automatic mail

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

automatic mail

Post by Phil Lamat »

well, sorry to insist, but is it possible to get mail with the text of each post (like old board) ? because the only way I know to view new posts now is to connect, to click on "posts since last visit" to get the list (which is longer and longer ; about 10 per days) and to view them 1 by 1, but all it also displays previous posts on the same topic :(

Very long (as tommi said, pages are long to come), VERY ANNOYING and also expensive (in France we have not same good prices as US to surf on the web)

So did I miss something ? or is it possible to do that ? please !
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

so ???
I still think watching this forum is a pain for me ..;
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

6.9 seconds to load your posts. Half of that, at least, was waiting to just resolve the IP.

Broadband is waaaay too expensive here, but normal dialup connections are pretty cheap. I pay $NZ25/month (about $US11) for unlimited access.

I basically have no problem with viewing posts here, it's plenty fast enough. I just don't see how having the text of posts e-mailed to you speeds anything up. You still have to download it.

Ok, I've said enough... I guess I'm just too damn bored today. :wink:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

simple : if I have texts by mails, it takes me about 30 seconds to download and I can read it when I'm not connected ; with this board, it takes me about 15 or 20 minutes each day to read new posts :(
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

I think the point Phil is trying to make is that the 'posts since last visit' works by reloading ALL of the corresponding thread for each associated new post. E.g. over the course of a discussion involving many posts he has to reload the earlier posts many many times even though he's already read them before. If new posts were emailed to him then he would only get each individual new post not the entire associated thread each time as well. Furthermore there is not an option to read all the items offline like you can with email. I can see why this is irritating for him with a slow dialup connection I just don't know what can be done about it.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

search.php?search_id=newpost

this link only lists the last replied to threads (not the entire thread) and there is a link on this page (the most right column a small link to click) that forwards you to that last post so you don't have to scroll, but it does open the page that the last replied post is on.

still sounds like something easy to add to phpbb to mail all posts, seymore?
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Phil Lamat wrote:simple : if I have texts by mails, it takes me about 30 seconds to download and I can read it when I'm not connected ; with this board, it takes me about 15 or 20 minutes each day to read new posts :(
Wow. 8O I guess your ISP really sucks then. Either that or you only check new posts once a month. :wink:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

you're right barry : my connection sucks a lot !
and tim is right : reading the whole thread is too long (especially when you have to go to page 2 or more to see new posts)

I gonna try Skito's solution, but I hope Seymour will do something soon ...
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

I told you guys I'd try to work on it when I got back home, which was earlier today. I was out of town for 3 weeks, so I couldn't do anything then. :P

Next week is going to be busy for me - I have a lot of things to do with various web pages and other things, including these forums. I'm not going to give a definite date, or even if I'll add it. I think I'll want to get some more opinions before I start working on a major change, especially if it might possibly only be wanted by one or two people...

But I will be adding the few mods I had done to the boards before (previous to messing up and having to use an older backup).
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

thanks to answer chris .. i didn't know you were off a so long time ; I think if you want to know how many people like me are interested or prefer to get text of posts by mail like in old board, the best thing to do is a poll ...

I hope I'm not alone :)