Shock Troopers Score Problem

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Shock Troopers Score Problem

Post by mahlemiut »

The problem I have with using videos, is bandwidth, since down this part of the world, you are charged through the nose for internet traffic.

Mostly, I've only used -aviwrite for short videos demonstrating some MESS driver I've been working on. For example: http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/fmt_raiden.avi ;)

One day, MESS will be able to emulate old DOS versions of MAME... and I might be wrong, but I think DOSBox already can.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I don't think mame has to do it with aviwrite and that is gawdawful to use and allow space enough for.

Me, you, anybody can run a "webex" on a desktop and have that streamed (i.e. "videoed") and sent to many other user screens. There must be a similar technology to just point a recording program like webex, right at the mame window, and make a youtube video out of it. maybe the windows events are a lot easier to send than video... yeah that does make sense, I can't really use the webex anology when it's not really video that's being recorded there. But it was a thought. If the only way mame videos can be made is with aviwrite we have a long way to go.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Barra wrote:
BBH wrote: Camtasia was choppy as hell even when I set it to 30 fps.
This is my run of Cosmo Gang the Video, with Camtasia used to capture the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nWTNh5v17U

This is the best I could get it, its a little choppy but I think pretty fair for a game with this much movement
Hmm yeah that is pretty good quality, looks ok to me. I want to avoid capturing the top part of the MAME window though.

Ok, I went back and tried Camtasia again and realized that I forgot to switch the video recording from 60 fps to 30, which made it really choppy. So I switched that but then I noticed that I had the same problem I had with Hypercam, there was no sound. Did some more googling and found out that the Stereo Mix thing that I downloaded new audio drivers for specifically to get this shit to work, was disabled by Windows by default for some reason. Enabled it and I get sound now... except now Camtasia gives me some crap about how in Windows Vista and Windows 7 it can't record sound to .avi files, only it's unique .camrec files. I really don't want to deal with that, I just want uncompressed .avi's to work with and then re-encode... but now that sound is working with Hypercam too I can just use that. It seems ok from initial testing, just need to record a complete game and hope the sound doesn't desync.
mahlemiut wrote:The problem I have with using videos, is bandwidth, since down this part of the world, you are charged through the nose for internet traffic.
Oh I know you've always had problems with bandwidth ;) That is one of the great things about replay files, their size when zipped makes them an easy download, and you get better audio/video quality from running an emulator directly then you do from any video file. The problem is, not everyone is MAME-savvy. "The masses" that might be interested in watching a MAME replay might not have the exact version of MAME (or any version at all), or the romsets required to watch the replay... or even the knowledge of how to setup and play back recordings while also accounting for things like deleting nvram files, etc. A youtube link is universally an easier thing for people to use, and does have one nice advantage over .inp's - it's much easier to skip forward to a certain part you want to see, and you have the option to rewind whereas with MAME you'd have to restart entirely.
Chad wrote:I don't think mame has to do it with aviwrite and that is gawdawful to use and allow space enough for.
What's so gawdawful about it? It works fine for me. Yeah you need a lot of hard drive space for raw .avi files, but I've got plenty of space... and new hard drives get cheaper and cheaper these days anyway...
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

BBH wrote:
Barra wrote:
BBH wrote: Camtasia was choppy as hell even when I set it to 30 fps.
This is my run of Cosmo Gang the Video, with Camtasia used to capture the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nWTNh5v17U

This is the best I could get it, its a little choppy but I think pretty fair for a game with this much movement
Hmm yeah that is pretty good quality, looks ok to me. I want to avoid capturing the top part of the MAME window though.
You can resize the screen capture window to anything you like, so including the top part is totally your choice.
Andrew Barrow
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

BBH wrote: I had the most luck with ZDSoft Screen Recorder, but there's still a tiny problem with it - if you're recording video of a game that doesn't run at 60 fps, then the audio that gets captured will slowly drift off-sync the longer it goes.
Ah yes, audio desynch. I used to fiddle with this stuff like 8 years ago (wow time flies), when capturing video from consoles. Anyway, if you have a good video and the audio is desynched you can fix it if you extract the audio, do "something" and then put it back. I forget what I did exactly but I'm pretty sure it was a basic option in VirtualDub, stretched/compressed the audio, or changed it's frequency or something. Anyway it's very do-able and there are tons of video editing ressources around. http://www.doom9.org/ was where I learned back then, lots of stuff in those forums.

Ok, forget my babbling about the old days and read the instructions on the 2nd half of this page: http://www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0064.html
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

BBH wrote:
Chad wrote:I don't think mame has to do it with aviwrite and that is gawdawful to use and allow space enough for.
What's so gawdawful about it? It works fine for me. Yeah you need a lot of hard drive space for raw .avi files, but I've got plenty of space... and new hard drives get cheaper and cheaper these days anyway...
Maybe i remember wrong but it was very slow to make the aviwrite and it seemed like it too gigs of space for minutes of recordings. There's no way we could make mass youtube videos that would stick if they are so huge. Well I'm also a newb to video stuff, so perhaps waiting and huge files are the norm. I'll have to try Camtasia.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Chad wrote:Maybe i remember wrong but it was very slow to make the aviwrite and it seemed like it too gigs of space for minutes of recordings. There's no way we could make mass youtube videos that would stick if they are so huge. Well I'm also a newb to video stuff, so perhaps waiting and huge files are the norm. I'll have to try Camtasia.
You must have missed the bit where I mentioned that you re-encode the video with a separate application (like avidemux or Super)...
- Barry Rodewald
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

mahlemiut wrote:One day, MESS will be able to emulate old DOS versions of MAME... and I might be wrong, but I think DOSBox already can.
Yeah, DOSBox works pretty good. I've used it on my laptop with Vista to watch a bunch of old replays form here. I think there's some I still couldn't get to work, but it let me see some I really wanted to watch.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Alright I figured out why Fraps wasn't working with MAME 0.106... had to run it full screen with -direct3d on, doesn't work in a window. It captures stuff beautifully with no hiccups or audio desyncs (as far as I can tell), but it doesn't record files larger than 4 gigs, it splits them up. Not really a big deal since the program I'm using to re-encode (AVS Video Converter) joins files together nicely, so it should be fine.

The_Pro wrote:
BBH wrote: I had the most luck with ZDSoft Screen Recorder, but there's still a tiny problem with it - if you're recording video of a game that doesn't run at 60 fps, then the audio that gets captured will slowly drift off-sync the longer it goes.
Ah yes, audio desynch. I used to fiddle with this stuff like 8 years ago (wow time flies), when capturing video from consoles. Anyway, if you have a good video and the audio is desynched you can fix it if you extract the audio, do "something" and then put it back. I forget what I did exactly but I'm pretty sure it was a basic option in VirtualDub, stretched/compressed the audio, or changed it's frequency or something. Anyway it's very do-able and there are tons of video editing ressources around. http://www.doom9.org/ was where I learned back then, lots of stuff in those forums.

Ok, forget my babbling about the old days and read the instructions on the 2nd half of this page: http://www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0064.html
Yeah, I tried Virtualdub's stretch audio to video length option, and it didn't really change anything. From what I googled it seemed like people generally don't get good results with it :( Maybe I was supposed to change the audio frequency first and then stretch it, I dunno.

Haven't tried the other option, but I imagine in extreme cases it's not going to help on games where the audio goes out of sync early. If it's a very slow gradual change then it would probably be fine. Either way I'm done using that capture program because I don't want to deal with the audio desyncs at all.

Chad wrote:Maybe i remember wrong but it was very slow to make the aviwrite and it seemed like it too gigs of space for minutes of recordings. There's no way we could make mass youtube videos that would stick if they are so huge. Well I'm also a newb to video stuff, so perhaps waiting and huge files are the norm. I'll have to try Camtasia.
Uh... yeah I think you remember wrong, have you used -aviwrite on a recent version of MAME? It's nothing like you're describing. Just playback a recording (or play a game normally if you just want to record play directly but it's probably better to make an .inp first) and let it play back fully with -aviwrite. Once you're done and press Esc you'll have your big-ass uncompressed .avi file. It takes exactly the same amount of time that it would take to play something back and screen record with Fraps or Camtasia or whatever. As long as your computer can handle the whole -aviwrite thing... I don't think my old computer was beefy enough to handle it but my new one is fine.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

BBH wrote:Alright I figured out why Fraps wasn't working with MAME 0.106... had to run it full screen with -direct3d on, doesn't work in a window. It captures stuff beautifully with no hiccups or audio desyncs (as far as I can tell), but it doesn't record files larger than 4 gigs, it splits them up. Not really a big deal since the program I'm using to re-encode (AVS Video Converter) joins files together nicely, so it should be fine.
Ah, I also used FRAPS for .106 but when you said it didn't work for "old" MAME versions I assumed the alphamame days. Guess .106 is pretty old too. Anyway, FRAPS is the best really.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Tried out Dosbox today, ran shock troopers 2nd squad inp no problem. Somehow, the first shock troopers inp on m37b15 still works on Win 7 64bit, which is more than I can say for many more recent versions.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The_Pro wrote:Tried out Dosbox today, ran shock troopers 2nd squad inp no problem. Somehow, the first shock troopers inp on m37b15 still works on Win 7 64bit, which is more than I can say for many more recent versions.
One day, we'll be doing this in MESS... (Well, you can already, with really old versions of MacMAME, back when it was able to run on a 68040)
Progress is being made on i386+ protected mode applications currently (Doom is now playable, for example).
- Barry Rodewald
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Oh the 2nd Squad inp works in DOSBox? That's good.

Anyway true to my word, I uploaded a couple Shock Troopers videos to youtube. I've been meaning to upload more of other games... they're not getting many views but that's to be expected.

Shock Troopers 32,450,300
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad 11,862,860

The 2nd Squad play is obviously not as good as that old score on MARP, it was a new recording I made with minimal practice beforehand, done mainly to test -aviwrite.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Actually MESS is pretty close to running MAME 0.1... it'll run with a bit of "debugger trickery". ;)

Ah, the days when you could fit MAME and all of its ROMs on a single floppy disk...

UPDATE: Debugger trickery is no longer required :P Grab the source from SVN and build your own if you want to test it out now, or wait until MESS 0.144u7 is released.
- Barry Rodewald