Golden Era Game of the Week 4/30/05: Moon Patrol

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sampras remains in the lead and takes Tuesday's bonus points.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Can I play with TG settings in this week? I can count lives.
It's a bit confused to play in week on other settings than for further bounty. Difficulty is identical, only lives are count diiferent.
Number of lives is identical:
- default MAME - 3 on start + 3 extra = 6
- TG - 5 on start + 1 extra = 6
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

The last WORD is not mine, but I agree with you.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

John: Have a look at my 420k upload. The game resets at approx 420k.. I still had 4 men in reserve and playing on my second man. No idea what caused it. gstrain at #marp suggested that it could have been the fact that I got over 300k on one man. First time I have ever done that. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than glad. Right now I feel really pissed about this, so I will probably not play it again until I know for sure it would not happen again.
QRS
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

420K with a game crash and 588K with unfortunate deaths. What will be broken first, Eric Ginner's record or QRS's gamepad? :wink:
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

QRS wrote:John: Have a look at my 420k upload. The game resets at approx 420k.. I still had 4 men in reserve and playing on my second man. No idea what caused it. gstrain at #marp suggested that it could have been the fact that I got over 300k on one man. First time I have ever done that. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than glad. Right now I feel really pissed about this, so I will probably not play it again until I know for sure it would not happen again.
Some quick testing with the invulnerability cheat seems to indicate that going more than 3 3/5 or 3 4/5 courses on a single vehicle causes the game to malfunction.

Could be a MAME issue, more likely I think a bug in the original program.
John Cunningham (JTC)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

The_Pro wrote:420K with a game crash and 588K with unfortunate deaths. What will be broken first, Eric Ginner's record or QRS's gamepad? :wink:
My pad survived the 420k gamecrash hehe. I did not punish it for the 588k though hehe. Also.. I blame myself this time cause I missed one car on purpose (on the mines) cause I was rather close to 300k on one man again..(525k) but then I choked and missed two men at 541k.. NOT on purpose.. that made me so damn nervous.. and then I had do pass point "D" which can be hell sometimes.. and of course I had to die my last man there.. only 1 min of gameplay from beating my previous 597k :(

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can beat my score, but I don't know if I have the time for it now.. And for the 700k+ wr.. it will be hard.. cause If I get into the "zone" and gets too far on one man.. I have to crash on purpose.. and that does not prevent me from mess up and crash a few more after that. A possible 1.8 mil something even with this bug.. but I don't think anyone ever will get that score.. unless they figure out how to pass the champ stage 100% every time.
QRS
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Note well:

The clone ROMset "mpatrolw" appears not to be affected by this glitch.

Entries using this ROMset will be allowed, and Twin Galaxies should be petitioned to use this as the canonical ROMset for MAME entries on this title for this reason, and as this is the Williams' version it is probably the one that most U.S. players would have been playing in the arcades anyway.
John Cunningham (JTC)
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

I agree

Post by lippsman »

You are right on target Weehawk. But that could take awhile.

Louie
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Hey wait a minute

Post by lippsman »

Did the crash bug have any bearing on this score. How was this score shot. Mark Longridge was the ref. Maybe he has some info.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx? ... 40&vi=5215

Louie
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

QRS takes over the lead and Thursday's bonus points.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
lippsman wrote:Did the crash bug have any bearing on this score. How was this score shot. Mark Longridge was the ref. Maybe he has some info.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx? ... 40&vi=5215
Ever notice how you never see QRS and Anders Svensson together?

Sorta like Superman and Clark Kent.
John Cunningham (JTC)
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by lippsman »

Now that you mention it. I think I did see the Moon Patrol logo barely showing through QRS' shirt the other day. Yes, I often go to Sweden. The beach becomes so tiring here. :lol:

Louie
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Hehe.
--------

John, look at uploads, up section.

Des deleting good first places...Xybots, Pacmania etc classics, only classics? This guy thinks that rules are for finding holes, shame.

Des, I have plenty of 1sts at true classics, but still it seems very rare that my games are picked. If they were chosen for gegotw, I could beat myself in a week at most of them, apart from few. Should I delete trackfld recording because it might be chosen for gegotw...No way!

John,
You need a new rule for GEGOTW: If you have submitted a score at a game, and deleted it...you still have to beat the deleted score to get gegotw price.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

The TJT wrote:Hehe.
--------

John, look at uploads, up section.

Des deleting good first places...Xybots, Pacmania etc classics, only classics? This guy thinks that rules are for finding holes, shame.

Des, I have plenty of 1sts at true classics, but still it seems very rare that my games are picked. If they were chosen for gegotw, I could beat myself in a week at most of them, apart from few. Should I delete trackfld recording because it might be chosen for gegotw...No way!

John,
You need a new rule for GEGOTW: If you have submitted a score at a game, and deleted it...you still have to beat the deleted score to get gegotw price.
If that's true.. its so low... come one des.. you are a world class player.. do you really need to find any loophole there is?
QRS
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Yep

Post by lippsman »

Click on the Up section. Delete-fest...... [-X

Louie