TG 2005 Bounties

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

A few thoughts items come to mind after reading the bounties.doc Word Document.

There should be a statement that you reserve the right to change or clarify the rules at any time and for any reason.

There is no mention of game speed (adequate FPS) etc. This is relevant for emulators and for PC games - e.g. Doom 3 where you need a decent video card to get the full 60fps. Do you accept lower framerates?

These may be addressed somewhere on the TG forums but I didn't see anything after a quick look.

The estimated difficulty rating is very strange and nonlinear. I realise that until someone breaks a record it's hard to know how hard it was. Just the same after suffering a sickening death in level 2 on a feeble Doom 3 Nightmare attempt I think the 4.5 difficulty rating is a wee bit low.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Hi!

Saw the list of bounties for Y2K5.

I saw another japanese web site other day. This guy KUB has scored 727k & 606k on Crazy Climber (Japan). This guy is totally amazing to watch and I wonder if he could do it on the real machine. I wonder if he could do it on the US version or not to beat the bounty score.

Also, check it out on his scobra and cclimber2 score.

Later,

NotMan
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

NotMan wrote:Hi!

I saw another japanese web site other day. This guy KUB has scored 727k & 606k on Crazy Climber (Japan). This guy is totally amazing to watch and I wonder if he could do it on the real machine. I wonder if he could do it on the US version or not to beat the bounty score.

Later,

NotMan
Sounds great but where is the URL? :)
QRS
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

QRS wrote:
NotMan wrote:Hi!

Later,

NotMan
Sounds great but where is the URL? :)
http://up2web.at.infoseek.co.jp/replay/18/cclimbrj.zip

Scores 727,150

http://up2web.at.infoseek.co.jp/replay/ ... nomiss.zip

Scores 621,700 but clears the first loop (four buildings) without losing a life. The Japanese for some odd reason refer to this as "No Miss"

They both play with MAME .58

This has got to be the best player ever on this game, and I'll be posting this to the "Must See Recordings" thread.

Thanks NotMan!

*** EDIT (8/11/14) ***

The links above no long work. The .inp files are available at:

http://www.slither-gdi.net/cclimbrj_nomiss.zip

http://www.slither-gdi.net/cclimbrj_727150.zip

For the MAME-challenged, a two-part video of the 727k game is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3a57lkYpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fIHeMv1NY
Last edited by Weehawk on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Thanks!
QRS
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

tmorrow wrote: There is no mention of game speed (adequate FPS) etc. This is relevant for emulators and for PC games - e.g. Doom 3 where you need a decent video card to get the full 60fps. Do you accept lower framerates?
I helped out for the Doom 3 rules. In the end I didn't mention that a gamer should use settings appropriate for their own computer. Partly because I forgot and partly because I didn't feel it needed mentionning. If someone is playing with a framerate that makes it difficult to watch, imagine how hard it must be for them to play. If you're playing with 10fps, you are going to die. If it was just a speed run you might squeek by, but in this case you will have to defeat monsters at some point. Anyone going for this would no doubt want to lower their resolution and detail in order to get an acceptable frame rate.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
rmruczek
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Tmorrow's Query

Post by rmruczek »

Hello fellow gamers:

Gamer "Tmorrow" asks a valid question about changes to the rules.

The general indemnification clauses serve multiple purposes. If a rule is knowingly and glaringly wrong due to a typo (i.e. "Frogger" was originally set at 3 starting lives and should have been 5, for example), then those need to be changed.

Rules clarifications (i.e. banned tactics) largely affect the 1st-person and 3D home console titles. The bigger they make 'em, meaning the scope of the game, and the potential for multiple possibilities for creative abuses of the program, a banned tactic may come up from time to time.

The "Spirit of the Game" clause is pretty much common sense. Driving up the side of the road in "Spy Hunter" and avoiding all collisions, for example, is a no-no, yet if I forgot to include that proviso in my original rules, and need to add it later, then it needs to be added.

I'm not changing rules here t protect my cash. Considering that I've just had $500+ in claims already made, that is certainly not the case. I merely don't want to have a "bounty" given out unless it was fairly achieved.

If, for example, someone was to come out on Decembre 30th and announce that they discovered a secret way to warp in "Joust 2" from wave 1 to 99, that would definitely not be honoured even though it was not covered in the rules. That's an extreme example, mind you, but I think it serves the purpose well.

The "bounty" challenges are made for fun, and I am very glad that the first four were taken down so fast.

Onto other matters. I've already started making a log of possible and probably choices for both the 2006 announcement, as well as potential additional announcements in 2005. A certain title involving a little pig is one of my top choices (hint hint).

More on that later.

Last question - someone mentioned a Japanese player getting awesome scores on "Super Cobra"...any idea how high he reached ?

Robert
Robert T Mruczek
Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee
Star Wars classic arcade marathon champion
rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Tmorrow's Query

Post by Weehawk »

rmruczek wrote: Last question - someone mentioned a Japanese player getting awesome scores on "Super Cobra"...any idea how high he reached ?

Robert
John Cunningham (JTC)
rmruczek
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Nice !!

Post by rmruczek »

Hi Weehawk:

Cool...that's a 5th place score if he submits it to TG. Donald Hayes just cranked out a 255K world record on the arcade version at Funspoy on January 8th. I'm at 179K myself. Had a great game in November last year where I reached the 2nd maze on my 1st ship, and promptly lost all but one ship at the very beginning due to the tank. I got disgusted and walked away.

Donald said he entered the 3rd maze with 2 ships in reserve, and ended up getting the booty on his last ship. With the extra awarded, he carrier that game on to the saucers (stage 8). He said that surprisingly he did not lose a single ship in the 1st three city stages, which is an incredible feat in and of itself.

Robert
Robert T Mruczek
Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee
Star Wars classic arcade marathon champion
rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Donald Hayes just cranked out a 255K world record on the arcade version at Funspoy on January 8th.
Ooo, I wish it were actually 255K, but that's a typo on Robert's part. The actual score was 225,270. Yes, I made it to the UFO stage of the fourth loop, and did not have a single death in the city stages (although I did have at least one brain-damaged death elsewhere).
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Oops!! Forgot to mention about the URL. Thanks to Weehawk for mentioning the URL. Yeah! I should've mention those inps for Must see recording thread.

But... check it out the scores on ddragon2 and crimefig. Both of them finished in one credit. Although, I couldn't get Vendetta inp working, due old rom set. :(

Later,

NotMan
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

bounty #33
Cosmic Guerella
ok.
Donut
has current record
will report back

good work diabolik
Stratovox
way to go man
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Rat wrote: Congrats :)
tar wrote: good work diabolik
Thanks guys!

Congrats to destructor for collecting his 2nd bounty. :)

BTW, Rat: I don't think you need to do a video for any of the Arcade/MAME bounties.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

diabolik wrote:BTW, Rat: I don't think you need to do a video for any of the Arcade/MAME bounties.
Except Track N Field
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee