Raiden Fighters

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Raiden Fighters

Post by NotMan »

I was wondering is that game if fully emulated, yet. Has Mame Dev finally decrypted the graphics roms set or it still showing those graphics garbage on the screen? Any comments would be great.

NotMan
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

It's certainly more playable than the two Raiden Fighters cabinets I found in Austin, Texas. One of them is a crappy bootleg (which is actually the least of its problems), and both suffer from bad joysticks, making it difficult to move diagonally.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Raiden Fighters

Post by mahlemiut »

NotMan wrote:I was wondering is that game if fully emulated, yet. Has Mame Dev finally decrypted the graphics roms set or it still showing those graphics garbage on the screen? Any comments would be great.
It's been "playable" since around 0.81 or so - but the decryption has steadily gotten better. Backgrounds are pretty good, and sprites still need a fair bit of work, but you can fairly easily see the shapes.

EDIT: Here's a shot as of 0.87u2:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Any idea if Wing War is playable now? I have roms for 83, at which it wasn't. Propably not yet, cause it's same driver as swa. But WW looks REALLY interesting game...meaning videogame-feel graphics plus gameplay could be well above ordinary....That remains to be seen.

Sky Target is also semi-interesting game. Maybe next release.

First should learn my classics though...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

As of 0.87u2, Wing War is still marked as not working. The only game on this hardware (Sega Model 1) that is marked as working is Virtua Fighter (some glitches however). BBH says that Virtua Fighter runs at a reasonable speed (some frameskipping) on his 2.4GHz P4, if you're looking for a speed report. :)
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Thanks for the WW info. Hope RB gets it figured out at some point...Or Barry Rhodes :lol:

That is a good speed report, since I have P 2,4G too...
Dunno if I'm willing to learn VF "25 moves combos" though, hehe.
VF did impress me a bit when I saw it arcades...But VF2 really made an impression, graphically, especially that old monk demonstrating some moves...Guess that was a bit Matrix like, or vice-versa. Why BBH hasn't submitted at VF yet beats me.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:Why BBH hasn't submitted at VF yet beats me.
the gameplay itself is too glitchy in its current state... it's impossible to "juggle" characters, any knockdown attack makes them drop to the ground immediately. Some of the "pounce" attacks never seem to make contact on fallen characters either. I think I'll just wait until the glitches are ironed out. (not that I ever had any foolproof way of beating the CPU in VF1... in part 2 you could back off, then dash in and throw, but can't do that here I think)
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

I KNOW mahlemiut loves this game.

now i know why.
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/ ... 0/70fc7b9e
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

mahlemiut wrote: It's been "playable" since around 0.81
- game not working status on wolf 88.
boot up and i get a blank black screen.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Of it's course it's marked as not working - the graphics decryption and probably the i386 CPU core are incomplete.

But it does run....

*notices that tar as come up with yet another fascinating avatar...*
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Wing war and Sky Target still not working.
Interesting would be to try Thunder Blade, that I recall playing at arcade some years ago...Driver status is now marked as "good"...The only problem is that don't have latest roms, 317-0056 cpu is missing from my set and other are named wrongly(never got around trying rommanager).
Guess I'll have to install some good newsreader for rom download, that enables zip download. Tried previously doing that, got bored with all different wtf metaformat stuff and installing several parts to my PC.
Any suggestion for a good newsreader that has all in one packet + easy to install/use? ;)

mahlemiut wrote:
*notices that tar as come up with yet another fascinating avatar...*
Yeah, that is videogame related if game is Marble...
The difficult part is to figure out which game QRS's new avatar is from :)

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:Yeah, that is videogame related if game is Marble...
The difficult part is to figure out which game QRS's new avatar is from :)
Ummm... uhhhh.... that's a tough one.... :lol:
- Barry Rodewald