Golden Era Game of the Week 7/29/06: Domino Man

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Heh, I didn't play any one time in this round. I prepare to my birthday in this week (4 august, 5 august is party) and still drink vodka :) I must try to play today :D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

hehe, happy birthday! I wonder what your birthday present will be? more vodka? :)
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Clean sweep on the bonus points for Don Hayes.

Eligible for the random prize:

Don Hayes
Greg Erway
LeClaqueurFou@jvrm.net
Potante
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Happy birthday, Des. :)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I haven't even been able to beat my old high score. :( I'll keep trying until the deadline tonight.

Edit: Don, how consistent are you in getting to and going past level 14 without dying (can you always do it)?
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Don, how consistent are you in getting to and going past level 14 without dying (can you always do it)?
I can make it to level 14 without dying pretty regularly, but definitely not every game. I've played quite a bit this week and last (since it was announced as the on-deck game) and my average for getting to 14 on one man is maybe 15-20% (ie, 1 out of every 5 or 6 games). Some days are better than others of course, like last night I think I only made it to 14 once out of a dozen games, but this evening I got there at least 4 times out of only 8 or 9 games.

Getting by level 15 on the first man is a whole different story. I have done it a few times but it's quite rare. I think I only did it twice in the past couple of weeks. One was on the 999,999 game where I had taken the bonus on 14 where but actually managed to clear 15-20 as well without dying, and the other was late last week where I completed level 16 but lost my man on 17.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:

1st: Don Hayes (1,186,909)
2nd: SiKrAiKeN (1,003,502)
3rd: Sampras@AIVA (267,678)

Don takes first and 6 bonus for 16 total.

Eligible for the random prize:

Don Hayes (1-9)
Greg Erway (10-18)
LeClaqueurFou@jvrm.net (19-27)
Potante (28-36)
Sampras@AIVA (37-45)
SiKrAiKeN (46-54)

55 and 56 are unassigned.

Watch at 0300 hours GMT for the numbers drawn here:

http://www.txlottery.org/online/winmegamillion.cfm

which will determine the winner. The first ball drawn under 55 will be the winning number.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

And the winning number is 31.

Potante, I believe you are Chufoglu on this forum. PM me your mailing address please.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Eh, birthday, birthday, today party. Thanks for wishes.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Don Hayes brought to my attention about 24 hours prior to the end of the competition that it is possible to stay in one spot and continually place and unplace a domino, scoring 100 points for each placement. A recording scoring 134k doing nothing but this is attached.

Generally rules against "point scabbing" or "leeching" are applicable to games where there is not a time limit on the levels. On games where there is a time limit, point pressing is generally allowed within that time limit unless there are unlimited bonus lives and one can be earned in the time that is available within the limit. In any case, I didn't see any reason to disqualify any participants in GEGOTW.

Since this game is over for GEGOTW purposes, further discussion on this issue would best be moved to Regulation Play forum.
Attachments
d.zip
(18.05 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
John Cunningham (JTC)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

dbh wrote:
Don, how consistent are you in getting to and going past level 14 without dying (can you always do it)?
I can make it to level 14 without dying pretty regularly, but definitely not every game. I've played quite a bit this week and last (since it was announced as the on-deck game) and my average for getting to 14 on one man is maybe 15-20% (ie, 1 out of every 5 or 6 games). Some days are better than others of course, like last night I think I only made it to 14 once out of a dozen games, but this evening I got there at least 4 times out of only 8 or 9 games.

Getting by level 15 on the first man is a whole different story. I have done it a few times but it's quite rare. I think I only did it twice in the past couple of weeks. One was on the 999,999 game where I had taken the bonus on 14 where but actually managed to clear 15-20 as well without dying, and the other was late last week where I completed level 16 but lost my man on 17.
A lot more consistently than me, then. :D But yeah 15 is a pain, and I still don't understand how you manage to make it past level 21. That 999,999 game was crazy, it was too bad you didn't push after level 20 (it wasn't like you would have known, though :().
Weehawk wrote:Stuff about being able to pick up and put down dominoes
Yeah, I was messing around with that too, just for the heck of it. Attached is what I managed to get on default settings, with autofire though. I scored about 5k less per life without autofire than I would get with autofire. I'm not sure if I could score about the same if I used a different button technique or just didn't get tired.
Attachments
domino.png
domino.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 7915 times