See introduction here

The Game: Birdie King

romname: bking

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: October 29, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

Time for a round of golf. This was the best one I could find that I consider Golden Era.

Control can be a little inconsistent and frustrating. When you need power for distance sometimes it just won't be there. When you need a short shot to the green the ball might take off like Superman hit it. Oh well...same for everybody.

You get three holes for your "quarter". For each hole you get par or better you get an additional hole. Maximum is 9.

Score = (number of holes)*10 - (score above par)

So if you play all 9 holes and wind up one over par your score is 89. All 9 holes one under par would be 91.

In case of tie, the prize goes to the one submitted first.

Use WolfMAME .87u1
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Golden Era Game of the Week 10/23/04: Birdie King

Post by LN2 »

Weehawk wrote:Control can be a little inconsistent and frustrating. When you need power for distance sometimes it just won't be there. When you need a short shot to the green the ball might take off like Superman hit it. Oh well...same for everybody.
Exactly... QT and I had this same issue.

The lack of distance often is moving your mouse or spinning your trackball too quickly so the dreaded analog input overflow issue bites you in the ass...and your ball flies off the opposite direction of your movement.

I essentially tuned my sensitivity until I had 2 types of shots...the full swing....and the partial swing....same 2 swings for putting..one for long putts...one for shorter ones....often hoping the ball nails the cup...hehe

Man, this is where I wish I had a PC or had my wolfmame for macos already done. I know with a night or 2 of practice I likely could beat my 91.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

In case of tie, the prize goes to the one submitted first.
Maybe that will prevent last hour submissions...sure :roll:
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

It would surprise me if anyone delayed submission in this case...cuz to watch another's replay playing this game does little to absolutely nothing to help you get "higher" scores.

...unlike most games.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

LN2 wrote: Man, this is where I wish I had a PC or had my wolfmame for macos already done. I know with a night or 2 of practice I likely could beat my 91.
If you had bought a ghetto-PC this year, you propably had covered the costs by GEGOTW bounties already. Those games don't require state of the art circuitry. Also u could take part in other competitions for fun. Don't say anything, just think about it :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

If I went and got a ghetto PC, it would have to be a portable. Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind....just get a 700-1000MHz type system. Heck, nowadays even a 1.5 Ghz system would be pretty cheap.

I don't have room here for a second desktop system. if I do get a new mac in a few months, I am pondering what to do with my current mac. I figure I can setup the tower on the floor in the corner and use it as a storage/web server or something similar....if I even bother to do that....as it is slow and limited in HD space etc. The new mac would be superior.

I can't see playing MAME on a portable PC....although it is certainly possible....could always have an external keyboard to plugin to use for MAME...versus trying to play on those tiny, cramped keys.

I also figure if I do that then I would quickly just always use the pc-mame/wolfmame...and forget about the Mac platform for MAME.

Given I would still use a Mac for everything else, it only makes sense to use it for MAME also.

That's a good point about the bounties though...between JTC's and Robert's bounties, I likely would have earned back what it costs to get a ghetto PC....although I would have needed the few hundred to start with...which for the most part I have NOT had the past year.

Actually, I likely would have only gone for a couple bounties...on games I have played back in the 80s and like. JTC has picked several I like though. I think Donald Hayes and I would have gone toe to toe on a couple of those....one at least of which he won.

I am just now catching up on all of the costs of moving, paying all those initial utility deposits and other similar costs associated with settling into a new place. I have only been here 2 months.

It's right around Christmas when I can actually get a tad "ahead" from having the extra pay period in January with no expenses to just suck it away. hehe

Plus...with job status changes which are coming(hopefully in the next week or so), I think/hope I will be making another $50-100+ each week soon. Then I think I can get the new mac once past Christmas.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Ian Sutton
2nd: Donut
3rd: Don Hayes

With his fourth first place in a row, Ian takes over the lead and begins to look unstoppable.

He has won five out of the last six, the other one was nipped by a last minute submission from the Congo Bongo world record holder.

Anyway, some of your mouses obviously work better on this game than mine. For example I'm seeing literally twice the distance I was ever able to get on the 3rd hole drive. Maybe I should have tried another mouse or tinkered with the settings.

Also interesting to note is that there were no entries the last several hours. Even if people don't hide their recordings, you'd think they would do better as the week went on.
John Cunningham (JTC)