Second MAME Olympiad - Rules

Discussion about the MAME Olympics

Moderator: gameboy9

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Second MAME Olympiad - Rules

Post by gameboy9 »

OK - here's the rules as I'm going to write them... we'll see how these go. :) We can still discuss these if you'd like.

PROJECTED TIMELINE:
- Register for tournament and selection of games - January 23 - February 7, 2359 GMT.
- Coordinator to assign teams and games... February 8-February 10, 2359 GMT
- Play period - February 14, 0000 GMT - March 31, 2359 GMT

REGISTRATION PROCESS:
- All players MUST register in order to participate in the tournament. Failure to register by December 28, 2359 GMT means you may not participate in this tournament.
- All players may choose up to four games for selection in the tournament.
- All players registering MUST declare what country they will play for. You must be a citizen of that country in order to declare what country you will play for.

SELECTION OF GAMES:
- Gameboy9 will select the games on the tournament. He'll probably hang around the IRC channel for discussion. Selection of games will be based on genre(first priority, as much diversity as possible), popularity, competitiveness, and date of release(all tied for second priority).
- Gameboy9 will also select the teams. TEAMS WILL BE BASED ON WHAT COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN. Priority will be based on keeping the teams organized as close as possible. If there are enough players in one country to form a team, the team will only have one country. However, should one person choose to play in a particular team, I'll do my best... but if you're 1/2 a world away...
- If a team cannot be formed because of a remainder of players, then those players will be unable to participate in the Olympiad. Priority is on a "first come, first served" basis.

OTHER IMPORTANT RULES:
- Between 12 and 16 games will be selected, based on the participation of the tournament.
- Team sizes will be between 3 and 6 players, again, based on the participation of the tournament.
- All players will be required to play between four and eight games.
- All ordinary MARP rules apply as far as your recordings are concerned... and you have to submit your score within 48 hours... blah blah blah.

SCORING:
- The scores for each team will be averaged to get a score for a game. Then they will be compared to the scores from other teams.
- First place earns the team 20 points.
- Second place earns the team 10 points.
- Third place earns the team 5 points.
- Fourth place earns the team 2 points.
- Fifth place earns the team 1 point.
- BONUS POINTS will be scored at the 1/2 way point of the tournament, February 4th, 2359 GMT. The bonus points will be 10 points for 1st, 5 points for 2nd, and 2 points for 3rd for each game scored.

PENALTIES:
- If a player does not submit a score for the minimum of four games, the team will suffer a twenty point penalty for each game under the limit.
- If a player submits a score exceeding eight games, and does not delete a recording to correct the problem, the team will suffer a twenty point penalty for each game over the limit.
Last edited by gameboy9 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Jan 8? Uh, I don't think T10 will be done by Feb 3 or something? T10 hasn't even started it, yet. You might want to reconsider to change the date until T10 is over. IMO, I don't think it is a good idea to have two tourney running in the same time.

NotMan
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Oh yeah... good point. Sorry about that... I'll advance it forward.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net