Newbie confusion...

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Sickboy
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Newbie confusion...

Post by Sickboy »

Be gentle with me, but I'm totally new to MAME action replays...

Can someone pleaseplease tell me in good ol' plain talk, how to get those .inp files actually playing back a game recording?

Why can't I just stick 'em in my 'inp' folder and open them from the game-list screen? Although the games open up, they mostly just crash without showing anything.

Duuuuuh. I'm stuck.

I'm using MAME32 0.58 on a WinXP PC.

Cheers.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

can you play games and not crash? and only when you play them back do they crash? If not i'd recommending making mame32 work with just playing games before trying to figure out why inps crash mame32.

if they are crashing on playback only, then do a test recording yourself a small one. record a game drop a credit and then ESC. play that inp recording back and see if it works, if it does it's proly a corrupted inp you are playing back that crashes mame.
-skito
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

You stupid boy, don't you know anything? :wink: j/k :)

Firstly, make sure that you're using the same version of MAME that was used to make the original recording although there is a good chance that with more recent versions this need not always be necessary.

Then unzip the inp into the inp directory. Sometimes however it is possible to play back recordings without unzipping. I think if the inp file is called <shortgamename>.inp and is zipped into <shortgamename>.zip then it works. MARP renames uploaded files so replaying from the zip file doesn't always work. Also renaming the extracted inp to <shortgamename>.inp can solve some problems.

Delete your nvram directory to avoid playback issues in this area.

Select the game from the main window then replay the inp via File->Playback Input... Choose the inp inside the save box and click Open, I found this to be more reliable than double clicking on the inp.

Regards, Gaz
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Newbie confusion...

Post by cosumel »

Sickboy wrote:Be gentle with me, but I'm totally new to MAME action replays...

Can someone pleaseplease tell me in good ol' plain talk, how to get those .inp files actually playing back a game recording?

Why can't I just stick 'em in my 'inp' folder and open them from the game-list screen? Although the games open up, they mostly just crash without showing anything.

Duuuuuh. I'm stuck.

I'm using MAME32 0.58 on a WinXP PC.

Cheers.
No troubles. Unzip the file attached. Run from DOS like this: Type p then the romname and hit enter
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz