A little though about Toki (and clones)

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

QRS
Editor

A little though about Toki (and clones)

Post by QRS »

I´m sure that some of you guys have noticed a little Toki-mania upload the last weeks :) Myself, RJM and Sampras has played it over and over.

I must say that I did enjoy the game much more before all this leeching though..

For you that are not familiar with Toki at all, the fact is this:

After finishing it a few times, and you remember the enemies etc, it will be a very easy game. That´s when the leeching came. You can leech by jumping on a (hardheaded?) enemy on stage 5, and you can die on certain places get some more points on a good place with your spare men etc. None of this affect the game very much.

The problem is the first boss-leeching. You gain most points by shooting the first boss´s small apes, dying and repeating this until your last man and then go on and finish the game. This takes a long time and it makes the game very boring. I have done it myself so I know what I´m talking about :)

Today I discovered that if you play on hard (default is medium) or even better the hardest difficulty you simply can´t leech on the first boss!
why? because the small apes takes about 2-3 shots to kill instead of 1!

In the end this will result in a lower score/finish but sure more of a challenge and more fun to watch...

Note:The bosses and enemies have more energy etc so you gain some more points by shooting them. In the end it guess the score will be lower anyway :)

So let me hear your opinions about this. I have first on all but one of the toki games, but I´m willing to delete my scores and start over playing on the hardest diff instead.

Regards

QRS
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

any option that prevents leeching and keeps the game fun is good one.
-skito
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I think having the rule of only playing on a harder setting would be unfair to people who are not so familiar with the game, or is it just too easy on the default settings? Why not just have a no leeching rule?
Darren
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

It is easy after a little and the only difference between all the scores above 300k is how much the players leached...
- Smraedis
zylquin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by zylquin »

I think there will always be a grey area as far as leeching in any game that has an end. Time to move on to the next game you want to master guys!
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Well right now Sampras has uploaded a score on one of the tokiclones that beat mine and he has not even finished the game... That tells a lot about the leeching right now :)
QRS
gameguru
Button Masher
Button Masher

leeching

Post by gameguru »

Hi

Why don't we have a rule where you can only leech on one life?

The marp rule is that games are played on default settings, we can't start having games set to hard etc, too confusing and unfair for novice players!

If I remember we had the same problem with Wardner?

gg
"Life Is Short, Play MAME!"
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Hi

Why don't we have a rule where you can only leech on one life?

The marp rule is that games are played on default settings, we can't start having games set to hard etc, too confusing and unfair for novice players!

If I remember we had the same problem with Wardner?

gg
Well all games are hard (even on default settings) if you play them once.. play the game 30 times Darren, and you will not complain about it beeing to hard :)
And consusing? If the game is set to harder settings we can always have a little note about that in the "Special rules" right? Not much confusing about that. IF you read that first of course :)

To put it on hard settings is the best way to prevent the leaching in my opinion, cause it is hard to set a rule agains the leaching. After all you can´t do it forever.

Anyway Sampras is still uploading his scores and seems to enjoy it.. I will not touch the game anymore until a rule is set up. The game is way to boring right now :=)

I want to hear what the editors have to say about this, or shall I put up a poll?
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

a poll sounds good to me. i don't see how someone new to the game would get bored of it if it's too hard (at least more bored than mastering leeching when the easy mode is used)... more difficulty provides challenges to overcome that sounds fun to me...
-skito