Database problem

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Database problem

Post by Cicca »

Accessing to any of the dynamic pages, an error occurs:

Code: Select all

something happened

: No module named _mysql

File "index.cgi", line 23, in 
    import database
  File "/home/dooglus/replay.marpirc.net/database.py", line 4, in 
    import MySQLdb
  File "pythonlib/MySQLdb.py", line 19, in 
    from _mysql import *
Can someone fix it, please?
Thanks
Cicca
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Database problem

Post by mahlemiut »

If it can't find MySQL, then it seems like a server issue. Not much can be done.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Still broken.....who this issue could be addressed to...?! Who's hosting the server...?!
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

mahlemiut wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am If it can't find MySQL, then it seems like a server issue. Not much can be done.
Is Dooglus still active around here? Something might have changed on one of Dreamhost's updates, could be a simple fix somewhere. If not, if you know his login you can let me know and I can look (or you can) - I don't want to change his password on him so I can ;)
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I have sent an e-mail to Zwaxy, but no response so far (he's not particularly active)
I can upload or modify files on the server if need be, although I am no Python/MySQL expert.
- Barry Rodewald
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

I'm not familiar with his code at all, a few things seem to have been changed around the time the site stopped working, such as maybe pythonlib/ and pythonlib.old.

The whole instance actually was moved to a new shared server, it seems. With an OS update, so something there may have been broken. I don't know if there was something specific in here that was relied on (python and mysql specifically) - https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/art ... untu-Focal
Chris Gushue
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Going from Python 2.x to 3.x could be the main issue here, I seem to remember they are not all that compatible with each other.
- Barry Rodewald
ChrisP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ChrisP »

On behalf of those of us who love MARP, let me say that if the site disappeared it would be an enormous loss. GL with the issues, hoping for the best.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

ChrisP wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:02 pm On behalf of those of us who love MARP, let me say that if the site disappeared it would be an enormous loss. GL with the issues, hoping for the best.
MARP is a priceless patrimony in the arcade scene, and shall not disappear for any reason....
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

mahlemiut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:06 pm I have sent an e-mail to Zwaxy, but no response so far (he's not particularly active)
I can upload or modify files on the server if need be, although I am no Python/MySQL expert.
We have precise indication of files, and code lines in them, that are failing...could be, in the luckyest scenario, a matter of paths...any chance of having a look at them...?! I'd try to help.....
In any case, Dreamhost has a pretty responsive tech support.....
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

mahlemiut wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:20 pm Going from Python 2.x to 3.x could be the main issue here, I seem to remember they are not all that compatible with each other.
Seems python 2 is still there, they just updated the versions of both 2 and 3. It's possible a slight change broke something though. The bigger issue may be the update to MySQL 8? I'm not familiar with his code so I don't know how it's being used exactly.
Chris Gushue
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Wes Copeland, "wc" on the Donkey Kong Forum, and in charge there since Jeff Harrist passed away, indicates that if he can be of assistance with a Python or SQL issue he is willing.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?t ... n#msg46318
John Cunningham (JTC)
Zerstorung
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Zerstorung »

Without being able to look at the source code or a shell...
MySQLdb is not a built-in python package -- it has to be installed via pip.

Most likely scenario is one of two things:
1) The script was running via a python virtual environment that had the MySQLdb package installed, and post-change, an alias or something didn't get ported.
2) Python was changed or updated, and the post-change version doesn't have the MySQLdb package installed.

Happy to help any way I can.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Weehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:30 pm Wes Copeland, "wc" on the Donkey Kong Forum, and in charge there since Jeff Harrist passed away, indicates that if he can be of assistance with a Python or SQL issue he is willing.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?t ... n#msg46318
I hope he'll fix here....and it woudn't be a bad idea to consider to ask him to be in charge of the site (Python + MySQL) mantenance....unless someone in MARP with enough expertise (Zerstorung ?) offers to....
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

The best replay site in the world should not die, it would be a tragedy...