MAME 0.59 released.

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mahlemiut
Editor

MAME 0.59 released.

Post by mahlemiut »

Might as well announce it here too. :)

New MAME out. Includes Psikyo SH-2 based games (needs a fix for some of them, source on the MAME message board), working Rainbow Islands C-Chip emulation, re-written uPD7759 sound core, and other stuff.

Also, looks like The Main Event won't work at all. :(
I wonder what else doesn't work. :)

On a side note, the 'net gods don't seem to want me to download the MAME source. :?

Edit: You can find the SH-2 fix at http://www.mame.net/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/ ... #Post70296. Binaries at mame.net have been updated.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mmm... Strikers 1945 II...

I soooo need to upgrade now :( :evil:
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

BBH wrote:mmm... Strikers 1945 II...
Don't forget Space Bomber. :)

Oh yeah, nice sig. :)
- Barry Rodewald
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:
BBH wrote:mmm... Strikers 1945 II...
Don't forget Space Bomber. :)

Oh yeah, nice sig. :)
I just hope Space Bomber's intro doesn't become the next Zero Wing. Then again, it seems like only the Japanese version of Space Bomber is supported? And wouldn't have "NO! GO TO STAR!"... either way, Space Bomber gets impossibly difficult on the later stages, I can't fathom finishing it on one credit. at least with Strikers I have a chance at doing the first loop at least.

as for the sig, the coach was kinda distracting. Mr. Capcom Bowling guy is too, but I find it funnier right now... what the hell is he doing?!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Oh dear. There appears to be a rather serious bug with the new MMX tilemap engine, causing uneven tiles in many horizontally scrolling games. Check out Ryu's stage in SSF2 and you'll see what I mean.
- Barry Rodewald
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

And what about Sol Divide?Ever played it?

I want more than before 1.8 Ghz...:(
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Good Luck ;)

Post by Haze »

with Space Bomber, I look forward to seeing the replays because I agree it gets bloody hard, but there are a number strategies you can use so ti'll be interesting to see which ones give the most points.

FYI theres a Small problem with Strikers 1945 II gameplay in .59, probably due to an SH-2 bug which I personally can't fix. On one of the bosses the game will appear to go into an infinite loop whereby the boss never evolves, however if you just shoot the oncoming planes for a few minutes the game will advance anyway. Any replays created before this bug is fixed obviously aren't going to work after its fixed.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

oh .. and I'm told the USA versions of the games use the same roms and its a non user changable value in EEprom that selects the language, so theres hope you'll see the USA Space Bomber yet, I'm guessing from the talk here you've played it on a real machine?
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Haze wrote:oh .. and I'm told the USA versions of the games use the same roms and its a non user changable value in EEprom that selects the language, so theres hope you'll see the USA Space Bomber yet, I'm guessing from the talk here you've played it on a real machine?
Yeah. In English the intro goes something like this:

Alien: YOU MY FRIEND. GIVE ME EARTH.
President: NO! GO TO STAR!
Alien: WHY NOT!!! #(@&&@!& [bunch of alien gibberish]

they even have the "GO TO STAR!" picture on the marquee... weird.

As for points, obviously the best way to get a good score is to hold down the button when you capture enemies and launch them at big groups... the more you wipe out the bigger the bonus
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Oooo...more shooters.....sound fun. :)
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Note:Psikyo SH-2 games doesn't work in dmame...

...but works fine to me at full speed (on 800 Mhz)with the compiled version!Wasn't supposed to be more demanding?

PS:You can find the tilemap fix here:http://www.mameworld.net/mametesters/files/Aaron.txt
This makes almost every game broken in this release working again (Yes, The Main Event too)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Kale wrote:This makes almost every game broken in this release working again (Yes, The Main Event too)
WOOHOO! :D

EDIT: actually, parts of the music is missing, and sound quality still isn't perfect, although it's a damn sight better than before. ;)
- Barry Rodewald
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

There is a problem with the uPD7789 sound chip;every game that requires it have at least one corrupt sample,check any system 16 game for example...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Oh, great. It probably won't be fixed until 2006, then. Yay. :wink:
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Announcement: next marp olympics will be this Easter.

Man, Gold Medalist works with mame59!!!