MAME36 in Windows 7

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

d3scride
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

MAME36 in Windows 7

Post by d3scride »

Anyone have any tips on how I can get this version of MAME to run? Tried running in compatibility mode for all service packs of Windows xp, and Windows 2000, no luck.

Thanks.
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: MAME36 in Windows 7

Post by Alessandro.S »

I just fired up my Windows 7 Virtualbox image within Fedora 17, and I did the following:

- unzipped mame3236.zip into Desktop/mame036
- started a command window (cmd.exe)
- created a roms folder within the above and copied ckong.zip into that
- attempted to run the exe, which complained about missing midas11.dll
- downloaded the above, next complaint was zlib.dll
- copied that and the couple others I used to have to play Windows MAME under wine (audiow32.dll, zip32.dll) for good measure
- mame3236.exe starts with a popup window saying it detected an older version of comctrl32 and if I wish to update it OR play without the improvements
- went to microsoft.com page where it is pretty clear that such update only applies to Windows XP
- went back to the popup and said ok
- Virtualbox window was resized by the game starting up in what it believed to be a fullscreen mode and in bad colors
- played a man in Crazy Kong
- ESC'd the game and I had my Windows 7 Virtualbox window back to proper size/colors

As it works within a VM I'd expect running it natively to be even easier - what did I do differently from you ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Of course, the DOS version of MAME won't run easily under any version of Windows NT (including win2k, XP or 7).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
d3scride
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by d3scride »

I got MAME32 to work fine with the audiow32 + zlib fix thanks.. I still can't get MAME32 to launch though, even through CMD prompt. I still get unsupported 16-bit application error.

EDIT: With mame3236.exe I can get past the outdated comctl32.dll warning popup, but then it's followed by an outdated configuration warning. Press either yes or no to change the configuration does nothing.
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

d3scride wrote:I got MAME32 to work fine with the audiow32 + zlib fix thanks.. I still can't get MAME32 to launch though, even through CMD prompt. I still get unsupported 16-bit application error.

EDIT: With mame3236.exe I can get past the outdated comctl32.dll warning popup, but then it's followed by an outdated configuration warning. Press either yes or no to change the configuration does nothing.
Let's see... "unsupported 16-bit" application error means some pieces are 16-bit, and that shouldn't be... my bits:

Code: Select all

[root@xbox mame-dlls]# file *.dll
audiow32.dll: PE32 executable (DLL) (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
zip32.dll:    PE32 executable (DLL) (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
zlib.dll:     PE32 executable (DLL) (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
[root@xbox mame-dlls]# ls -l *.dll
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  69632 Jul 29 23:10 audiow32.dll
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 131072 Jul 29 23:10 zip32.dll
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  53760 Jul 29 23:10 zlib.dll
I might probably send these over through email if you wish to try those out... in that case let me know if you also want midas11.dll (scanned as ok by McAfee).

I am btw running a 64-bit Windows7 VM on top of a 64-bit Fedora 17 host, and the 32-bit stuff works (sort of).

As per the outdated configuration, I had no configuration at all to boot, so I couldn't possibly hit that issue - I think - ...did you copy something in the cfg directory before attempting to start mame3236.exe ?