Elevator Action leeching

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread »

giro-X wrote:Man, I didn't scroll the whole discussion of 72 posts. Too big, and I admit too lazy myself to read everything.
You like details, since you are so punctilious, so here I tell you how it was possible that I have arrived to make that post without noticing other vulgar comments
Ha ha ha! 'Punctilious'! Now, there's a word I haven't heard in a long time. Well used, good sir.

I don't blame you for not wanting to read all the garbage in this thread, but you may benefit from reading my responses more carefully, as you seem to have missed the sarcasm and humour. If you do make the effort, kindly don't talk about it here, as you'll give the game away. I want these suckers to continue thinking that I take myself 100% seriously, and have a god complex. Why? It amuses me to wind people up, occasionally.
giro-X wrote:Found some. Asshole said by BBH and xelnia, douche (is this vulgar?) from Barra
Yes, it is.
giro-X wrote:Talking seriously about stuff, the deep meaning that my intervention was meant to be, is that it is meaningless to take resentment
Rest assured, I feel no resentment whatsoever. I know that there will always and everywhere be unpleasant people such as I have encountered here. I don't blame the good people for their behaviour. If you don't like the way I deal with the people I don't like, that's your prerogative, but you ought also to respect my right to resopnd according to my personality. I hope that's the case, as you seem to be a sensible guy who wouldn't let a mere language barrier get in the way of principle
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

I watched the 166400 inp - fun to watch, excellent gameplay, no leeching in any form [*], 8th building cleared on one man. Legitimate top spot without doubt, IMHO. Well done! =D>

[*] I followed the original discussion, which was basically centered on whether the 1st building original point leeching was achievable by sufficiently skilled players - or not... since BBH claimed he could play for 20 minutes like that, I tend to be of the opinion that original gameplay should not be allowed.

I can recall a similar discussion on Make Trax / Crush Roller about how hard it was to keep luring the fish and squashing them without getting caught... here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10512

and there, as well, there appear to be different points of view about how many times one can keep staying on a level while piling up points.

About the pompous and condescending way of announcing the score - well, one can be a WR player without being a class act :lol: you know man, you play better than all others at one game, others play better than all others at other games. MARP scoreboard is full of evidence... No big deal.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I wasn't surprised by the lack of respect, it's how most people deal with failure. Kinda funny how he thinks nothing below his scores is a "solely" good game, when it took him almost a year to get passed those games. I was surprised to see a legit recording from someone who was focused on leeching. A very nice recording, 166k. It took a lot of luck to get passed the 8th building, two places at least where if something didn't happen (elevator blocking a bullet) he would have died, especially just before escaping.

Your job isn't over Dredd.
Almighty Dread wrote:Regards The furthest I've ever reached is the 10th building.
-skito
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Chad wrote:I wasn't surprised by the lack of respect, it's how most people deal with failure.
Yes, my lack of respect for the bleating of inferior gamers was clearly appropriate, not surprising at all. And my failure to revive gaming skills which lay dormant for three decades in anything less than three hours was shameful, utterly shameful. I have failed myself, my country, and all those I hold dear.
Chad wrote:Kinda funny how he thinks nothing below his scores is a "solely" good game, when it took him almost a year to get passed those games.
Yes, it's hilarious. What's even funnier is that I've been at this for even more than a whole year. I first played Elevator Action in the mid '80s. You remember the '80s, right? Those good ol' times, when even American music was great? Or were you too busy soiling your diapers? You see, contrary to what you might imagine, I am not a MAME baby. I grew up on arcade games, so what I do on MAME now is merely a reflection of what I already did, 30 or more years ago.
Chad wrote:It took a lot of luck to get passed the 8th building, two places at least where if something didn't happen (elevator blocking a bullet) he would have died, especially just before escaping.
Yes. Yes, of course, I was just lucky to get as far as I did. My progress had nothing at all to do with my ability to recognise the game's patterns, after years of experience. And, of course, I never suffer any bad luck. My losing men, earlier in the game, was down to the absence of my usual exclusively good luck. It is well known that I am the one gamer in all the world's history who is exempt from the normal balance of good and bad luck. So when I, in due course, plough your best score even further down under the dirt, this will rightfully be put down to my insanely good luck. That was a sharp bit of observation you made there, bubba, spotting my complete reliance on luck.
Chad wrote:Your job isn't over Dredd.
Yeh, well, you know what they say: "No rest for the wicked." Although I could probably rest on my laurels, I shall give you at least one or two more examples of how a true master plays this game.
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

Almighty Dread wrote: Yes, it's hilarious. What's even funnier is that I've been at this for even more than a whole year. I first played Elevator Action in the mid '80s. You remember the '80s, right? Those good ol' times, when even American music was great? Or were you too busy soiling your diapers? You see, contrary to what you might imagine, I am not a MAME baby. I grew up on arcade games, so what I do on MAME now is merely a reflection of what I already did, 30 or more years ago.
Dude - that goes for the vast majority of players over here.

I can't best my 7-hour, 4M on Track and Field marathon simply because my hands hurt too much - pretty normal when turning 47 in a few months.

And I doubt I'll ever get a chance to attack the Frogger 1M score - for which I upped my PB from 180K to 479K in 2 months when already over 40 years old. I got engaged, married, had baby #1 and #2 should be coming early next year. Lots of stuff going on - I was 11 when dumping every 100 lire coin I had into Galaxian, and learning my heavier swear word language.

You're in the same boat as most of us - so get off that high horse already, make good use of your gaming skills and put up a 200k on Elevator Action while you still have time to play.
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Alessandro.S wrote:Dude - that goes for the vast majority of players over here.
If that's true, I'm glad to hear it. Nevertheless, since some fool was implying that I only just learned to play Elevator Action, I had to set him straight.
Alessandro.S wrote:I can't best my 7-hour, 4M on Track and Field marathon simply because my hands hurt too much - pretty normal when turning 47 in a few months.
Nah, man, that's not normal. You should get that seen to.
Alessandro.S wrote:And I doubt I'll ever get a chance to attack the Frogger 1M score
Why? Any obstacles you face are psychological, not physical. Get in some mind over matter training, man, and you'll do whatever you want to do.
Alessandro.S wrote:You're in the same boat as most of us - so get off that high horse already
If you would just quit the preaching business, you'd have more energy to devote to your gaming, and you might even add a few years to your retro gaming career.
Alessandro.S wrote:make good use of your gaming skills
I am doing so.
Alessandro.S wrote:put up a 200k on Elevator Action
Not likely without a bit of point accumulation thrown in, even within a game which goes as far as building 10. And you know what kind of bitching I'd have to put up with, if I did that ...
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

Almighty Dread wrote:
Alessandro.S wrote:I can't best my 7-hour, 4M on Track and Field marathon simply because my hands hurt too much - pretty normal when turning 47 in a few months.
Nah, man, that's not normal. You should get that seen to.
Been there, done that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobi ... 8joints%29

I can bend three fingers to the back of the hand, both hands (all except ring-finger which is somehow stiffer).
Both hands can do what is depicted in the Wikipedia page.
I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue - effortlessly.

Pity you get all of the bad stuff listed there - I learned to walk avoiding ankle sprains at 21 when told that surgery would likely take away 30% of my mobility.
Tore ACLs and one meniscus each knee, one accident when 21 and the other when 42 years old.

And my hands hurt now, more than 30 years ago. Normal, for my case.
Almighty Dread wrote: Why? Any obstacles you face are psychological, not physical. Get in some mind over matter training, man, and you'll do whatever you want to do.
As per the above, your statement doesn't hold true.

On top of that, a successful Frogger 1M points game would take in the neighborhood of 5 uninterrupted hours, even at a fairly high scoring rate (which I know something about, holding the highest known score for a 1-hour Frogger game). I don't have such a luxury with one small boy, it is unlikely things will get better in the free time area with two children instead of one. It's fine by me, as I am actually doing whatever I want to do.
Almighty Dread wrote: If you would just quit the preaching business, you'd have more energy to devote to your gaming, and you might even add a few years to your retro gaming career.
Said the preacher, eh?
All this exchange took me 1/10th of the time I play a (good) mahjongg run at sichuan2. Look into how much I posted here (or elsewhere, you pick) in the last five years - and you'll see how (again) your statements don't hold true.
Alessandro.S wrote:put up a 200k on Elevator Action
Almighty Dread wrote: Not likely without a bit of point accumulation thrown in, even within a game which goes as far as building 10. And you know what kind of bitching I'd have to put up with, if I did that ...
Now, now. I actually did watch your 166k inp and took notes about your scoring progression. Had you finished building #9 at the rate of others you'd be looking at 190k starting #10. So, to paraphrase someone, just quit the preaching business and (since you have the skills) get to work instead :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm done here. Thanks,
--alessandro
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Alessandro.S wrote:Been there, done that.
You may have been there, but you haven't been everywhere, my good man. There are spiritual arts which you could practise, which would turn all your perceived weaknesses into strengths. But, I'm not here to tell you how to live your life, so do whatever you feel.
Alessandro.S wrote:On top of that, a successful Frogger 1M points game would take in the neighborhood of 5 uninterrupted hours, even at a fairly high scoring rate (which I know something about, holding the highest known score for a 1-hour Frogger game).
I have the highest scoring rate for Tron, made over 900,000 in an hour. We are brothers in gaming, man.
Alessandro.S wrote:It's fine by me, as I am actually doing whatever I want to do.
All power to you, then.
Alessandro.S wrote:BTW, I'm done here. Thanks
No problem. Take it easy, and good luck
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Time to put one last subject to rest . . .
***PL*** wrote:I've seen three world class players play EA live at tournaments. Current world record on arcade is 156500, just broken in January by Steve Wagner. Here is his scoring breakdown...

Here is the video recording of that game:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VQPp_40Qc

And here was my promise:-
Almighty Dread wrote:Once I regain a high enough level to get me into the 9th building, I will make mincemeat of that mediocre "world record" someone mentioned earlier.
Done. Twice
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Your game (175k) and Steve's game (156k) get to almost exactly the same area. Building 9; floor 8 vs. Building 9; floor 9, respectively.
Difference being, you point press the levels a bit more to when the music starts

Shows that the only true way to track this game is by building and floor numbers

Made it to building 10, yet?
Andrew Barrow
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Barra wrote:Your game (175k) and Steve's game (156k) get to almost exactly the same area. Building 9; floor 8 vs. Building 9; floor 9, respectively.
Difference being, you point press the levels a bit more to when the music starts
Your pathetic attempt to denigrate my latest achievement doesn't do anything more than reveal your utter incompetence at gameplay analysis. Wagner himself is humorously honest about his inability to get any further than he did. He shoots a few more men, and ducks into one more door, before gracefully accepting his doom. I, on the other hand, got further than he did with routine play. The only reason my man died, one floor later, is that the game pulled what is arguably its dirtiest trick, walking an Agent Smith under my man's drop kick. Wagner's style of play gets him far, that's for certain. But, since my technique involves more risk and yet takes the game further, it is clearly superior.
Barra wrote:Shows that the only true way to track this game is by building and floor numbers
If that were really the case, it would still be beyond dispute that I am the best at this game. But, since that is not really the case, that's just another bit of nonsense you've contributed.
Barra wrote:Made it to building 10, yet?
Yes, several times, decades ago. Dickhead
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Almighty Dread wrote: Your pathetic attempt to denigrate my latest achievement doesn't do anything more than reveal your utter incompetence at gameplay analysis. Wagner himself is humorously honest about his inability to get any further than he did. He shoots a few more men, and ducks into one more door, before gracefully accepting his doom. I, on the other hand, got further than he did with routine play. The only reason my man died, one floor later, is that the game pulled what is arguably its dirtiest trick, walking an Agent Smith under my man's drop kick. Wagner's style of play gets him far, that's for certain. But, since my technique involves more risk and yet takes the game further, it is clearly superior.
I was simply stating my observations. If you want to take that as unjust criticism, thats your choice.
If that were really the case, it would still be beyond dispute that I am the best at this game. But, since that is not really the case, that's just another bit of nonsense you've contributed.
Again, I was merely sharing my observation. I've never said nor implied anything negative about your skill.
Yes, several times, decades ago. Dickhead
I congratulate you on that.
But it was a simple question. Thanks for confirming my suspicions that you are in fact, the dickhead in this conversation.

Despite all that, I am looking forward to watching someone get to Building 10.
Andrew Barrow
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Long life to good games
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Thanks INNU! I'll have to check it out :)
Andrew Barrow
Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Almighty Dread »

Barra wrote:I am looking forward to watching someone get to Building 10.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!