The Game: Bullfight

romname: bullfgt

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: December 3, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

Never played this one before MAME.

Thought it would be something different. Can't say I ever really got the hang of it.

Use WolfMAME .88 or .89

Use -frameskip 0 if possible, otherwise use a fixed frameskip and note the value in your upload description. DO NOT USE AUTOFRAMESKIP
John Cunningham (JTC)
Kasht
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Kasht »

Hi,

I submitted my score for the toobin scores. This is wrong. Please delete.

I was able to submit the score again to the bullfgt scoreboard.

Please correct the toobin submission. I was reading about that bounty and that name stayed on my head.

Regards,

David
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Kasht
2nd: Greg Erway
3rd: Ian Sutton

Very impressive fights by Greg and newcomer Kasht. Fun to watch.

And with his third place, Ian clinches the top spot in the totals.

Don Hayes and SJK will be 2nd and 3rd. Unless SJK takes first place the last two weeks without Don getting any points, Don will be 2nd overall.

Congratulations to Ian, and a few questions. (I warned him privately I was going to do this. :) ) Considering the world class performances you've put in on some of these games, it's sort of surprising how little known your presence was before GEGOTW. I'm a little curious and I'm sure some of the other members are as well. Most of us have gained some knowledge of each other over time, though some members do guard their privacy seriously, so you are welcome to share as much or as little as you like. Please don't feel obliged. But:

How old are you? Where are you from? What has been your previous experience or interests in video games. What type of gaming outside of MAME do you currently engage in? To what do you attribute your phenomenal performance?

And of course, anything else you'd like to share.

You mentioned that you're aware of #marp. Feel free to drop in sometime! (Same goes for all members, or anyone having questions about MARP or WolfMAME etc...)
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Weehawk wrote: it's sort of surprising how little known your presence was before GEGOTW.
Well, at least 1 person was remembering Ian Sutton : me!
We had an incredible fight a long time ago for the final victory in T3 (I finally won with ... 1 point more!) :

viewtopic.php?t=3928&highlight=tournament+3

From far my better "souvenir" in all Marp tournaments (last day of the tourney I had played more than 14 hours to improve in 4 of the 10 games - mainly Marble)
awesome
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by awesome »

Bullfight was a pretty cool game. Very frustrating at first. At first I thought bull fighting might be a little barbaric. Now this game has taught me that they are so damn annoying they deserve to die! :lol: I had never played or seen this game before Tuesday (the link from the GEGOTW main page to the game of the week forum was still setup to Gravitar) and I had assumed with Thanksgiving and all GEGOTW might just be skipping a week. Then I noticed the topic thread in the forums and started to play.

Seems as though you want to use the cape to revolve the bull around you on the first two bulls. Getting the bull to full speed and running him into the wall gives a quick 800 points. This can become a bit of a point leeching area and needs to be watched closely but a very gray area. The third bull seems like the cape is almost useless and you just want to dodge the bull and stab with your sword as he passes. Sometimes it makes sense to trick the bull into the wall and just try to stab him while he's down. I have run some of these bulls so much that they drop from exhaustion (didn't even run into a wall) and while they are down you can stab them a few times for extra points (they will die on their own eventually). The levels with the green bull seem to be setup to use the cape again but you have to concentrate on dodging both bulls until the green one leaves and you can resume with the normal bull. After round 4 and 8 you get the bonus stage where you just have to dodge the bull long enough for time to run out. As time progresses, other matadors come out and they are progress in value 400, 400, 400, 800, 800, 800, 1600, 1600, 1600, 3200, 3200,3200 and finally if you finish you get a 10k bonus plus all those points.

Honestly, as I played at first, I thought there was far too much randomness. Even at my current level of play, I have games where I die the first time with 0 points. Very frustrating. But there are tactics and manuvers you can learn to start to control this game.

Cool selection. Thanks for introducing me to it John!
Kasht
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Kasht »

Bullfight was a very fun game. It took time to figure out everything in the game.

Most of the info awesome posted is indeed true. Leeching to some extent is permissible... I mean, Im from Puerto Rico and I have family in Spain. Ive seen bullfights before and, the point of the bullfight show is to 'play' with the bull as much as possible and then, when the bull gets tired and can go any longer, you stab him.

When the bull runs into the wall, you get points depending on how much of a circular motion you completed with the bull. For example, if you make the bull follow your cape for 1/4 of a circle, you get 100 points, 1/2 circle will give you 200 points, 3/4 of a circle gives you 400 points and doing the full 360 degrees and making the bull hit the wall will give you 800 points. This took a while to figure it out.

There are green bulls in stages 4, 5 and 7. Stabbing the bull while the green bull is around will give you 9900 points.

You get an extra live when your score gets past 30000 points (30K).

Stabbing the bull anywhere but in the yellow/green area will give you 300 points.

The ramdom thing I found out is when stabbing the bull and killing him. Sometimes you get 3200 points, other times 6400 points. Im pretty sure has to do whether you stab him when the hit area is green or yellow, but im not sure. The bull can sometimes recover from that, but i found this random as well.

It was a great selection for a game, and I'm very happy I did well on my first submission to the GEGOTW.

Thanks.

David 'Kasht' Vicens
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

Great job this week by Greg and Kasht. Bullfight drove me a little bonkers.
Weehawk wrote:Results:
Congratulations to Ian, and a few questions. (I warned him privately I was going to do this. :) ) Considering the world class performances you've put in on some of these games, it's sort of surprising how little known your presence was before GEGOTW. I'm a little curious and I'm sure some of the other members are as well. Most of us have gained some knowledge of each other over time, though some members do guard their privacy seriously, so you are welcome to share as much or as little as you like. Please don't feel obliged. But:

How old are you? Where are you from? What has been your previous experience or interests in video games. What type of gaming outside of MAME do you currently engage in? To what do you attribute your phenomenal performance?

Cheers once more John. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this, not to mention a serious chunk of change.

Since you asked :) I'm 30 years old. I was born in England but moved to Canada when I was about 15. Now I live in Toronto and I'm a programmer.

As for games experience, I could go on and on about that! I have some hazy recollections of playing pong, but my first clear memories of games were on the family's Atari 2600 (Yar's Revenge, Jungle Hunt, Pacman, and Night Driver stick out in my mind) in a 3 year stint living in Rochester, NY. I guess this was the "Golden Era" but unfortunately I had no money for arcade games, having to settle for occasional games of Ms. Pac-Man and Defender at the local Wegman's supermarket when my Mum was in a good mood. Other than that the only times I played arcade games were at birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese's or the times we went to this other arcade wonderland called Gadget's. I remember all the famous games, but never was remotely good at any of them.

After that we moved back to England, then came my favourite game of all time - "Elite" on the BBC Micro. After that I got a C64 (Mercenary, Hypersports, Bard's Tale, and Wizball), then an Atari ST (Dungeon Master - awesome!, Carrier Command, Falcon). After that we moved to Canada. I got a job, and bought an Amiga (Defender of the Crown, Damocles). I also started playing more arcade games then. The scene was mostly dominated by fighting games like Streetfighter (SF2 Championship was my fave, they kinda lost me after that) and Mortal Kombat.

Then came PC's and Doom. Another of my favorites. This game just totally blew my mind despite chugging on my 486-SUX 33 with a paltry 4 meg. After that, Quake.

I remember now I've left out a lot of systems like NES, SNES but you get the picture.

I don't play games nearly as much as I used to. This past few months has been an exception because I just love competitions. The incentives didn't hurt either.

The number one reason I believe I won is that on average I played more than other people. Not too exciting but there it is. :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Ian Sutton wrote:Then came PC's and Doom.
Doom forever :wink:
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Duke Nukem Forever :D