Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Scramble records

Post by empardopo »

I don't understand...
john mcallister (@) has the first position using 6 lives while jonny3d (@) has the third position using only 3 ships.
I think It's an error in MARP. If I upload a record what option I must use?

Cheers.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Scramble records

Post by Cicca »

Unless there's a special rule on a specific game, settings to be used are always the default MAME settings....
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

Cicca wrote:Unless there's a special rule on a specific game, settings to be used are always the default MAME settings....
You can see here. I think those records should be invalided.
GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by GJTMarper »

FTR, the special rules on the parent rom only cover playback issues with Win 98 and XP machines right now. None of the clones have special rules either.

I would suggest a poll thread with options to put special rules to use either the 3+1 MAME default or 5+1 TG settings. (This ought to be applied to all Scramble clones as well.) If the 5+1 option is chosen, then the 3+1 scores would be zeroed out as no longer eligible. If the 3+1 option is chosen instead, then 5+1 scores would be reduced to the score they would've been if the player was playing under 3+1 (i.e. fourth life lost).

Any other suggestions?
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

I think the default options of the rom is 3+1.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

It is player's choice to use either MAME default 3+1 or TGTS 5+1.

INPs recorded using other settings can be zeroed immediately by an editor.

For more information, see MARP rule 2(j) by clicking on RULES on the top banner.
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

***PL*** wrote:It is player's choice to use either MAME default 3+1 or TGTS 5+1.

INPs recorded using other settings can be zeroed immediately by an editor.

For more information, see MARP rule 2(j) by clicking on RULES on the top banner.

I think there should be two lists of records instead of one. One for TG settings and other for default settings.

In the scramble records I think It's impossible to get the first position with default rom settings.Is much advantage to play with two more ships.

By the way, where I can see the TG settings of any game?

Cheers.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

empardopo wrote: where I can see the TG settings of any game?
http://www.cubeman.org/tgts.txt
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

Phil Lamat wrote:
empardopo wrote: where I can see the TG settings of any game?
http://www.cubeman.org/tgts.txt
Thanks Phil.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Some of the more experts out there could correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one of the very few cases in which TG setting are easier than MAME default settings....here come the problem with MARP scores....
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

MARP has historically allowed use of TG settings by MARP rule 2j.

There are not many games I know of where the historical TG settings were easier than MARP settings. Frogger is another example where TG allows 5+1 settings instead of 3+1 settings, and on Jungle Hunt TG settings allow setting the Timer Bonus to x2 instead of the default of no Timer Bonus.

I see a big potential problem with MARP rule 2j now though because TG recently started allowing members to create new tracks with any settings they want. Having MARP allow any recording on "TG settings" no longer means just the old historical TG settings on major arcade titles. Instead, someone could make a new track at TG with easier settings, then submit to MARP on those same settings and truthfully say they used "TG settings".

I think it would be best to grandfather in and allow existing MARP scores which were already done on old TG settings, and allow other new recordings on those same games to use those same settings. However, on any game where there are not already established scores using TG settings which are easier than MAME defaults, they should not be allowed for MARP submissions.

So for Scramble and Frogger, 5+1 settings would continue to be allowed. But for games which do not already have submissions like this, easier than default settings should not be allowed.
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

Zhorik wrote:MARP has historically allowed use of TG settings by MARP rule 2j.

There are not many games I know of where the historical TG settings were easier than MARP settings. Frogger is another example where TG allows 5+1 settings instead of 3+1 settings, and on Jungle Hunt TG settings allow setting the Timer Bonus to x2 instead of the default of no Timer Bonus.

I see a big potential problem with MARP rule 2j now though because TG recently started allowing members to create new tracks with any settings they want. Having MARP allow any recording on "TG settings" no longer means just the old historical TG settings on major arcade titles. Instead, someone could make a new track at TG with easier settings, then submit to MARP on those same settings and truthfully say they used "TG settings".

I think it would be best to grandfather in and allow existing MARP scores which were already done on old TG settings, and allow other new recordings on those same games to use those same settings. However, on any game where there are not already established scores using TG settings which are easier than MAME defaults, they should not be allowed for MARP submissions.

So for Scramble and Frogger, 5+1 settings would continue to be allowed. But for games which do not already have submissions like this, easier than default settings should not be allowed.
OK thanks.
From now on, I will use 5 lives in the game scramble.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Zhorik wrote:
There are not many games I know of where the historical TG settings were easier than MARP settings
You can add Pengo (5 lives instead of 3).
Concerning TG settings easier than default, I will probably (in January, for now I'm leaving on holidays) lauch a vote to see if we keep merging inputs, or if we split such games (default and TG).
First steps of the discussion there :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15809