snakepit

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

snakepit

Post by Weehawk »

John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

edited, but looks like you got some competition john.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:edited, but looks like you got some competition john.
He finished on his very last man.

I'm sure he can improve on that anyway. (Each man is worth 10k bonus points at finish)

Mark, remember to delete snakepit.nv before recording. AlphaMAME didn't disregard it as WolfMAME does.
John Cunningham (JTC)
MDARULZ
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MDARULZ »

Thanks for the kind words (as always), John. I indeed forgot to delete NVRAM, but remembered on subsequent games, including the one I just uploaded (604,900). Just in case it would somehow help, I included the NVRAM file generated when I played the game.

Regarding the 604K game: finally, this was decent effort, tho the number of lives I lost was still excessive. I plan on taping future games, to prove I didn't use any screen overlays or markings. I heard that some players back in the 80's cheated by doing this, so that the floor layout could be seen when the rooms went dark.

Well, here's hoping that I can push the score up just a bit more. Only time will tell... - Mark / MDA / MDARULZ

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com - Chronicling the history of the 'Golden Age'...
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

MDARULZ wrote:Thanks for the kind words (as always), John. I indeed forgot to delete NVRAM, but remembered on subsequent games, including the one I just uploaded (604,900). Just in case it would somehow help, I included the NVRAM file generated when I played the game.

Regarding the 604K game: finally, this was decent effort, tho the number of lives I lost was still excessive. I plan on taping future games, to prove I didn't use any screen overlays or markings. I heard that some players back in the 80's cheated by doing this, so that the floor layout could be seen when the rooms went dark.

Well, here's hoping that I can push the score up just a bit more. Only time will tell... - Mark / MDA / MDARULZ

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com - Chronicling the history of the 'Golden Age'...
Oh my goodness...

Much better work on that one.

If you can improve much beyond that I may be out of my league. I don't want to devote the rest of my life to the game...

Hey, I heard Crystal Castles is expected to make a big comeback, you might want to start brushing up on that one just in case...

:wink:
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

MDARULZ wrote: I didn't use any screen overlays or markings.
Well that could be useful at Gravitar. Unfair though.
MDARULZ
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MDARULZ »

Weehawk wrote:
Oh my goodness...

Much better work on that one.

If you can improve much beyond that I may be out of my league. I don't want to devote the rest of my life to the game...

Hey, I heard Crystal Castles is expected to make a big comeback, you might want to start brushing up on that one just in case...

:wink:

Thanks again for the compliments, John. Indeed, the 604 game was decent. I hope to push it up to around 650K, but... that will be really tough. Trust me, your 626K game was great as well, but I understand what you mean about it being at the limit. Getting to, much less beyond, your score is quite difficult. I still want to play the original coin-op again (and, am working on that prospect via VAPS), as I did in the 80's.

I don't know how long Snake Pit will take for me to make a really good score, but, it will take the rest of my life to beat Frank on Crystal ! Well, maybe not quite that long, but, I'll need to devote a long swath of time to it, at the very least. As far as it making a comeback, do you mean on MAME, or the arcade ? No one is going to contest our arcade scores, except maybe for Chris Ayra, and possibly Don Hayes (I'm trying to encourage him to play it). On MAME, there's still the control issue, tho I will try to find an old version that actually utilizes the mouse correctly. Wish me luck... - Mark
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

As far as it making a comeback, do you mean on MAME, or the arcade ?
I mean just in the general public eye.

Like if you really devoted yourself to it, women would be fistfighting each other to sleep with you, and major corporations would be in multi-million dollar bidding wars to obtain your endorsement for their products.

I also heard that studies recently had indicated that the later levels of Snake Pit may cause cancer in laboratory animals that have mastered the game..

:twisted:
John Cunningham (JTC)
MDARULZ
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MDARULZ »

Weehawk wrote:Like if you really devoted yourself to it, women would be fistfighting each other to sleep with you, and major corporations would be in multi-million dollar bidding wars to obtain your endorsement for their products.

I also heard that studies recently had indicated that the later levels of Snake Pit may cause cancer in laboratory animals that have mastered the game..
I think the only time that there were video-gaming groupies (at least, as far as coin-ops are concerned) was in the early 80's. Rumor has it that Billy Mitchell benefited on one or two occasions. I also heard that this may have been the case for a few of the 'That's Incredible' contestants, from when the show aired a video-gaming competition. Believe me, a geek like me doesn't 'score' as a result of his prowess on Crystal Castles ! If only women (and major corporations !) knew of my skills...

As far as the later levels of Snake Pit causing medical issues, I can believe it, tho it's more from stress than anything. Let me tell you, the epithets fly when I'm playing the game, especially around level 24 ! I'll risk it, tho, as the satisfaction from record scores in gaming is almost as good as a nice selection of gaming groupies... OK, it's about half as good ! 'Nuff said... - Mark / MDA

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

MDARULZ wrote:Believe me, a geek like me doesn't 'score' as a result of his prowess on Crystal Castles ! If only women (and major corporations !) knew of my skills...
Have you tried, telling them about your skills...hehehe...

Thought of the day:
-A real geek can score only with MAME, TJT circa 2005