Pole Position Controls

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Pole Position Controls

Post by 1up »

I have a hell of a time setting this game up with my Logitech G27. Originally it uses a spinner type setup for the 360 degree motion for the steering wheel. This makes it unplayable in MAME (newer versions atleast). The problem is, that if I play with my Logitech G27 the motion is WAY too fast. Ok, so I set the sensitivity to 2% and it's better BUT...

.. the original machine is made so that the steering angle is reset when not in motion for about 1 second. This is hard to explain, but I'll try.

You drive along and a right hand turn is approaching.
you turn at the desired angle(100 degrees) and the car sprite turns.
Now while turning the wheel stays in place(100 degrees), the car is at an angle but the "spinner" inside resets back to 0 degrees and is waiting for input.

With a 360 degree free rotation wheel like on the original machine this is fine, but if you use a Logitech wheel locked to 270 degrees point to point it's not fine. When playing in MAME this is what happens.

You drive along and a right hand turn is approaching.
you turn at the desired angle(100 degrees) and the car sprite turns.
Now while turning the wheel stays in place(100 degrees), the car is at an angle but the "spinner" inside resets back to 0 degrees and is waiting for input.
So that means the game thinks my wheel is at 0 degrees, when it's actually, physically, is at 100 degrees. If I turn the wheel back to 0 degrees, the car will snap to 100 degrees in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know how to set it up properly somehow or is there a different version of MAME out there that does this differently?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Pole Position Controls

Post by Weehawk »

You're trying to use a different type of control than the Pole Position code expects. I don't think there's anything in MAME you can change to compensate for this.

I don't know if there are any ready-made steering wheels out there that work like Pole Position's but some people have, with some difficulty, rigged actual Pole Position steering wheels for PC/MAME use. Then they have to deal with the fact that MAME handles the shift differently, and someone actually created a special MAME version for that. (ShifterMAME).
John Cunningham (JTC)
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

Yeah, it seems that the only option is to either use an original control panel, use a spinner or hack a mouse to get the correct steering input in MAME. Oh well, I needed a winter project anyway :x
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

i had the same problem
i use a logitech dual action gamepad
looks like a PS2 controller
got 12k for 1st a few months ago... http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/6/b/e/tar ... olf153.zip
maybe someone could do better ?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

1up,

Hi

I haven't tried it myself yet - but I found a program called "xpadder" , which I believe can be found as a torrent for free. My problem is MS Dual Strike controller "mouse mode" emulation. Damn Microsoft, cant use my hacked Star Wars yoke well in anything above Windows XP.

http://danielsokolowski.blogspot.fi/201 ... ofile.html

Not sure if that prog can help you though. Or me, since the page claims mouse emulation is still off. Tell us (me) if you try it and it works...
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

tar wrote:i had the same problem
i use a logitech dual action gamepad
looks like a PS2 controller
got 12k for 1st a few months ago... http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/6/b/e/tar ... olf153.zip
maybe someone could do better ?
I've done 54,750pts using the mouse
but it would be so much better playing with a wheel

The TJT: Newer seen that controller before. That looks interesting. I'm thinking about making a wheel out of an old mouse. That should work better with Pole Position.