vautour

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

vautour

Post by tar »

tjt , good work.
that bird on 6 - 1 was wacky.
it goes off the screen to the right , then left. then diagonal flashing spasm.
i watched to 335,000 at 100% with sound very closely.
when you got 200,000 the entire flock of birds attack all at once!
what i watched took at least 35 minutes.
304,000 on first ship.
315,ooo on second .
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Those last birds can do strange things sometimes. Never can be sure about last bird, very unpredictable sometimes.
One game some time ago a bird got invisible...I could see only bombs!

I think this one just got so scared having to face me alone, and totally lost hes head...they're very brave when they have all their friends with them, but having to face me alone...Now I can really see their true nature, chickens!

Now I'll try other roms without 100k trick, and see if I can scare them more!

Btw, has anybody ever gotten a 800points from an eagle. Intro screen says they're worth 50-800...but having looked about eagle points couple of days...best I got was about 640 points...And that was shooting it's both wings first and hitting her full speed on the fly. I think more speed eagle has more points I get :roll:
Shooting eagles and looking at points same time is too mut!

Tommi
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Hi Tommi...see my post on Phoenix at the TG forums. I have updated my info and jogged my memory somewhat.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah that 800 has puzzled me, i have never gotten that, but have tried many times, trying to hit each horizontal pixel i can for birds with no wings, assuming you usually get the most points for those. I thought i got up to 700 but that might have been dreaming or just confusing that with the usuall 400's.
-skito
ARB
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ARB »

Tommi and Chad: The most I've ever gotten from an eagle was around 940-960 points. So, getting 800+ points from an eagle is definitely possible. To do it you need to "bounce" a few shots off the eagle's legs, shoot off both wings and then kill the torso part, all in quick succession.

The quicker you do all of this, the higher the points gained. Have a look at my phoenix .inps and you should see some examples of it.

Hitting the legs will not damage the bird (its wings will stay intact) but it will cause the bird to squawk, flap its wings and become angrier, so watch out :)

This only really works for eagles which are near the bottom of the screen. If the eagles are near the top you cannot hit them with enough shots in a short time period, because you can only have a certain number of shots on the screen at the one time.

ARB (former MARP phoenix champ :) )
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

arb , i have the 404,000 .inp you recorded. Marathon game , no tricks.
also the pleiads are great .
try capitol cross between phoenix + pleiads.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tjt , well done on the IRECSA G.G.I Corp version .
this time i watched it without sound at 100% until
after the 200,000 trick , when the entire flock of birds
assults the ship. Then i turn up the playback speed to 200%.
and viewed the rest.
....350,000 on 1st ship.
5 X 100,000 suicide bonus
= 850,000
+ 18,936 set-up board clearance
ARB
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ARB »

tar: thanks for your comments :)

It's good to see that someone is interested in Pleiades. It's a very underrated game IMO and there are very few of us Pleiades players out there. There are a number of interesting things about Pleiades:
-the Centuri version does not add up your score correctly on stages 1 and 3. You earn less points that you should.
-the Tehkan version does add up your score correctly.
-However, there is no warp button in Tehkan and your ship moves and fires slower than in Centuri, making the game a lot harder.

I used to think that these characteristics were MAME bugs. However, I now have my own Pleiades machine (with both Centuri and Tehkan boardsets) and I can confirm that they are also present in the real thing. The MAME emulation is pretty accurate - gameplay seems 100% but colours and sounds were a bit off the last time I played MAME. I've been away from MAME for a few years though, so maybe they have improved in later MAME versions.

As for Phoenix, yeah I was quite pleased with the 404k score. I did use the 200k trick in that score though. Anyhow it was eclipsed by the TJT a long time ago :)

My computer is too slow for MAME these days, which is one of the reasons I haven't played it in ages.But I will be getting a new system soon and will definitely have a go at Capitol, Vautour, Batman Pt2, Falcon and Condor which are clone romsets that I have never played.

ARB
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

ARB wrote: My computer is too slow for MAME these days, which is one of the reasons I haven't played it in ages.But I will be getting a new system soon and will definitely have a go at Capitol, Vautour, Batman Pt2, Falcon and Condor which are clone romsets that I have never played.

ARB
Good! :P

You will be surprised about difficulty of Phoenix clone Condor. That one has timer, which I think is fun idea. The eagles at condor are so hard too, should develop some sort of pattern for them. 200k trick does not work as usual at 2-2 and 3-2, there could be some other pattern to get the bonus though. In addition condor has only 2ships to start with and I think it does not even award more ships, atleast with 200k trick. So very hard that one...as you can tell from the scores.

Imo batman part 2 is the worst "clone", not very faithful to original game.

About that german phoenixc romset we were talking about earlier...I don't know if similarity to phoenixc is valid argument for not to add it into mame. I think vautour IS same as phoenixc with only french logo(opinion based on gameplay). And hey...they did add those zillions of german gauntlet clones little time ago.

Thanks for sharing the technique for big eagle points, have to try that now. Propably works best at romset Phoenix.zip and similar roms, where ship is at it's large size when at extreme left corner...more easy to shoot eagles without killing them, because ship is not perfectly lined with "stop position" of eagles(when they change direction at left corner).

The game is the best shmup there is! Classic games still rock!

TJT
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

i watched the 800,000 phoenix score again today all the way through at 100% on wolf 81 -nosound . i am trying to learn . seems as if the 100,000 move is easier on advanced stages
.inp = 7.59Mb
february 19 , 2004
1 am
cool
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

Attachments
nibbler 69 game
nibbler 69 game
phoenixc.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

skito , i know this is a playbackability issue.
perhaps this entire thread can be transfered.
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/a/d/pi ... _wolf114.s
chalks up credits and music interludes keep resetting.
Attachments
el wil's snapshot in zip file.
el wil's snapshot in zip file.
0000.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
my picture
my picture
000.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I just confirmed these inps.

1st and 2nd places for falcon.

both played back perfectly using version noted by submitter.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

LN2 wrote:I just confirmed these inps.

Played back first place for Falcon, worked. Player got 1*200k+2*100k. I didn't know that it was a "100k clone". Maybe it's one where the trick works but can't be triggered by pattern but luck(duh)...have to check it out...

Also playbacked timer clone Falcona(one where 100k or 200k is not allowed) by Nibbler, nice play getting 30k.

Also very nice play from Nibbler at main romset, Phoenix. Hope he'd try to go for even bigger score.

I think Italian mafia is after my Phoenix scores, or something. :)
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

The TJT wrote:
LN2 wrote:I just confirmed these inps.

Played back first place for Falcon, worked. Player got 1*200k+2*100k. I didn't know that it was a "100k clone". Maybe it's one where the trick works but can't be triggered by pattern but luck(duh)...have to check it out...

Also playbacked timer clone Falcona(one where 100k or 200k is not allowed) by Nibbler, nice play getting 30k.

Also very nice play from Nibbler at main romset, Phoenix. Hope he'd try to go for even bigger score.

I think Italian mafia is after my Phoenix scores, or something. :)
Thanks to mahlemiut who activated my account :)

Nibbler69's .inps show how much of a Phoenix ninja she is !

I was finally able to install a 0.114 Windows wolfmame in my VMware WinXP image (to watch the impressive DragonBuster performance by brootle), next I'll install whatever wolfmame is needed to watch your replays, they'll surely be instructive - I don't know yet how to perform 100k's :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

[quote="Alessandro.SI don't know yet how to perform 100k's :)[/quote]

the 100k ones are SUICIDE ones. you can confirm this by watching those referred to inps.

you can see the 100k is awarded when he dies. just follow the setup and note he isn't shooting enemies but just goes to left-edge of screen after the start and waits for certain enemy to then get him there....which is reproducible without much practice.