AlphaMAME 0.66

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mahlemiut
Editor

AlphaMAME 0.66

Post by mahlemiut »

http://marp.retrogames.com/exe/alphamame-066-1.zip (Win32 console)
http://marp.retrogames.com/exe/alphamame32-066-1.zip (Win32 GUI)

No DOS version yet. Probably will need a DOS version of GCC 3.2.2 too.

Silly me forgot to update and add the docs too. :roll:
Read them here - http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/alphamame.txt
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: AlphaMAME 0.66

Post by Francois Daniel »

mahlemiut wrote:http://marp.retrogames.com/exe/alphamame-066-1.zip (Win32 console)
http://marp.retrogames.com/exe/alphamame32-066-1.zip (Win32 GUI)

No DOS version yet. Probably will need a DOS version of GCC 3.2.2 too.

Silly me forgot to update and add the docs too. :roll:
Read them here - http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/alphamame.txt
Thanks Barry :)

Francois
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Yep, thanks Barry. But, I can't seem to download the files. Is there a problem with MARP?

Kranser.
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

kranser wrote:Yep, thanks Barry. But, I can't seem to download the files. Is there a problem with MARP?

Kranser.
Try with right mouse button, then "save as".
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Thanks

Post by kranser »

Thanks diabolik! Downloading the files works fine today. But it definately didn't work yesterday - strange!.

Kranser.
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

A pentium pro optimized version of AlphaMAME would be great for us with slow PCs! Please consider this :)

I tried with official mame and it makes a big difference... My PC is a Celeron 450 Mhz and the game which has a very noticeable difference is Raiden.

Optimizations might be good to speed up the encrytion also, right?

I can help to benchmark if needed :wink:

Thanks!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

MJS wrote:A pentium pro optimized version of AlphaMAME would be great for us with slow PCs! Please consider this :)

I tried with official mame and it makes a big difference... My PC is a Celeron 450 Mhz and the game which has a very noticeable difference is Raiden.
Don't hold your breath hoping for one. Barry said he's not going to make one because there's enough versions as it is.

believe me, I'd love to see one too. especially seeing how I'm on a computer running at 450 mhz too. And now we can't even use older versions of MAME that might run certain games faster than the bloated pieces of shit that recent MAME's have become... all because of Alpha Blocking. The slow PC people get fucked over again. It's faaaaaantastic!
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I thought Barry said he was going to make an alphamame 0.36 though.

That would help a lot of those with slower PCs as many games ran a lot faster in 0.36...although 0.36 has issues with some games.

Perhaps a 0.58 would be cool.

As quickly as alphamame 0.65 and 0.66 were out after that mame was out Barry seems to have it structured where he can conveniently just integrate the encryption routine(s) into any mame.

Given MARP's new alphamame blocking policy I agree for those of you with slow PCs that often use older versions for performance reasons, this currently sucks for you.

In that other thread I was focusing on performance of mame66 vs alphamame66 when the real focus perhaps should have been on the performance of many games in 66 vs 58 vs 53 vs 36.

Many if those with slower PCs can benchmark a few games in each of those versions to see a comparison of that performance, that might be enough to persuade Barry to make a build of a couple older versions with the alphamame components added(?). It can't hurt...he can just say no...nothing lost versus where you are now.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Older versions probably aren't likely now that MAME is compiled with GCC 3.2, as it would appear that it won't work with MAME versions prior to 0.63.

I really don't have the disk space to store multiple versions of GCC, I have three already (DOS, Win32, Linux). It's enough with ten gazillion MAME versions. :)

Unless someone wants to buy me a nice large HD... :)
- Barry Rodewald
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

mahlemiut wrote:I really don't have the disk space to store multiple versions of GCC, I have three already (DOS, Win32, Linux). It's enough with ten gazillion MAME versions. :)

Unless someone wants to buy me a nice large HD... :)
Someone's never heard of CD burning.... :roll:

J/K
「シューティング ラブ。」
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Someone doesn't have a CD burner... :)
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ever try compiling from a cd??? barry's done already too much, give him a break... mame is slow! face it, get a faster computer if you want to play games that are slow in new mame. :)

then again alpha mame 36 would only have to be compiled once... until they ask for alphamame32 36 and pentium pro alphamame 36 and kay-pro alphamame 36 :)

btw, thanks again barry for a great product!
Last edited by Chad on Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:Someone doesn't have a CD burner... :)
man even my crappy computer has a CD burner! :D :D
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

Chad wrote:barry's done already too much, btw, thanks again barry for a great product! give him a break...
Take it dooowwwwwwwwnnnn a notch..

Hence the "J/K" 8O Yesh doing ANYTHING with data streamed from a CD is a pain in the ass. But it would store unneccesary data/mp3s/pr0n/etc.

And double yesh, thanx Barry for all things AlphaMAME. Even if it makes Taito F3 games seem even more Satanic.. :wink:
「シューティング ラブ。」
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Chad wrote:ever try compiling from a cd??? barry's done already too much, give him a break... mame is slow! face it, get a faster computer if you want to play games that are slow in new mame. :)
Ok ok I was expecting this answer! 8)

You are right... I need to upgrade my machine. It's very slow and besides I think it's going to blow up anytime! The CPU is a Celeron 300A (300mhz) running at 450mhz! :twisted:

Optmized or not, AlphaMAME rules!!!