Team MARP - IGBY 2016 - Tournament Games have been announced

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Team MARP - IGBY 2016 - Tournament Games have been announced

Post by Zhorik »

The tournament game list has been announced on the tournament web site at http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/e ... y2016/main

New player registration will end when the tournament starts which is in a little over 70 minutes on July 6th at 12:00AM EDT (GMT+4).

Please consult the tournament site for details on the games, roms required, settings and special rules. You can start practicing the games in the next 70 minutes but actual submissions must be for games started after the tournament actually starts.

If you know of any problems with any of the games that would make the unsuitable for tournament play or which should have rule clarifications around settings, glitches, leeching or such, please post about them ASAP.

Please note that for the tournament you MUST use Wolf .106, Wolf .175 or RetroUprising. Other versions of WolfMAME are NOT allowed. Also note that some games may not be playable in all 3 allowed MAME versions, so please see the details on the game for supported versions, required roms, and any special rules or settings for the game.

Here's the game list:

1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen
Armored Car
Big Kong
Block Hole
Block Out
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoka Tachi
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Metal Slug
Metamorphic Force
Millipede
Mortal Kombat
Pandora's Palace
Paperboy (Hard Way)
Renegade
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
VS. Super Mario Bros.
Zero Time
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Team MARP - IGBY 2016 - Tournament Games have been annou

Post by AL »

Hi George,

On Paperboy (Hard Way), when you go past the Grandstand finishing line through the gap on the right, just crash into the kerb on the left (...on the next upcoming assault course). I'd say 80% of the time you are awarded a 64-65k 'breakage bonus'.

Ah the memories :-)

Slán,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

AL wrote:Hi George,

On Paperboy (Hard Way), when you go past the Grandstand finishing line through the gap on the right, just crash into the kerb on the left (...on the next upcoming assault course). I'd say 80% of the time you are awarded a 64-65k 'breakage bonus'.

Slán,

AL
I'm afraid such tecnique is forbidden; special rules say:
"The "Obstacle Course Trick", the "Grandstand Trick", and the "Lawnmower Trick" are all banned."
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote:Hi George,

Memories indeed...
:)

I remember the trick a bit differently. (what is it now... 30 years later...)
Guess I'll have to try it...
I dug up my yoke, but after calibrating it the trigger disappeared and can't get it back no matter what. Damn Windows 7 and the horse you rode in on. Playing Paperboy one hand on a yoke and the other on a keyboard. Ouch.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I tried the Grandstand trick on hard way 3 times... No success... this is how you do it, right?
Attachments
paperboy_wolf106_trick_failed.inp.zip
Nice, but no dice.
(26.98 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Nope Tommi, not the way. You didn't go past the Grandstand on 'Monday'. Go through the Grandstand finishing line as per 'Grandstand trick' on Easy Way (and go behind it)....and when the next assault course comes up (y'know on Easy Way you have to go through a crazy looking assault course twice? In this case don't do that, just crash into the kerb on your immediate left!

Hope that's a bit clearer. Going away for the weekend, so if ye haven't figured it out by then, will try set up paperboy (ulp!) and post an inp here.

AL
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Al, I understand nothing.

But don't let that spoil your weekend. :D
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Grrr! You do remember how to get past the Grandstand? At the finishing line there is a gap between the white line and the fence on the right. Slide through that gap at an angle (going through towards your right). If you do it correctly, you should continue on. If you get that far, another course will start to appear....just crash to the kerb on the left.

Don't make me have to set up Paperboy..........

:-)

Terveisin,

AL
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I think I understand now... that's what (going into the gap with angle and speed) I tried with my inp above but on Hard Way - probably would have to try it on Easy Street instead...

I also have some fuzzy recollection that if you do it on Sunday then you can get really big scores.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Fuzzy indeed :-)

On Easy Way, if you do it on Monday (always make sure your breakage bonus is only 100pts btw, to ensure 100% success) you get the big billion bonus etc.

Keep trying :-)

AL
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I used to do the grandstand trick in the arcades all the time, 1,790,000,000 points or something (if it didn't clock to zero). I have however never, ever got it to work in MAME! Granted I've been out of the scene for a LONG time so it could be different these days, but I've had that angle absolutely perfect on the finish line but it still just finishes the course without continuing, so who knows what's going on. Maybe there is an earlier romset not emulated that had the bug in and it was fixed in later revisions? Dunno. Best of luck guys :)
Darren
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Team MARP - IGBY 2016 - Tournament Games have been announced

Post by AL »

Grandstand Trick only works on Rev1+2.

To get the 60k+ Breakage Bonus on Hard Way using the Grandstand trick, make sure your breakage bonus is under 14k...you'll get it each time!

AL
Attachments
HARD.png
HARD.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 2659 times