Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Turkey Shoot

romname: tshoot

Screenshot (click to see current MARP scores):

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: July 9, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounties: none

Comments: Somebody posted recently on another forum about a modern game called "Turkey Hunting USA", erroneously referring to it as "Turkey Shoot USA". This led me to KLOV to see some info on the game. Although this person had the name wrong, I saw there was a game called "Turkey Shoot" by none other than Williams Electronics, one of my favorite manufacturers, in 1984. The game is a hoot! Apparently it was only made in limited quantities. The original machine featured a compartment between the monitor and the outer glass in which real feathers were blown around by an air blower.

The game is a little difficult for me. It would help if I had two right hands...your firepower is limited only by how fast you can pull the trigger, and I can do this faster with my right, but my left hand can't control the mouse precisely enough either. When the turkeys start taking hostages, its tough shooting them without hitting the hostage and ending the round.

Anyway, it's worth a few laughs at least.

Use WolfMAME .83
Last edited by Weehawk on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Funspot actually has one of these. I think I've only played it once. Don't recall seeing real feathers blown around, though :)
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

To the players

Post by sawys »

Why did you wait so much time to play to the GEGOTW and to beat the score !! (to sampras)

I have no time till tomorrow to play cos i go in week-end till sunday.
:cry:

Maybe for the next time :)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

That game is definitely not one of my favourites. Played only couple of games...Not easy with a trackball...I assume more easy with a mouse!
(My other mouse port is used for spinner. I'm SO lazy that wont replace spinner wire with mouse wire!)

Sampras submitted only yesterday, because he didn't want to play the game whole week... :lol:

Next gegotw game is a true classic like Tron or Phoenix!?? 8) 8O :P
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Next gegotw game is a true classic like Tron or Phoenix!??
I started to say "You wish", but your current scores for these games would put you in a tough spot wouldn't they? 8)

I don't think we'll be seeing Tron in GEGOTW until I get a real Tron control panel wired up to my computer. (And even then I wouldn't be very good.)

I'll probably do Phoenix one of these days.

Next week (tomorrow) is another lesser known title. The week after that comes a well known classic. I'll try to keep them mixed up.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

You're welcome to play Tron at my home...if you happen to be around here sometime :D
Seriously, I'd need some "further bounty" to motivate me playing the game enough to beat dbh's TG record. Have the skill to do it, I just need to put together few games to fluke a good one, maybe 1-2 times/ week would be good...Can't do many serious attempts in short time, because trigger finger gets tired=cones get harder. Nowadays it's hard for me to even start a game, since one game lasts quite a while.
It's quite easy to connect Tron CP to PC, mine had even original wires for joystick still inplace. And the spinner is awesome :P

Too bad, that I suck at Arkanoid type games!

TJT
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote:I started to say "You wish", but your current scores for these games would put you in a tough spot wouldn't they? 8)
Right, week is not allways enough time to get back in form at a game that you have scored well. Sort of depends on a game, and players current form at that. Yesterday a friend wanted to see how I play Gorf now...I was off-form already :lol: Those shameful moment's..."Yes, I'm good at this, believe me"...I seem to get out-of-form pretty fast :?

That's the main reason, which makes gegotw interesting though...
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Seriously, I'd need some "further bounty" to motivate me playing the game enough to beat dbh's TG record.
And you realize that it the bounty was enough, I would be trying to push my score up too, right? :) :)

Actually, if I ever get around to getting a Tron CP or a custom HotRod or SlikStik, then I will be going after TJT's MAME Tron record (even without a bounty)!

I played Tron a couple weeks ago at Funspot. Had to stop the score at only 999,976 as I messed up on the last spider board trying to get my last two digits to where I could get "99". I had two 999,999's up on the board about three months ago but the machine lost it's high score table recently.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I'd like to see how you handle spiders and recognizer tanks...Some bikes should be interesting too. Get the CP! Or if you get back to the game, send me video... 8)

Yeah, bounty is not right motivation for that...But I'd need an excuse to spend so many hours playing the game. Succeeded game is 7 hours(5M). Even "bad" game lasts atleast 2 hours. Adding few/many attempts +one success=many hours total. I'm lazy!
I better do it soon, since you've started practising for fightback already :P

TJT

edit: Thinking about it, defending marp record would be ultimate motivation for me. One of the 1st places that I absolutely will not give away.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: SJK
2nd: Sampras
3rd: Sawys

Last minute heroics by SJK.

According to the inp file information he actually played that at the very end too, didn't just hold it to upload late (not that there's any rule against that anyway).

I put a little more effort into next week's game. Perhaps I won't get slaughtered the first day again. :P
John Cunningham (JTC)