Removing motion blur for LCDs with MAME

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Removing motion blur for LCDs with MAME

Post by The_Pro »

This might be old news to some but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

There are some monitors now that are starting to offer 120Hz refresh rates with a feature called lightboost. Without going into too much detail, it essentially eliminates all motion blur on the lcd as long as you have a source outputting enough frames. I was immediately concerned that MAME couldn't take advantage of this until I found that someone made a patch that does just that. Apparently it also helps a bit for input lag by halving the frame buffer (I think? I read pretty quick).

Relevant links:
http://www.blurbusters.com/software-bas ... y-in-mame/
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 710.0.html

Anyway, I was wondering how this would affect playback/recording. Has someone tried for themselves?

If it doesn't break recording maybe we can say pretty please so Barry will add it to the next wolfmame ;) ?
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Removing motion blur for LCDs with MAME

Post by mahlemiut »

That thread seems to suggest there is less input lag at 120Hz, which would mean that it would make INPs made with that active incompatible.

But if you can operate MAME at 120Hz without resorting to hacking MAME itself, there shouldn't be an issue.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Removing motion blur for LCDs with MAME

Post by The_Pro »

Yeah, I suspected it wouldn't work out. Guess I have to keep that CRT on the side for a while still as 120Hz without lightboost isn't perfect yet. I see some 240Hz screens on the horizon though. Wish monitor tech would move faster.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!