commandu

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I never early don't know what is leeching. Only when I watch some inps from MARP, I learn what is leeching. And these inp-s are confirmed.
Last edited by destructor on Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Leechers...

Post by AL »

Yes , it seems a few Polish players are submitting scores using leeching .
And rather collectively . We all can leech on some game or another....but you lose credibility .

Leave ' leeching techniques ' to the tricks page .

Oh , and btw , I voted ' NO ' to the Nice Treaty......

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

i made myself auto deleted. as i said i thru with marp due to people like Davil. (u sucks man)
Davil: if u delete my record for commando i would be in position 76 what is yours if you are so good and honest player (i made the description under my commadno inp - u diddnt have to watch it)
AL: where is page like this??? why moderators and admin made my score confirmed instead of deleting or moving it???
I made a promise not 2 write at this forum anymore but this guys above really p....... me.
goodbye
PS: i stiil dont know what is this fight all about?? there are creators of this site and they made the rules - my inp is illegal okey pliz delete it!!!! who confirmed it??? nad why let him speak

that all folks bye
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Well my point was not to take away the glory of your gameplay Wuzel.. I know that you are a great player and I can see that in your recordings. Stop the leeching and get a score without it and I will salute you. I know that you can do that. You can prolly beat 1mil on Commando without those tricks.

That is the main thing that I call those things pathetic and lame. If I know that you were a poor player I would not have said anything more that "ban this recording".

The commando recording was pathetic for me, cause I know that you can do amasing scores without these tricks.

And yes, I did the same on games when I was younger back in the 80´s.. (I am 30 now:)
I was quite poor back then (still poor now it seems ) so I liked to find places like that in the game so I could play almost forever on a few coins.

Marp is different though. First you don´t have to bother about coins anymore.. also people are more interested in watching a recording that does not involve leeching etc. The fact is that people will not respect your great gameplay when it is covered in too much leeching.

Skill is needed to find those spots, but after that there is no skills left if you use those spots for leeching.

Cheers

ps Please don´t take this personally.. this has nothing to do with YOU as a person and you don´t have to leave marp. I´m only talking about the way of only using those leeching spots all the time.
QRS
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re.....

Post by AL »

Took the words right out of my mouth Anders :)

Do we all wanna go back to watching scores of 6m on G'n'G ?? I think not.

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Led Zeppelin said it best...

Post by JoustGod »

From their first album, a song..."Communication Breakdown". Obviously there are two things that aren't quite right here causing the breakdown. First off, I think now wuzel and his fellow players from Poland hopefully have a better understanding as to what is and isn't acceptable at this particular site. And hopefully the long-time MARPers understand where wuzel and others are coming from. Shake hands and play nice. ;-)

Secondly, in the area of confirmations, I think there needs to be a bit of clarification on when to confirm and when to not confirm. When I see a score as confirmed, I'm assuming that the viewer of the score is assuring us that the score was attained with respect to this site's rules and regulations. A simple confirmation based only on the view that the score advertised has been reached is not a good enough basis to confirm. I can understand why someone would be upset with an .inp that has an obvious MARP violation being confirmed. Confirmers, please at least post a question on this board if you have any doubts before simply clicking "confirm". Thank you.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Wuzel, I don't really understand this. You submitted that game knowing that it would stir up a bit of debate.
YES I M GUILTY and i have to be punished i ve posted this inp with knowledge that it would be a board discussion about it
So people start discussing it and you get all upset and walk off the board.
Every time you make a recording with leeching like this, people are not going to like it, it's a simple as that, and quotes like "I'm a leecher baby, so why dont you kill me" are just admitting to the fact that you are bending the rules and trying to stir up a bit of controversy. Good choice of song though :lol: .
You are a good player, I expect you could kick our asses at Commando, let's see that. That's the idea of this site, that's what people want to see. We would all be interested to see your leeching spots and bugs in games but on the tricks/bugs page, not on the leaderboard.
Just my two cents...
Darren
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

Secondly, in the area of confirmations, I think there needs to be a bit of clarification on when to confirm and when to not confirm. When I see a score as confirmed, I'm assuming that the viewer of the score is assuring us that the score was attained with respect to this site's rules and regulations. A simple confirmation based only on the view that the score advertised has been reached is not a good enough basis to confirm.
I thought that confirming was strictly for playing back verification, at least that was what I was told, when I became a confirmer.

But I never confirms scores where the player cheats or is doing illigal leeching, but that is my choice.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

kfx wrote:
I thought that confirming was strictly for playing back verification, at least that was what I was told, when I became a confirmer.

But I never confirms scores where the player cheats or is doing illigal leeching, but that is my choice.
That is correct, confirmers only verify accuracy of the score reported, we can't edit/delete anything and don't have tools for checking anything else like whether the inp was recorded at sufficient speed etc.

The only thing we can do is "not confirm" if we don't like what we see. We should resist that temptation though and leave it up to the editors and majority vote to decide how inp's with dubious gamplay techniques should be handled.

Tim
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

thx again for warm words QRS but... i will ask again what should i do with inp like this??? upload it or not?? iff not what about it?? remove from my hdd? maybe in this particular commando clone should be another banned technique in this place....
there is a much debate about toki - leeching not leeeching, rewards for finishing game - so what about games like commando? i can reach the end (whenever the game has no end ) with 3-4 men?? what next?? stop playing?? always come back my trojan inp - leeching or not - i reached the end of this game - why not confirmed? is it leeching or maxing score?? there is a timer an no extra life after 1 mln. okej i can do it without the leeching but is waiting a bit at stage 2 (second part) and 4 and finishing the stage with one man until the timer reaches zero is leeching??
i know that my commando contains massive leeching and i m not proud about it ( i know the rules and i know that they were broken) but honestly i m proud that noone before me had noticed that u can earn lots of point simply by avoiding grenades at this place.
i m not a good player - rather average, i m playing games which i played when i was teenager ( i m 28 now - respect QRS) and i dont have a full romset for mame so i try 2 sqished (??) as much as i could from games that i have

SALUT 2 ALL player from Japan - RESPECT (u thriil me with your skill at air shooters)
Pliz delete my score and this should end this topic
PS: thx also to someone who wrote that i had chosen the song properly - RESPECT ;)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

this inp really does belong in a tips and tricks page ( http://marp.retrogames.com/weird.htm ) for locating "cheeky" places you can gain infinite points in a game, but it doesn't belong in the regular submissions. We respect your attempts, but if rules are posted (which they are clearly for this game), please abide by them. like qrs said you could proly make a great recording with out leeching and have just as much fun too...
-skito
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

okey i've been redirected and this conversation is over. remove my inp from leaderboard and that all folks :-)
Chad: there is no such rule for this place named as Banned technigue for Commandu - pliz correct me if im wrong
1 more thing: how 2 use tihs weird page 2 put my inp there???
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think the "special rules" next to every commandu recording says it all, it doesn't litterally say you can't sit where you are sitting and kill lots of guys (it says "behind a bunker") but the jist is the same.

As for wierd page submissions email barry (the marp page maintainor) bsr@hnpl.net (at the very least I think it belongs there not only because of the leeching but because of the wrap firing around the screen)
-skito
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

wrap firing around the screen??? what does it mean??? may u speak clearly??

and about the leeching thing - i know but......... :-) :-) :-)
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

wrap firing around the screen??? what does it mean??? may u speak clearly??
I think that Chad means when you shoot at the bottom of the screen and the shots kill enemies on the top of the screen.
QRS