Golden Era Game of the Week 3/5/05: Centipede (3-minute)

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Golden Era Game of the Week 3/5/05: Centipede (3-minute)

Post by Weehawk »

Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Centipede (1 player - timed)

romname: centtime

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $100 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: March 11, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

Centipede. This has to be my favorite videogame of all time. Nothing else ever matched the speed, the rhythm, the sense of controlled utter destruction of high-level Centipede play. Those that don't understand, well, just won't understand.

Although it may not have been done in MAME, the game is marathonable by people sufficiently talented. (I never got there.) There are, unfortunately, no tournament settings widely recognized, as per TG, nor are limiting the number of lives possible via settings on the machine. we do, however, have a ROMset which allows a time limit to be set.

I think this originated when in 1981, Atari sponsored a national competition to find the best player on the game. The firm hired by Atari to run the contest actually didn't do a very good job, but the contest was won by Eric Ginner. The machines for the contest were set to three-minute play. I assume this is where the centtime ROMset comes from. The tournament was head-to-head single elimination. I have read that his score in the final was 52,000, and that his best for the tournament was 55,000.

Let's see what we can do. Set the DIPswitch to 3 minutes as per MARP rules for the ROMset.

The best guide to the game was "The Video Master's Guide to Centipede" by Ron Dubren. Dubren had this to say about the 3 minute game:
Ron Dubren wrote:By introducing a time limit to CENTIPEDE, the entire complexion of the game changes. Unlike the long game, where the object is to stay alive as long as possible and accumulate the most number of points, in the short game there is a theoretical limit to the number of possible points you can score. There are just so many Spiders, Fleas, and Scorpions that can turn up as potential targets, just so many Mushrooms you can wipe off the screen, just so many attack waves you can clear. We know for example that a Spider appears about 4 seconds after the last one has been shot. Dividing four into 180 seconds, (e.g. 3 minutes) gives us 45, the theoretical maximum number of Spider kills that are possible in the short game.If every one of these Spiders were nailed the instant it appeared (for 900 points each), you could theoretically score 40,500 points from Spiders alone. Similar calculations of "perfect" scores for the other targets are not as easy to determine, but in practice, top scores in the 3-minute game are usually in the 50,000 to 60,000 range.

As far as I know, nobody has ever been able to get through the entire attack-wave cycle in 3 minutes. This may not be possible. Remember, the first attack-wave cycle includes those extra slow waves up to 40,000 points.
Dubren's last remark might suggest a further bounty, but watching Don Hayes' (previously) first place recording, I see he was on the next-to-last wave when time ended. I'm guessing someone concentrating on that instead of scoring points could do it.

Speaking of Don, he is one of the reasons I hadn't used a Centipede/Millipede version yet for GEGOTW. He'd be tough for anyone to beat. Perhaps with only a week he will have trouble beating his own previous score. I was able to do my 53,000 in one week, but it was a week of pretty serious effort.

The emulation of the sound chip for these early Atari games was changed recently to facilitate recording and playing back with sound. It should be all straight in .93, but I haven't tested it yet. The "fix" was removed in .92, so I will avoid it. As of .91 there were still some issues with random number generation, but this doesn't significantly alter gameplay, or affect competition on the game so we will use WolfMAME .91 for this week's competition.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Two things:

1) I was confused about the sound issue in .92. You may and are encouraged to use WolfMAME .92.

2) Be sure to read the Announcement post at the top of this forum titled "IMPORTANT: Changes for 2005" regarding bonus points.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Huh, great score John :!:

What controller you use and what analog controls settings? I can't use mouse for fast moving :?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:What controller you use and what analog controls settings? I can't use mouse for fast moving :?
I have always used a mouse for these games in MAME. Tried various kinds, but haven't like any better than my normal Logitech optical cheapo.

Tried a trakball controller but didn't like it.

Also, I have always used the left-click button to fire, but using a separate keyboard key for the fire button might have some advantages and would be more like the real machine. I think this is how Don Hayes said he plays in MAME.

I used 70% sensitivity this week, but felt I might have been better off if it was a little higher. I just didn't want to switch once I was accustomed to it.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

I've been asked if it is permitted to use harder than default difficulty for this game.

It might actually be to a player's advantage in this case as it speeds up and lowers the spider's movements at an earlier point.

MARP rules regarding settings read:

h) Recording submissions must be recorded with that particular ROMset's defaults or TG (Twin Galaxies) settings. A recording set at easier or different settings is subject to deletion, especially if it is higher than others at more difficult settings. Recording on TG settings, which are the official arcade game settings, is preferred, and will gain your scores further notice from your fellow players.

For GEGOTW purposes however, we will use MAME default settings unless otherwise indicated.

This is what I would prefer be the rule at MARP also, but it is not my website. :(
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Well, it didn't take dbh long time to claim 1st :)
I played the game once so far, 24k...is that good? :lol:

I was thinking maybe it would be fun to try this game with a spinner 8O
Guess it wouldn't work well for the spideys.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Congrats Don! You are the winner in this week.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Well, Don certainly gets the first bonus points.

Hear it from the announcer-bunny's lips:

http://www.gegotw.net
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

:D
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

What the hell was that? Cool but... kinda weird
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

And Donald stays in the lead for Tuesday's bonus points.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Donald still in the lead, gets Thursday's bonus points.

John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Don Hayes
2nd: BBH
3rd: diabolik

Well, Don wound up not having too much trouble bettering his own previous score, and no one else comes close.

He takes first and all six bonus points, for a total of 16.

Wonder if Ian knows we've started?
John Cunningham (JTC)