Gambling games, leaderboard points

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

destructor wrote:
Zhorik wrote:I agree. Archive the mahjong games too.

-gastrainga
What? No. Here are cool mahjong games, for example:
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
Mahjong Daiyogen
Jyanshin Densetsu - Quest of Jongmaster
On Jyanshin Densetsu - Quest of Jongmaster (janshin), I noticed that the special rules say score should be just EXP. The scores listed do not seem to follow the special rule; they are not EXP. Mahlemiut (br) did add comments for each of the recordings listing the EXP, but it seems the scores should be changed to follow the special rule.

-gastrainga
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I wrote:I think Philippe would want to kill me if we had a vote for archiving ALL mahjong games.
Not to mention the other PL :roll: :)
------------
Phil Lamat wrote:I agree with Des ; in mahjong games you've part of luck but also you need certain "science" of the game
About same as finishing solitaire, right? Do things in wrong order and you're in trouble to continue.
Phil wrote: ; the format of mahjongs (bet or vs) isn't important.

Why it's not important? Couple previous posters seem to think it makes a difference.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:
Phil wrote: ; the format of mahjongs (bet or vs) isn't important.

Why it's not important? Couple previous posters seem to think it makes a difference.
Makes a difference but still is fun for play. I like bet mahjongs also.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

destructor wrote: Makes a difference but still is fun for play. I like bet mahjongs also.
Sure they are fun. Let's ask it differently: If everybody would know how to play, would they make a meaningful competition to include for example at marp tournament.
I know gambling games would not, how you compete in a game where you can double your score/money with one guess...no skill whatsoever there.

I Would still like to hear Phil's reply to bet vs other mahjong. I can't really make a poll(about bet mahjong) without decent discussion first.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

If you let me the choice, I would erase the leaderboard (doesn't mean anything to me, too much different type of games, too much clones etc, I'm not sure I click once a year to watch it anyway).
I don't play mahjong for that, I just play because I like mahjong and I didn't put more than 3 years of efforts in my page http://perso.numericable.fr/plamat/marp/mah.html
just for leaderboard...
And believe me or not, I got some thrill with it, when one my score is beaten, when Donut claims a beautiful hand in his description, when we fought hard with Barry & infacc00 on club90s etc

But I'm off topic.
Let's back to archiving : the problem is that nowhere is written any criterion to say if a game has to be archived or not.
For me there is only 3 good reasons for archiving a game :
1-game or playback is broken
2-game isn't random
3-max score can easily be reached

IMO we need first to fix GENERAL RULES for archiving, and till it isn't done, archiving games is no more than discrimination ...

Just remember the first aim of Marp : possibility to know and watch what can be done on any Mame game, no ?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Phil Lamat wrote: Let's back to archiving : the problem is that nowhere is written any criterion to say if a game has to be archived or not.
For me there is only 3 good reasons for archiving a game :
2-game isn't random
You did agree previously that gambling games should be archived, so there might be: 4-based on luck.
IMO we need first to fix GENERAL RULES for archiving, and till it isn't done, archiving games is no more than discrimination ...
That's exactly what we're trying to do now, creating rules(to archive gambling games...that's pretty general rule). The thing is that if you put things as "game is broken-should be archived" into general rules, then what's the limit of being broken...wrong colours, bad graphics etc.
We would still have to discuss archived ones game-by-game basis.

If and when gambling games will be archived, I was thinking to make a sticky thread about them...Where you can see all info at same place, what are the definitions to archive a game etc.
Just remember the first aim of Marp : possibility to know and watch what can be done on any Mame game, no ?
Yes. But you can submit even when the game is archived. We are now talking about leaderboard, and trying to keep it as some kind of meter for videogames playing skill.
------
It can be argued that MAME-mahjong games are not really videogames, but boardgames on digital format. Yet, if there is enough skill involved they make a good competition.

Phil, you forgot to comment about difference of bet vs other mahjong.
If we would have a poll about bet mahjong or even all mahjong archiving, both would require imo 2/3 majority...which would be unlikely.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Phil Lamat wrote: For me there is only 3 good reasons for archiving a game :
2-game isn't random
Does reason 2 mean that it's time to archive Pac-Man?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:
Yes. But you can submit even when the game is archived. We are now talking about leaderboard, and trying to keep it as some kind of meter for videogames playing skill.
How many players will be play on games which are archived? I not for sure.
Do you thinks that in mahjongs playing skills are useless? In some games are required different type of skills not only move joystick in 4/8 directions and press fire button.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

The mahjongs I would like to see archived are the not-random ones (ponchin & ponchina for example) ;
but I don't see any reason to archive bet mahjongs, they are still mahjongs playable like all mahjongs (only scoring is different) and are not gambling games.

Of course, Tommi, you're right ; I forgot to add criterion 4 : no gambling games.
And I see what zlk wants to say with criterion2 ; maybe we can reformulate this.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

The TJT wrote: The thing is that if you put things as "game is broken-should be archived" into general rules, then what's the limit of being broken...wrong colours, bad graphics etc.
I was thinking of the games where you get the "this game doesn't work properly" when launching
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The bet mahjong games are likely to be just like other gambling games where the likelihood of a win can be set by the operator. Of course, no one can really tell what the DIP switches may do without a manual and japanese language skills.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Gambling games poll posted. For mahjong games we will have separate poll, but only if YOU want mahjong poll.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Gambling games, leaderboard points

Post by destructor »

I change my opinion about gambling games when I see 1st el_wil's scores. No comment. He is on 2nd position on leaderboard.
It should be changed.