Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Yep

Post by The TJT »

Yeah. Well, many think that this kind of trapping is part of the game.
It's not 100% easy to sucess at it anyway, and requires some skill.
Some could say that this kind of tactics is exactly why it's cool to watch recordings of marp. Some might disagree.
Wouldn't it be a bit too late to start changing qix tactics at this point of time and space.
lippsman wrote: I don't think you should be able to play the 1st or 2nd level of Time Pilot forever but you can in the Deca 2005 but you can't in other games.
That's at deca not at marp. Couple other settings at deca are not so good either. Zektor has a bit harder settings than here without any obvious reason. at CK you can't use 25m shortcut trick, that's why my 400k score got deleted (yet bjw's TG/Marp 1st uses it). They did change scrambls settings though, so that marp 1st/TG first could get beaten, uh.
That's what you get when not discussing rules before tournament start.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sunday's bonus points to Don Hayes.

Discussion regarding Deca settings should move to the appropriate forum at TG.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Yep

Post by destructor »

lippsman wrote:You keep a danger in the game from happening. Yes that is not in the spirit of things. You are keeping about 66% of the enemies trapped from killing you.
1. It's not easy always.
2. Time limit is 1 hour for GEGOTW then hurry up :wink:

Similiar situation is in Bouldr Dash where you trap enemies almost identical and it's part of game.
If it will be banned and you use trap by mistake when you score is over 1mln after few hours of playing, and what then? You must play again because you made stupid mistake?
You can't leech or something when you trap enemies then where is problem?
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Problem

Post by lippsman »

I guess the problem is with people's opinions. Well not a problem. It's just people have different views. And that's what it boils down to.

Not a big deal. Just what one person thinks.

And to Don. Nothing against you. Although, I'm still waiting on that updated Dig Dug score?

Thanks

Louie
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Qix is hard enough even using the spark trap. I'd really like to know how people were able to score over 1 million on this thing (TG lists 4 scores over 1M)!
And to Don. Nothing against you.
No problem...like you said, it's just a matter of having different opinions.
Or take away two of the ghost in Pac-Man.
Kinda funny you would mention this as an example...this is essentially what happens when you "group" the monsters. The three main monsters behave as one unit, with only Pokey wandering around differently.
Although, I'm still waiting on that updated Dig Dug score?
I haven't forgotten :) I've been busy on some other things recently (both game and non-game related).
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Don

Post by lippsman »

Glad to hear you haven't forgot about that Dig Dug replay. Looking forward to that.

A comment about what you said about the ghost in Pac-Man. Yes when they group they are acting as one ghost. But they have the ability of seperating. When you trap the sparqs, they don't have the ability of coming after you.

But a note about that. Sometimes I noticed that one will "escape". Not sure why.

And the MAME version of Qix is way harder than the arcade. I guess it's one of those emulation things.

Thanks

Louie
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

But a note about that. Sometimes I noticed that one will "escape". Not sure why.
Yes, this is very annoying. I know I've had more than one escape on several occasions. I think I've had up to 5 sparks running around even with the trap all set up. It would be nice to know why they sometimes escape.
And the MAME version of Qix is way harder than the arcade. I guess it's one of those emulation things.
I haven't played the one at Funspot recently, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in difficulty between the two. Certainly nothing like the problem that Robotron had before they fixed it.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

dbh wrote:
Yes, this is very annoying. I know I've had more than one escape on several occasions. I think I've had up to 5 sparks running around even with the trap all set up. It would be nice to know why they sometimes escape..
I think I know but don't say (especially for zlk :D)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points as well to Don.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Don

Post by LN2 »

lippsman wrote:A comment about what you said about the ghost in Pac-Man. Yes when they group they are acting as one ghost. But they have the ability of seperating. When you trap the sparqs, they don't have the ability of coming after you.
Well, I look at it as a control thing. You do that setup in Qix to control where the sparx can go. You do moves in pacman to maintain total control of the monsters once you have them grouped.

The difference in pacman I guess is on the early boards you eat the monsters so have to regroup and regain control after each eat.

FYI, don't try and eat the sparx. :P
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

Ahhhh... damn! I tottally lost the will to play this game... :cry:
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Never

Post by lippsman »

Never give up......There is always a way...... :)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Clean sweep for Don on the bonus points.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

Grrrrr... I QUIT this game! I've had enough :(
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Heh, I totally wrong play this game. Donald quietly without nerve. Very good.