Vanguard Trivia

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Vanguard Trivia

Post by Chad »

I wonder how fast people will get this one:

Consider the tune in vangaurd when you hit the invincibility ENERGY:

Did this tune get stolen from a movie or did a movie steal the tune from vanguard?

which movie(s) was it?
-skito
BBH
Editor

Re: Vanguard Trivia

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:I wonder how fast people will get this one:

Consider the tune in vangaurd when you hit the invincibility ENERGY:

Did this tune get stolen from a movie or did a movie steal the tune from vanguard?
I think it was stolen from a movie...?
which movie(s) was it?
Superman :?:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

right on # 1 wrong on #2 (i just realize the net can play havoc to trivia, it's way too easy to get these things right if you use google). Also, an extremely easier question:

#3 some show stole the game begining theme of Vanguard? what was it? (not sure if the show stole it or it's some clasical music theme that eludes me that both of them stole it from)
-skito
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Well the beginning music is the Star Trek theme. I think its safe to bet that this was stolen from the movie not the other way around.
I dunno about the invincibilty music though. It sound a little like the beginning to Airwolf (remember that? hehe)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh yeah i forgot the older star trek movie, i assumed the stng theme was the only thing with that theme, you're right. vanguard must have stole the begining theme from the 1979 movie and since vanguard was such a cool game the stng makers decided to use it's theme :)

i'm glad no one's got the invincibility theme yet, at least i stumped a few people, nope not from airwolf (but it does sound close).
-skito
gameguru
Button Masher
Button Masher

vanguard music

Post by gameguru »

mmmm, I thought is was from a war film??

n old black and white one?

GG :roll:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i'm not saying i know all the films the theme is from, but i figured it out at least one colour film that vanguard stole it from this weekend when i saw the movie on tv. exact replica of tune (except it wasn't 2 bit music in the movie :)
-skito
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I know now but I'm not going to say cos I cheated! :wink:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

quite honorable. i'll post the answer this weekend. I remember thinking there was something familiar about that tune for decades never really thought about researching it on the net, only until after watching a movie that supposedly had nothing to do with vangaurd (and recently watching vangaurd recordings) it all added up. then of course i did a net search and viola, it's there too. it'd be pretty funny to have someone go on jeopardy with a wireless palm pilot connected to google :)
-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ok here's the answer:

Vanguard did steal the song from Queen from the soundtrack of Flash Gordon the movie. It's the tune where the hawk men swoop down to attack the big flying ship. I remembering knowing the tune was familiar in 1982 when i first played vangaurd but never figured it out until 20 years later after seeing flash gordon for maybe the 4th time :)
-skito