Golden Era Game of the Week 6/24/06: Heart Attack

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

I am reminded of an item written about Billy Mitchell in wake of his perfect Pac-Man achievement:
Imagine a world in which Billy Mitchell never encountered Pac-Man. Put to good use his sharp mind, excellent hand-eye coordination, incredibly long attention span and his prodigious talent for problem-solving probably would have led the world into a utopian technological society by now. The human genome would have been mapped by the mid eighties. World poverty would have been eliminated entirely. The air and the earth would be clean. We'd be living in an age of unprecedented peace. Serbs and Kosovars would be frolicking hand in hand cracking jokes about their ethnic differences. Billy Mitchell would have a girlfriend. Instead, Billy Mitchell played Pac-Man and grew a moustache.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Next stages are repeat and from stage 93 four stages repeat only.
So, there's 3 full rounds of 32 boards that repeat, and then it changes to only repeating the last 4 boards over and over. That's an interesting repeat pattern.

A somewhat unrelated question: is anyone else having difficulty with the save state function in the recent versions of MAME? I've tried to save state on a few different games in WolfMAME 101 and they don't seem to work reliably any more. I had very few problems with older versions like 0.78, and even as late as 0.94 or so, but somewhere along the line it seems to have been broken.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Thursday's bonus points to destructor

Eligible for the random prize:

BBH
Dax
destructor@HotTeam.pl
Don Hayes
MarcoMarocco@AIVA
NotMan
pat33999
Phil Lamat
Welby
John Cunningham (JTC)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

dbh wrote: A somewhat unrelated question: is anyone else having difficulty with the save state function in the recent versions of MAME? I've tried to save state on a few different games in WolfMAME 101 and they don't seem to work reliably any more. I had very few problems with older versions like 0.78, and even as late as 0.94 or so, but somewhere along the line it seems to have been broken.
I've had this problem too, I go back to wolf78 or another old version and that works fine.
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I've had this problem too, I go back to wolf78 or another old version and that works fine.
Ok, so I'm not going crazy (well, at least not over this), but I feel better that I'm not the only one.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bashing on the MAME developers, but I wonder how they managed to break such a useful feature.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Yes! Level 32 is very difficult level to pass, but this is the best I could do until somebody can do it.

DES! I'm done playing this game for now. Bounty is yours if you beat my score, Bounty Hunter. :P

Welcome back, DBH. 8)

NotMan
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Man has the bar been put high again this week...... as I spent rest of the week playing Dig Dug II, I don't think 3 hours is going to be enough to get close to 50% of the 3rd place score.... and I don't really need another mouse pad so I'll leave the random draw to someone who hasn't already one a prize this season. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Hm.... 1 hour gone, stage 12 and 107,890...... definitely not enough time..... and those survive rounds certainly make it difficult.

Now, the speed the timer goes down on the survive rounds is certainly not seconds on Wolf 0.101.... however, if you play this game back on Mame 0.55 then the countdown timer does go in seconds on the survive rounds and the whole game is that much faster than Wolf 0.101...... I wonder which is the correct game speed?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:

1st: NotMan (492,860)
2nd: destructor@HotTeam.pl (490,690)
3rd: Don Hayes (448,410)

NotMan takes first and 4 bonus for a total of 14.

destructor takes second and 2 bonus for 9.

Great shootout between Notman and des there!

Eligible for the random prize:

BBH (1-6)
Dax (7-12)
destructor@HotTeam.pl (13-18)
Don Hayes (19-24)
MarcoMarocco@AIVA (25-30)
NotMan (31-36)
pat33999 (37-42)
Phil Lamat (43-48)
Welby (49-54)

55 and 56 are unassigned.

Watch at 0300 hours GMT for the numbers drawn here:

http://www.txlottery.org/online/winmegamillion.cfm

which will determine the winner. The first ball drawn which is not over 54 will be the winning number.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Weehawk wrote:Eligible for the random prize:

BBH (1-6)
Dax (7-12)
destructor@HotTeam.pl (13-18)
Don Hayes (19-24)
MarcoMarocco@AIVA (25-30)
NotMan (31-36)
pat33999 (37-42)
Phil Lamat (43-48)
Welby (49-54)

55 and 56 are unassigned.

Watch at 0300 hours GMT for the numbers drawn here:

http://www.txlottery.org/online/winmegamillion.cfm

which will determine the winner. The first ball drawn which is not over 54 will be the winning number.
The first ball is 48.

Phil Lamat is the lucky winner of the Dwayne Richards mousepad.

PM me your mailing address, Phil.
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Something wrong is with random generator :evil:

NotMan you are lucky :D Yesterday I have no time but I tried play about 4 times. My last game 1 hour before midnight -> 488k stage 32 and one 'empty dot'. I was placed one step before this 'empty dot' and something wrongwas with my hand and I go to different direction :D
Finally I found method for stage 32.