Mahjong Quest and Quest of Jongmaster scoring

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

How should mjnquest, mjnquesb, and janshin be scored?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:57 am

100k per opponent, plus hand values x 100 (as it is currently)
No votes
Experience x 100, plus hand values x 100
25%
100k per opponent, plus experience x 100, plus hand values x 100
25%
Experience x 100 only
50%
Hand values x 100 only
No votes

Total votes: 4

mahlemiut
Editor

Mahjong Quest and Quest of Jongmaster scoring

Post by mahlemiut »

How should we score these mahjong games?
- Mahjong Quest [mjnquest, mjnquesb]
- Jyanshin Densetsu: Quest of Jongmaster [janshin]

Scoring options:
- hand value: score of each of your winning hands, shown on the first line of the info box after each hand.
- experience: pretty obvious really, shown on the 3rd or 4th line usually, of the box when you beat an opponent, will have "EXP" in it somewhere.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Counting only Exp*100 + Hand Values*100 isn't just. Because more battles with opponents = more risk to defeated myself. I for 100k per opponent + Exp*100 + HandVal*100.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I still don't think so, a set 100k for each opponent is not fair as each opponent varies in skill, and number of hands to defeat. Beating 3 tough opponents is far more impressive than beating 9 relatively weak ones. It's not like you can get 100k for each enemy in, for example, Toki. The only games that I know of that have give the same score for a boss as for any other enemy are the Konami beat-em-ups from the late 80's/early 90's (TMNT, Vendetta, X-Men...). And yes, I do thnk those are crummy scoring systems.
- Barry Rodewald
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

The only reason to change is to make it more simple and not too complicated : EXP only (why EXPx100 ?)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Exp only??????? What with Hand Value? It's essence of all Mahjongs. :(
What with number opponents defeated? If will be Exp only then each player will be skip opponents and fighting with "big" opponents only for "great experience points". :?
Maybe add to vote:
opponent*10k+exp*100+hv*10
or opponent*10k+exp*100+hv*100?

This is my last post in this topic. I adapt oneself to all.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

With most games you get far more points for beating boss characters. Why should it be any different here?

as for exp x 100, it's more to keep in line with the usual hand value x 100.
- Barry Rodewald
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

destructor wrote:Exp only??????? What with Hand Value? It's essence of all Mahjongs. :(
What with number opponents defeated? If will be Exp only then each player will be skip opponents and fighting with "big" opponents only for "great experience points". :?
Good hand values make more Money Points (MP) and you can buy better options to fight big opponents, which is harder without options

These mahjongs are different from others, so let's have a more adapted scoring for them (and more simple too ! each time I have to confirm a mjquest score, I get a headache in calculating points)
infacc00
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by infacc00 »

I haven't explored the game a lot but there are two facts:

1. To keep scoring consistent with other mahjongs hand value should be used. Besides multiplying by 100 is not very confusing to someone used to play mahjong, I think.

2. On the other hand it is easier to beat small enemies and you don't meet the same number in each game. Games where you find a lot of small enemies are better for scoring. Besides, as far as I know you can skip those small enemies.

Perhaps it's a good idea to use exp. Altough it also could be easy just to count hand value (just without x100) and perhaps adding the exp (hv+exp). Without any bonus for defeating an enemy.

Sorry for not posting before but I hadn't played this sets until now.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

These games are basically simple RPGs with mahjong hands for battling. The hand value simply determines how much damage you do to an opponent. It is quite feasible to beat the first boss in janshin in only two hands rather than the usual 3. Using the hand value in scoring is somewhat like rewarding an RPG player for doing more damage. At least, using experience for scoring only promotes progressing through the game.
- Barry Rodewald