Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

destructor wrote:Gstrain:
I watched your inp and I saw that one plane appear at one time (only one plane). When I play, I often have 3 planes at one time.
How do you do it? Where is secret? 3 planes are harder to kill than one.
Yes, there is a way to play where in general you will not get the 3 plane squadrons.

Here is the secret:

Avoid getting 3 plane squadrons as much as possible since they are by far the most dangerous things in the game. To do this, don't kill everything else on the screen when they are about to appear (you can judge their possible appearance from the sound and the order in which things appear. They appear after the second group of ground targets in a cycle leaves the screen). I don't think you can get a squadron if you have a live blimp on the screen, so don't kill the blimp and in general you'll only get one plane. Also don't shoot all of the last set of ground targets, because sometimes you won't get a blimp, and instead you'll get the squadron immediately.

Of course, if several people can play for an hour, this technique may score lower than sometimes getting 3 plane squadrons.

Squadrons also make it very easy to die a few times in a row. When you die for any reason, everything leaves the screen, so it is possible that the first thing you get on your new man is another squadron (sometimes up to 4 in a row).

Some other tips:

1) Tap the fire constantly, don't hold it, unless you are strafing or shooting directly at something, and then fire only as long as you need to. Letting your guns overheat is very dangerous. At higher scores (e.g. >50K) your guns overheat more quickly.

2) Keep dodging almost all the time. Off screen stuff can shoot you. In general nothing is a very good shot and you can dodge almost everything except sometimes point blank shots from planes.

3) Don't let the planes get behind you. The FAQ says how you can dodge them if they get behind you, but in truth I think you have to get lucky too. Always go for the planes as early as possible and ignore everything else when they are onscreen. Once you get past 80K the planes charge you really fast and if you are moving the wrong direction (away from them), and you don't shoot them as soon as they appear, it is very difficult to shoot them in time.

4) To kill the blimps, it is easiest to aim a little to the side of them and slowly drift to the right/left while firing constantly.

5) You can shoot through the mountains, but they can shoot you through them as well.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Zhorik wrote:
I watched your inp and I saw that one plane appear at one time (only one plane). When I play, I often have 3 planes at one time.
Yes, there is a way to play where in general you will not get the 3 plane squadrons.

Here is the secret:
So, how good was the Cong Bongo inp?

:wink:
John Cunningham (JTC)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Weehawk wrote:
Zhorik wrote:

Here is the secret:
So, how good was the Cong Bongo inp?

:wink:
31.8 MB good, but not further bounty good. 8)
jbd41
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Golden Era Game of the Week 8/13/05: Red Baron

Post by jbd41 »

With David Palmer I actually was meaning a videotaped submission to TG, not a MARP one to this contest.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points to GREYTOP1 also.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Thursday's bonus points to destructor.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: destructor@HotTeam.pl 106,350
2nd: GREYTOP1 89,910
3rd: Bernard 85,200

destructor takes 1st and 2 bonus points for a total of 12
GREYTOP1 takes 2nd and 4 bonus for a total of 11

Welcome to new MARP members GREYTOP1 and Bernard, who is none other than well-known classic videogamer Dave Nelson.

And thanks again to George for sponsoring this week, and congratulations for scoring higher than any of the contestants once again!

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Thanks for letting me sponsor another week Weehawk, and thanks to the participants (especially the MARP newcomers). Congratulations for another win Destructor.

Nice play by "Bernard" who was the only player in the end who didn't follow my lead on the pansy girly-man (but higher scoring) no-squadron technique. When I saw David's score from Funspot, and the gap he had on second, I figured he was the only one who knew how to avoid squadrons, but instead he was just the best at killing them.

-gastrainga

PS - Destructor, should I send your money through Weehawk?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Zhorik wrote:PS - Destructor, should I send your money through Weehawk?
Yes, money to Weehawk please.

Hm, moves in Bernard's inp looks very smoothly.
Bernard, what controller you use? Is it analog controller?