Problems With The MARP link To This Bulletin Board

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Problems With The MARP link To This Bulletin Board

Post by tmorrow »

:(

The standard installation of IE6 will not allow the use of cookies from the current marp board link because forums.marpirc.net is being accessed from within the MARP frame. Can a direct link please be provided?

This is going to cause problems for IE users who won't understand why they aren't known and can't post to the forums when accessing the forums page from MARP.

Yes, IE6 is a P.O.S. and the only other ways around it are

1. Lower the default security in IE6 to below medium.
2. Get another browser - tempting I assure you.
3. Never use MARP's link, instead create a direct url and stash it into your favourites somewhere.

I think it would be easier all around to change the url to a direct link.

BTW - I like the new forums
seymour
Site Admin

Re: Problems With The MARP link To This Bulletin Board

Post by seymour »

tmorrow wrote::(

The standard installation of IE6 will not allow the use of cookies from the current marp board link because forums.marpirc.net is being accessed from within the MARP frame. Can a direct link please be provided?

This is going to cause problems for IE users who won't understand why they aren't known and can't post to the forums when accessing the forums page from MARP.

Yes, IE6 is a P.O.S. and the only other ways around it are

1. Lower the default security in IE6 to below medium.
2. Get another browser - tempting I assure you.
3. Never use MARP's link, instead create a direct url and stash it into your favourites somewhere.

I think it would be easier all around to change the url to a direct link.

BTW - I like the new forums
I absolutely hate the default IE6 security settings. They break more things than they "fix". The image resizing and toolbar are pretty useless as well.

As for getting another browser, try Mozilla 0.9.9 (just released a couple of days ago). It's all I use - just be warned that it can be a little slow at times, because of it's interface. If you have lots of RAM, it's not a problem.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

if it's all hunky dorie you can rollback and use IE 5.5 (or wait maybe rolling back IE is not possible hehe), it does work with the marp link and preserving cookies in the frame, however i can't remember if i've lowered security already... don't think i did though.

mozilla is very nice on linux, uses the same IE keystrokes.... now that i actually was able to recover my hard drive, thank you CBLtech.com, now to backup and verify my backups about 40 times then i'll be able to turn on read/write and use my computer with a degree of comfort.

The 3) option may be your best bet, IE (unfortunate as it is) is very usefull allowing links to be created as buttons on the window, and you can move them to the right of the "FILE EDIT View..." menus and waste no window real estate at all, i have a marp board link in the IE6 link buttons and it always opens in it's own frame when i click.
-skito