Allowing Default Settings on One Joust Romset

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Allowing Default Settings on One Joust Romset

Post by Zhorik »

Since the decision with Robotron was made to keep one romset on default settings to allow marathon submissions, I would like to propose that the same thing be done for other games where "only 5 lives" special rules have been added. In particular I'd like to propose that the "joustwr" - Joust (White/Red Label) romset have its special rule changed to allow default settings.

-George (gastrainga)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Allowing Default Settings on One Joust Romset

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

I think this subject will go looooooooooong away...
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Attachments
This game's easy, dude!
This game's easy, dude!
sophiejoust.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 8169 times
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Damn

Post by lippsman »

Damn, even the cat plays better than I do...........
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Well this topic wasn't so popular after all. Maybe you were distracted by a funny cat pic ;)

Maybe you're afraid that this opens some kind of pandora's box?
I don't know if we would have many similar requests if this would pass. Personally I'd like one T&F romset(maybe atlantol) to be marathon too.

Would be nice to hear Joustgod's opinion, being 1st place gun at joustwr.

In principle I personally wouldn't have anything against having one Joust romset for marathon(=default) settings. If there's no conversation on this, and George's life is not depending on this...it would be pretty funny to make a poll.

So to forget this topic or not...
-----

Another loosely related issue. How do you feel about stargate settings? I think TG settings for the game are a joke.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Nobody has an opinion on this one way or another? Personally, I would like to see a 10M+ Joust recording at MARP. Of course the 5 Man settings are better for competitions, but in genearl I'd like to see games have a romset that uses default settings, particularly when those settings were what was in the arcades.

-gastrainga
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I would also support a marathon setting for one of the romsets.

The other thing I'd like to see, though, is the ability to have multiple "tracks" for a romset. One track could be designated for regulation play, another track for default settings like the Joust and Robotron marathon setting, and other tracks for other purposes (eg, TGTS). If I'm not mistaken, something similar to this is done for various tournaments where the MARP romset submission name is something like "t8-romname". Multiple tracks would not be needed for every single rom, but I think it would make situations like this more manageable.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

given the leaderboard here at MARP essentially is meaningless now, yes, allowing a marathon track for one of the Joust tracks is something I wouldn't mind.

if we had the nice, older leaderboard, then that wouldn't work as so many can marathon Joust...just like so many can marathon Robotron, it is just an endurance contest.

with 5-men only you still get to see the skills of the better players so you really aren't missing much seeing them play a marathon.

watch Don Hayes play centipede for 5 minutes versus 5 hours you get to see the same great skill. you really see nothing additional in the extra 4:55 time.

speaking of settings though, there still is that one 1st place q*bert score of 2.5 million by that guy that I think used marathon settings.

it is NOT a 5-man score. This was posted several times by others over the past 1+ year yet his score remains.

Can we get this re-reviewed and checked for and removed?
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

Sigh....next we'll be hearing about marathon settings for a version of Track'n'Field......

Cheers,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re...

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote:Sigh....next we'll be hearing about marathon settings for a version of Track'n'Field......
Would it be so wrong? That's how we played at arcades. One round is pretty good setting though.
Ummm... if you read my post this same thread..
I wrote:Personally I'd like one T&F romset(maybe atlantol) to be marathon too.
:oops: :D

--------

I guess we will have a poll at this(joustwr) soon.
I hope someone has serious intentions to marathon it, if that side wins...so that this topic and poll won't go wasted.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Poll posted.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

The TJT wrote:Poll posted.
I don't like to play "marathon" settings, however sometimes is interesting to watch it. Fair play! Good game to YOU guys! :)
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions