Golden Era Game of the Week 3/27/04: Joust

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Weehawk wrote:
This is a personal offer from myself, and is not officially associated with MARP in any way.
John is the boss here period.
QRS
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Game of week is only to 2 april. It is short time.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

QRS wrote:
Weehawk wrote:
This is a personal offer from myself, and is not officially associated with MARP in any way.
John is the boss here period.
Yes, I know. Thats why asking here...Have to wait hes reply.

Anyway, I bet I did about 400k with 5 men in that 600k score...Now when recording...nothing...Can't get past early stages. Frustrating, I tell ya!
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Robotron is played as marathon at marp, yet people do tell 5 men scores in description. Why not allow to continue playing after 5 man score?
Of course, you'd just be claiming the 5 man score, even in your MARP submission.

Does MARP have a policy about this?

Aside from the inconvenience of having to note the score after the loss of the fifth man, I can't see any significant way that this affects competition.

If MARP would allow such a score to stand for a game supposed to be played at five man settings, I would allow it for GEGOTW.

[/b]
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Good :D Wuz getting tired of the secret code..f2,f2...f2,d,f2,5,1
+Not really getting past earlyish levels, playing them over and over again...For me level 12 is a pain now...

Better to practice those later levels too, more fun. Though now I feel doubtful about making a good 5 man score, couple of hours ago felt hopeful :roll:

Nothing to do with... what you said...TGOFTW?...But I feel TG-5 man rule does put too much weight on early levels and luck. Not so many can ever play later lavels with that rule.

I think it's quite ok to submit with "counting men" at marp. I bet many confirmers can count up to 5, excluding myself...
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Good Wuz getting tired of the secret code..f2,f2...f2,d,f2,5,1
Wait for "Factory Settings Restored" then press F2, F1-F2, F2 etc, it's slightly quicker.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

The general "rule" for marp is that a 5 men limit on the game should be set if it is possible (ex gng). In games like Bombjack, qbert etc you can´t set a 5 men limit, and you are forced to count your men.
QRS
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Man, I wish you could've waited until the Snipercade Deca completed before you started this "game of the week" thing. I am currently "gamed out" after trying to improve my last few Deca scores to catch Destructor (which would have been a nearly impossible feat this time around).
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

dbh wrote:Man, I wish you could've waited until the Snipercade Deca completed before you started this "game of the week" thing. I am currently "gamed out" after trying to improve my last few Deca scores to catch Destructor (which would have been a nearly impossible feat this time around).
Well, I'm planning on it being a continuous thing, and I knew the DECA would end a couple of days before the first week here.

And you should be fresh on Joust having played it at the Philly Classic. 272k for a first place in that game if I recall correctly.

I do hope you'll participate some. In three weeks I'm thinking of a game that might be right up your alley.....and probably you've never played before.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I do hope you'll participate some. In three weeks I'm thinking of a game that might be right up your alley.....and probably you've never played before.
Yes, I definitely do plan to participate. Maybe not every game but certainly when there is a game that I like or find interesting (or that I'm already good at :))
And you should be fresh on Joust having played it at the Philly Classic. 272k for a first place in that game if I recall correctly.
True, but after the last few days of gaming I really could have used a few days of rest.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Joust? Bleh. Catastrophic. I don't play on it. Delete it from my hard disk, now! :)
Cubist
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Hmm ...

Post by Cubist »

I don't have a Joust score on here!

-Chris
Chris Long, Departments of Mathematics & Statistics, Rutgers University

"Pinky, this baby is our ticket to taking over the world."
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:

First Place: Don Hayes
Second Place: TJT
Third Place: tar

Congratulations, Don. PM me your paypal address.

Random thoughts:

tar: What happened? 215k the first day and no more submissions?

destructor: Proves nobody can be great at everything. I'm sure we'll hear from you in the weeks to come.

I'd like to point out that nobody beat my score. :P I know that's not going to happen very often. I'm sure on some of these games I'm going to have to be a very good sport to upload my score at all. And of course I understand the players who already had great scores on the game are hard pressed to submit an improvement, but I still think this is the best way to do it.

And Don, about centtime:

Are you going to make me play that game again??? Seriously, I had hell breaking 50k, but I'll start playing again. The scary thing is there looks like there is still room for improvement. Watching your game I see quite a few 600 point spiders. You're probably killing a higher percentage of the fleas than anyone else.....amazing reflexes.
John Cunningham (JTC)