Golden Era Game of the Week 6/26/04: Gorf

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Let's see if Todd thinks Gorf emulation is ok...Ok or not, I bet after hes submission we all feel like space cadets...

Oh, and I think my flagship tactics are quite hot.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Your flagship method is good.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

ok
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: TJT
2nd: Don Hayes
3rd: Sawys@jvrm.net

Some spirited competition this week!

And in the end the original high score holder regains his place. PM me with your Paypal email address, Tommi.

And welcome to a new challenger to our competition, Sawys.

Wonder why the MAME emulation is so much tougher than the real thing here? Guess the "further bounty" money is safe. :P
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I'll look at paypal site soon, have used it long time ago when buying Tron control panel at ebay(about USD150). Propably have to create new account now.

I played Gorf pretty much this week. Had about 10-15 scores around 40k, ending at stage 27-28 before making that breakthrough game of 48k.
I got pretty frustrated at some point. Felt like it was about luck to get through those later laser battle stages and that swimming-in-ocean-of-bullets-galaxian-stage. I don't think even Todd Rogers himself would've gotten much more than winner score. I fully understand him not submitting.

Last day I played mostly the other clone gorfpgm1, having noticed that it has right ship speed compared to arcade and enemies fire normally. I find it much more fun to play, not loosing all lives at round five or six time and time again. There's a snake in paradise though: Invaders stage, which requires luck to get through. Also that occasional slowdown at galaxians(+invaders)stage can get rather annoying. laser battle, warp and flagsip stage seem to be arcade perfect which is nice.

As result of this week I feel like my Gorfability is much higher. At arcade I propably would be making quite good scores at the moment. Too bad that don't have one...a gorfian empire here. Hope someday they'll get emulation of the game fixed...Then it should be much more fun to play the game.

Thanks to Weehawk and competitors, especially Donald giving a toughie score to beat. When I got 40350, only 200 points short you could hear lot of Perkele's and other foul language used. I did submit a bit late though, giving only 1 hour to fight back...I just didn't want to get back to harder romset more :oops:

Thanks,
TJT

P.S.
destructor wrote: Gorf is a big bug
Agreed, hope they get emulation fixed.
It might be that when ship explodes without reason at Galaxian stage, it's because sudden slowdown at bullet speed emulation..you kind of catch your own bullet when going up...
TJT wrote: Why lasers don't destroy own fighters??
That's a good question dear TJT. I'll answer you, if you tell me first why flagship fireballs don't hurt gorfs?
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

The TJT wrote:Thanks to Weehawk and competitors, especially Donald giving a toughie score to beat. When I got 40350, only 200 points short you could hear lot of Perkele's and other foul language used. I did submit a bit late though, giving only 1 hour to fight back...I just didn't want to get back to harder romset more
You should have heard me early in the week when I was trying to beat your original 35K score...same as you, I had missed by just a couple hundred points early on and some choice language was used.

I wish I was able to give you more of a fight towards the end of the week, but I went on vacation starting Tuesday so I didn't have any access to MAME. I don't know if I would've been able to beat 48K anyways. That's a great score considering all the issues with this version. I agree, I think even Todd would have a tough time with this one.

I'll have to try the other clone. Sounds like it is more in line with the real arcade machine. I did play one game on the real machine up at Funspot last weekend and got 101K so I think playing this harder version does help.

Congrats again, Tommi!
Todd Rogers
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Todd Rogers »

Holy Cow i completely had forgotten about the GORF challange. I ve been busy with home priorities and such that it completely slipped my mind. So my appologies for not being able to submit anything. The emu of GORF really sucks in compairison to the real thing my ship would stick and float to the right at times AND sometimes wouldn't even move at all. But yet the Gorfians moved with ease. This version is the modified one that is harder to attain 1 million on. I have a teaser that you can look at for those whom never seen a two shot kill on the mother ship i killed the game off early because i had to leave.If you want a copy of it since i cant up load it here please Email me toddrogers64@hotmail.com and i will send you the INP.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers
May you always know how to use your JoyStick
Twin Galaxies Atari, Intellivision & Game Cube Referee
http://www.beatthechamp.com
http://www.twingalaxies.com
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Paypal payment received. Thanks!
Euro being strong gives me a good excuse to look at ebay items to spend USD bounty recklessly.

(lighting a gigarrett, standing in rain, wearing a green-white poncho)
I feel like a space bounty hunter,

Tommi