upload mine soon
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Phil, that scoring system sounds good to me except:
Phil Lamat wrote: each win = 100 + time left (we start each play with 60 seconds)
Because when that 60 sec. runs out you are always given extra 15 seconds time to place the next piece.

Maybe this should be:
each win = 100 + pieces left (each play starts with 40 pieces)

What do you think?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I had thought the same when I watched your inp and saw the 15 seconds stuff ; we should maybe try to make a few more games before valid this scoring (maybe 1000 for a win and 500 for a draw, so that number of pieces has no more influence than avoid ties)

I saw you win first game with blacks, then lose second with whites but your game wasn't over : why ? (I've done at least the same thing once and my game was over)

I will upload soon an inp with a draw
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Phil Lamat wrote: I saw you win first game with blacks, then lose second with whites but your game wasn't over : why ?
I thought the game ends when you lose two games in a row, because if you lose the first game you are given a second chance to win (with whites). Another possibility is that the game ends after two losses no matter when they come (consecutive or not).
(I've done at least the same thing once and my game was over)

Are you really sure about that? You won the first game, lost the second and the game was over? 8O Maybe the rules are more complex than I thought.
EDIT: That happened to me also couple of minutes ago...BTW I have now edited my score to the scoring system you proposed:
1000 for a win + number of pieces left
500 for a draw
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Well, good work Sam !
The scoring is working very well

For the game over or no after 1st loss, I don't know ...
I've just uploaded a game with a tie ; playing with whites is damned hard ... I think a good program which have the first stone (I mean when you play with whites) should never lose, don't you think ? There probably have been mathematical study on this game somewhere ...