how to get mspacpls playing in fast mode?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

how to get mspacpls playing in fast mode?

Post by LN2 »

I have had no problem playing the "fast" mode(speedup cheat dip switch "on") for mspacmat or mspacman or any of the other clones that support it.

However, for some reason it doesn't work with mspacpls. No matter what I try I am always slow. I intend on submitting a score for the normal speed of mspacpls as well but want to try it in fast mode too.

However, I also want to try the fast version of this.
Did any of you playing this have to do any "tricks" or anything differently to get mspacpls running in fast mode versus the other mspac romsets?
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Did you try the trick roncli wrote in his mspacpls-fast description?

"To use the speedup cheat when playing this game: 1) Enable cheats 2) Set the speedup cheat DIP switch 3) Hold down the 2 player start button to go fast."
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

ahhh, ok. I should have checked the current scores more closely. I didn't notice that at all.

Anyway holding the 2-player button works just fine....kind of a pain to hold that button down the entire game though. I'll at least rebind it to a more convenient key like left-control.

I think all the "fast" scores must be moving fast at all times...not allowed to use a button to use it whenever. That would make it way too easy.

I lose 90% of my men just from the speed aspect and not properly controlling the joystick versus actually attacking the board wrong.

I lose almost all of my men on the later boards where no more blue on those boards with the "wiggly" sections. I'm getting better at those though....can handle the other 3 board types just fine...rarely die on those. My best from mschamp and mspac attack is around 260k on each. I want to break 300k before I submit a score for those. I will soon be submitting scores for the those at regular speed also. I have beaten the posted scores for those but still am not satisfied with my performance enough where I want to submit. I haven't even made it to the junior boards in ms pac attack or ms pac plus yet. I guess part of that is where I setup and eat most monsters so lose a couple men from that process. I usually have 90+k after the banana board but only have 1 man left which I lose on the 3rd or 4th board before the junior intermission.
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

_ms_pac_man(clones)

Post by negative1 »

LN2 wrote: Anyway holding the 2-player button works just fine....kind of a pain to hold that button down the entire game though. I'll at least rebind it to a more convenient key like left-control.
yeah, do that...i forgot to change it for my high score game,
and i accidentally hit the F2 button and reset it!!!!!!
I think all the "fast" scores must be moving fast at all times...not allowed to use a button to use it whenever. That would make it way too easy.
i don't think that matters, its too easy on fast anyways,
so why would allowing you to change it make it any easier?
I lose 90% of my men just from the speed aspect and not properly controlling the joystick versus actually attacking the board wrong.

I lose almost all of my men on the later boards where no more blue on those boards with the "wiggly" sections. I'm getting better at those though....can handle the other 3 board types just fine...rarely die on those. My best from mschamp and mspac attack is around 260k on each. I want to break 300k before I submit a score for those. I will soon be submitting scores for the those at regular speed also. I have beaten the posted scores for those but still am not satisfied with my performance enough where I want to submit. I haven't even made it to the junior boards in ms pac attack or ms pac plus yet. I guess part of that is where I setup and eat most monsters so lose a couple men from that process. I usually have 90+k after the banana board but only have 1 man left which I lose on the 3rd or 4th board before the junior intermission.
1) for my high scores, i play greedy at the beginning,
and then after they stop blinking...just go for screen clearing

i'll post more under the general thread..

2) if you just want a high score, forget about going for points,
and just save your men for later screens, and go for the
endurance record..

ms. pac man is pretty boring, so its hard to concentrate
on the really long games, i usually just give up and die
at a convenient score..

like in the 600k scores..

later

| || | | || | || | ||
ne g at iv e 1
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: _ms_pac_man(clones)

Post by LN2 »

negative1 wrote:i don't think that matters, its too easy on fast anyways,
so why would allowing you to change it make it any easier?
I think it matters tons. I lost most of my men from blowing a turn from moving so fast. It limits some approaches you can do on certain boards because the turns are just too difficult at fast. If you were allowed to let go of the button and move slow, then you could let go for a second so you slowdown to go around a tough turn then repress the button to go fast again. For me that would make the game tons easier. You could also let go of the fast button to wiggle better or just change the timing for certain moves which would help you clear the boards even easier than if you stay fast all the time. Wiggling in fast mode is difficult on a keyboard.

I think any game score submitted using that strategy should be DQ'd cuz it isn't the same as playing it purely "fast". To me fast means 100% fast, not 99% fast with some occasional slowdowns here and there.
2) if you just want a high score, forget about going for points,
and just save your men for later screens, and go for the
endurance record..
I do both. I normally have around 200-220k when I reach the boards where they don't change anymore...and usually have only lost 1 man.
ms. pac man is pretty boring, so its hard to concentrate
on the really long games, i usually just give up and die
at a convenient score..

like in the 600k scores..
Are you referring to mspac-fast here or regular speed? If regular speed let's see it!

Why quit at 600k? You should go for trying to get to the kill-screen! I think if someone could hit 1 million even in fast mode it would be a good accomplishment as no one has hit 1 million in that game regardless of speed.

Your 600+k score for mschamp-sz is quite good. I hope you didn't decide to just kill off that game. I haven't even been able to get 300k with super zola yet. I'll likely break 300k on that soon, but I actually have gotten higher using mschamp-ce...which is weird cuz the sz boards are easier than the ce boards. hehe I have only played super zola a few times though which is part of it. I have played "ce" a lot.
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

_ms_pac_man(strategies)

Post by negative1 »

hi ln2,

i will repost your questions under
the 'general' area..

and reply there..

later

|| || || | | | ||
ne gative 1