Tell me a story :)

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Rat
Button Masher
Button Masher

Tell me a story :)

Post by Rat »

I want to hear your tales of games that have been interrupted and lost when you were on a winning streak.

In the arcades of old there were many distractions.

Now at home the distractions are different.

Whats the best score you ever had ruined and how ? :)
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

At home, you're right in that the distractions are different. there's beer for example. If i want to play a game of something i schedule it early in case of alcohol heheh... then you have the kids asking you why you play such inadewuate looking games. and the missus moaning at the amount of time you spend playing them. the inability to answer the fone without rushing the caller off...

the fone's prolly the worst. because you can't pause. and at the end of the day you never had fones in the arcade back in my day heheh...

dont really have any stories, but not having enough time should be up there... WCC3 is case in point :P

there's been plenty of hyper sprts games interuppted through family commitments tho :?

Adi
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

...As "daddy, why you use autofire?" :twisted:

Joking of course, but just couldn't resist that one. that was looow 8O
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re.....

Post by AL »

Once lost a game of Hyper Olympics , I think 4m , when a train went overhead in the arcade I was playing in ( Regal Pierrot , opposite Connolly Station , Dublin City Center ) , and caused a split-second power cut . Zap.....

At least I got my 20 pence back . Also the place where I stayed on for 30 odd hours ( 18m ) , so the paranoia was abound .

Also , me and me mate got turfed-out of an arcade for playing Bubble Bobble too long ( again , 18m ) , plus the fact that we got that 255 credits thing didn't help our cause :)

As for home distractions , beer is my worst enemy.

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

The TJT wrote:...As "daddy, why you use autofire?" :twisted:

Joking of course, but just couldn't resist that one. that was looow 8O
Funny Guy. :arrow:
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

AL wrote:Also , me and me mate got turfed-out of an arcade for playing Bubble Bobble too long ( again , 18m ) , plus the fact that we got that 255 credits thing didn't help our cause :)
<rant>

Dunno if you were so lucky as to come across a Bubble Bobble machine that reset itself every time an umbrella was used. Progress go BYE-BYE

Arcade Owner (while staring right at ya for the past 5 minutes or so until the machine resets): "I didn't see it happen, you aint gettin s*** back. Next time don't play." BLARGH

Broke 1,000,000,000,000,000 at Mars Matrix recently...the crowd of about 7 or so people oohing and frickin aahing screwed up mah cadence...

/me gets nervous as all hell when he's being "observed" -_-;

Got a Tales From The Crypt pinball machine cut off by the owner of a pizza place back in NYC, since I was about to kill his high score...was about 13-14 at the time so of course other games would get interrupted by the frickin ghetto children asking me for money, f***ing around with my game when I tell them to bugger off (ex: Cruis'n USA, purposely downshifting my ass back to 1st gear), and then me trying to defend myself/beat their asses while getting first place on the Appalachia course with the frickin school bus >_< Hey I was poor back then, THAT 50 CENTS WAS GONNA LAST DAGNABBIT

Nowadays....frickin family always calling me to do [insert tedious task or equally dumbassed reason here]...or the CATS EITHER CRYING FOR MORE FOOD OR TAKING A S*** AND STINKIN UP THE PLACE. -_-

</rant>
「シューティング ラブ。」
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

Hi RAT, nice scores on all the galaxian sets and clones. tar
skyline
pinball machine cut off by the owner of a pizza place
This reminds me of a story from about 12 years ago...
Ok, me and two of my neighborhood friends were out around midnight in a deep blue , no bumper ,dark tinted windows , '78 'olds cutlas.
WE stopped at a pizza place. Parked in the back.
We were the only three there.(employee)
There was a pinball called High Speed by Williams.
It's a cops and robbers story in game form.
One of us starts playing . Had a great game too. At the height of it the pinball has flashing red and blue lights and sirens going off (multiball)
A police officer walks in and tells my friend to take his hands off the machine and hold them up. Frisks us. Questions us. It seems the employee called the law on us!
Was scared we were gonna rob himThe whole misunderstanding was cleared -up . We left . It was closing time anyway. Weird .
Pika163
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Pika163 »

Since we're talking about Bubble Bobble machines, I remember something that happened to me in a hotel. Let's just say that the best time to play an arcade game is not right when you get out of the pool.

EDIT: Hey, look, I've de-lurked myself! Hurray!
---J. Michael Bottorff
"The stupidest kinds of people are the ones who put self-quotes in their signature." --Me
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

Pika163 , either you slipped on wet floor, got electrical shock, or trunks fell off. (funny) just a guess

skyline
the CATS EITHER CRYING FOR MORE FOOD OR TAKING A S*** AND STINKIN UP THE PLACE. -_-
Yes sir, I can relate. 8 cats inside house. Live in the country (rural). Stray wild felines outside. Lots of kittens too. We administer shots , clean them up, get them tame and advertise them in local paper for $10 each. Usually sell all. I love animals . BUT if i had a gun or knew someone with a firearm, I swear I would shoot kill and throw a few Tom cats over the hill.
Pika163
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Pika163 »

tar wrote:Pika163 , either you slipped on wet floor, got electrical shock, or trunks fell off. (funny) just a guess
It would be the middle choice, yes. Although, if my swim trunks did fall off, it would be a moral dilemma. Should I keep playing or should I pull them back up? It would be a hard choice for me. :P
---J. Michael Bottorff
"The stupidest kinds of people are the ones who put self-quotes in their signature." --Me