just wanted to say hello…

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

bub_bob
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

just wanted to say hello…

Post by bub_bob »

I just wanted to say hello, me beeing a mac user, i hope that there is any chance that i can take place in the competitions. because i´m really looking forward to that :-D I´ve been watching this marp page since mame version .32 and now i finally feel that i can at least can keep up with the rest if i have a good day.. been training a lot;-) anyway this looks like a nice place to be ande i´m´´looking forward to some intressting challanges....

guido

p.s.
help me here. which stick do u recommend? hana ho or arcade X?
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

oh, a Mac user! woohoo!

I also am a mac user and have submitted many scores using macmame.

They are under my name of Rick Carter.

In short, we can't participate in MARP tournaments. However, you are free to submit replays/scores for games to the MARP scoreboard.

I am a macmame confirmer so I can watch and confirm your scores.

Perhaps after you have been here a bit and submitted some scores you can confirm some of mine as there are no other macmame confirmers but me right now.

The tips for recording using pc-mame here on the site generally apply to macmame also.

You want to move or trash your nvram folder so nvram files aren't saved or loaded when recording. For many games it doesn't matter, but for many others it results in not being able to properly playback the replay.

Also, turn off the checkbox that enables automatic frameskip.

overall, it's best to use a fixed frameskip value throughout a recording.
This way it can be duplicated on playback. For many games the same frameskip is needed as when recorded for it to playback.

You want to adjust the frameskip so your game runs at least at 90% speed. You can see this by launching a game, then pressing F11 to reveal stats on the top of the display. Then play the game a little and see what the speed is. If less than 90%, then you need to add some frame skipping.

You can increase and decrease frameskip levels using cmd-[ and cmd-].

Once you find a frameskip level where almost all the time the game speed is 90+%, then you can quit the game, go to misc and click the save replay button, enter a filename, then relaunch the game(it will remember the frameskip value you last set. and play.

If you are using something other than frameskip 0(no frames skipped) be sure to note it in a readme with the inp or in the description through submitting.

Also, make sure you zip the file(s) into 1 zip archive. You can use Aladdin's dropzip for this or other available utils. If you use dropzip, first go to the preferences and for the autoconversion stuff click NONE. You want a raw cross-platform zip file even pc users can properly extract.

any other questions feel free to post here or send me a private message.

I am in the process of moving though so I might not be available that often if at all the next couple of days....so wait a few days for any replies.

If using OS X, then use the latest build which is 0.77u2a
If using OS 9.x, then use macmame 0.66.2.x

Good luck!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Wow, the guided tour. :)

I would also presume that he's at least reasonably well knowledgeable on MAME too.

It should be noted though, that MacMAME inps are generally not usable for non-Mac users. I'd suggest that you use X-MAME, if you're using OS X, as that should be far more compatible than MacMAME will ever be. Otherwise, you'll pretty much have to rely on Rick for confirming your scores.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

as to your controller question rick can best answer, i have a hotrod SE and enjoy it a lot but really want a spinner, so if i had it to do over again i'd go for the slikstick

http://www.slikstik.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3

a bit pricey but it's got the works with usb support, which i think macs may use? maybe not.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I think Macs have USB support... but I'm sure FireWire is far more common.

I have an OzStick Super Single USB which works fine in both MAME and X-MAME just using the -joy switch. No drivers required. :)
- Barry Rodewald
bub_bob
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by bub_bob »

Hi thanks so far :-D The X-Mame is a cool hint! Is X-Mame allowed in competitions? The slik stick looks really nice but that baby will ruine mme right now 500 bucks is pretty heavy, but than again I could save some. I´ve been using the keyboard forever, so I might as well use it a little longer…

I try installing X-Mame later this day...

cheers
guido
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you know i was looking at the junior models of the slick sticks, and the bottom line costs 169$ which is not too shabby, with spinner is 260$, i was figuring i'd have to fork over 500$ for the spinner combo too but 260$ isn't horrible.

Official Xmame isn't allowed in tournaments yet, we do have a binary version of xwolfmame though that runs on linux http://wolfmame.marpirc.net . might be able to get a mac runable version if we can get cross compiling working or access to a mac. however ln2 has reported xmame gets bad performance on macs, will look forward to hearing your luck with compiling regular xmame.
http://x.mame.net/
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

From what I've read so far on cross-compiling, it looks like Mac system headers may be required to build Mac apps.

There's a lot of info out there on cross-compiling, but it tends to mostly be out of date or not quite relevant to the systems involved. But still, there's a lot of reading out there.
- Barry Rodewald
bub_bob
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by bub_bob »

slick stick is on it´s way! hanks fo the pointing out that puppy to me seems to really be the best available for money. Ordered today, -my wife will probably kill me (because I went for the real deal the 2 player version.) But hey -maybe she will even join me in some magical drop III (her favorite :-D)

I didn´t have any look compling the x-mame version yet :/

guido
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

way cool, hey guido, did you get a spinner or trackball (or both) with that dual setup?
-skito
bub_bob
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by bub_bob »

I had to get both :-D I wasn´t playing a decent round of arkanoid and simular for years so I just had to get a tornado spinner…

Can´t wait for that puppy to arive. It will be at least ten more days so…
guido
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

how do hemp seeds and game controlers mix?
-skito