Rolling Thunder 2: Not enough bullets in round 8.

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Malibu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Rolling Thunder 2: Not enough bullets in round 8.

Post by Malibu »

I've gotten to the final round of Rolling Thunder 2 and have made it up the elevator. Unfortunately there are not enough bullets to kill all enemies in the stage.

Even if I try to hoard bullets by sparing some enemies during the level, I still end up with none left by the level's end- leaving me stuck with that lame slow single shot. Is there something I'm missing? :?

Thanks in advance.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

Here is a replay that might help:

http://up2web.at.infoseek.co.jp/replay/13/rthun2j.zip

Use either mame36 or mame58.

Another one is at:

http://arcaders.q.fiw-web.net/cgi-bin/3 ... l=rthun2j1

This uses mameplus 98u3.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

better to have not enough bullets than not enough time to get through a level.

*sends a mean glare in the direction of Silent Dragon*
Malibu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Malibu »

Thanks, zlk. :) I got the first one to playback using MAME 32 0.36. Though the player does screw up a couple times, it's a nice all clear replay with the player having a decent number of bullets left to blow the final boss away. Beating him looks a lot easier than it does on the Genesis version once you're there.

There will probably be a few suicides in my next replay for score's sake since there is no remaining lives bonus. If you bite it in level 8, starting from the beginning is worth quite a lot of points- that blue Masker that takes 8 hits is worth 6,000 itself. Though when you want to finish the level, it's better to let him run.

I went around Googling for older MAME Plus versions (specifically 0.98u3) but had no trace of luck there.
BBH wrote: better to have not enough bullets than not enough time to get through a level.

Oh yes. That's true especially on the last level of SD. Also you get only ONE life- without a hitpoint refill between levels. Two lives ala Final Fight would be better.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

for the record, that second recording worked just fine for me with WolfMAME 0.98.
Malibu wrote:
BBH wrote: better to have not enough bullets than not enough time to get through a level.

Oh yes. That's true especially on the last level of SD. Also you get only ONE life- without a hitpoint refill between levels. Two lives ala Final Fight would be better.
Yup. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that, guess it was one of those ploys to make people shove more tokens into the machine. It's also pretty much impossible to beat some of the bosses in Guardians of the Hood within the allocated time limit without having to continue, but nobody cares about Guardians of the Hood. (not that Silent Dragon is a really popular game either, but yeah)
Malibu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Malibu »

BBH & Mahlemiut- Thanks for the heads up on WolfMAME also reading regular MAMEPlus inps, as well as the link to that mog-rep site with the older versions. :) Now that I've seen the other replay, it is good but the score is kind of low - around 400K or something.

On Gemant's site, I see a high score of 995,530 by HST-SPT who I think suicided on level 8 a few times. For my next RT2 replay I think I'll use the remaining lives to get some more points, and then go for an all clear on the last life. That final boss is a sitting duck.

Guardians of the Hood is a choppy mess of a game. Silent Dragon is better than that one- and for that matter also Double Dragon 3, another East Technology effort.

Regarding time limits- In one of the larger levels of Assault (where you encounter the white jumpjet tanks that drop from midair and fire homing missiles when they land), the time limit is a problem. I usually have one Time Up in that stage thanks to this one being so long. You've got quite a distance to go before getting to the turret bank.
Malibu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Malibu »

GOOD NEWS: I finished level 8, finally.

BAD NEWS: Unfortunately, the last level used some credit feeding (ugh)- so there won't be a new recording yet. :( Hopefully, it won't be much longer until I can get a one credit clear.

If you have about 110 bullets when you're at the elevator then the odds are good. Just be ready to "Quickshot" a handful of guards on the top floor once you get there.