Banning/Suspending members

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Banning/Suspending members

Post by Zhorik »

I'd like to discuss what, if any, procedures we have for banning members from the forums and/or MARP. Unfortunately, I think this is necessary to consider for a certain new member.

Are there any current existing procedures?

If not I'd like to propose an immediate temporary suspension, during which time we can discuss proper procedures and rules for instituting a ban. Given MARP's democratic foundations, I think there should be both a vote on the rules and for the ban itself, with a hearing before the vote on #marp. The temporary immediate suspension would be to allow us to discuss these rules in relative peace.

Thoughts?

-George
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

suspension seems a little harsh in this case, although maddog found proof that the same people have tormented other sites. Personally so far i think we've seen worse banter in tjt vs. novice battles.

I don't think there is such a policy but it's worth the discussion for sure.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Chad wrote:Personally so far i think we've seen worse banter in tjt vs. novice battles.
:lol:

Not from my part, I hope...
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

After Maddog's confirmation there's no question in my mind, ban away. After his 3rd post saying that he "doesn't like when people send him to links, just answer me here", I knew this guy was a waste of space.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

For discussion I whipped up some proposed suspension/ban regulations for discussion. Seems like it would be useful to have something like this in place in the regulations regardless of what we do in this case. I based them on the Editor impeachment rules. If anything, they might be a bit lenient. I think we could add these to the MARP Rules by a simple majority vote after a discussion period.

-----------------
1. Should a member do anything that severely and negatively affects MARP in general, any member has the right to petition for the suspension of that member. This petition must be done on the General MARP forum.

2. In addition to the original petitioner, at least five other members must petition for the suspension of the person in question (for a total of six petitioners). The five additional petitioners must be qualified to vote in a general election if a general election were to be called at the time the time of the petition.

3. If the suspension is legal under items one and two, a trial will be called on MARP's irc chat channel (#marp) within ten days and announced at least three days in advance. It will be at this trial that the petitioners will discuss the arguments in full, and then the defenders will offer a defense to those arguments. The Regulation Coordinator has final say in selecting the time for the trial, but will take into consideration the requests of the petitioners and defendant. In addition the Regulation Coordinator will be responsible for moderating the trial, or appointing a representative to moderate the trial.

4. After the trial, a vote will be taken on the message board in the General forum. The vote shall run for 5 days. A log of the chat channel trial shall be posted into the vote thread. Any member who would be allowed to vote in a general election if it was called at the time of the vote will be allowed to vote for or against the suspension here. A 2/3 vote must be attained in order for the suspension to be imposed.

5. An initial suspension for a member shall be only from the forums and shall last for 1 month. The next suspension shall be from both the forums and MARP and shall last for 6 months. A third suspension shall be from both the forums and MARP and will be for 2 years. A fourth suspension will be a permanent ban from both the forums and MARP.

6. In the event of a serious breach of conduct by a member, a vote for an immediate suspension by 5 or more Editors will temporarily suspend the member. The suspension will only be temporary, and a trial must be called for and announced according to item 3 above. Should the trial result in a suspension, the start date of the suspension will be counted from the start of the temporary suspension.

7. Coordinators and editors cannot be suspended. If they commit offenses, impeachment proceedings should be used instead of suspension.
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

Hey, stop this comedy situation. If madogg is real then hes just crazy.

I m here for gaming, not trolling.

I think u afraid of me or u jealous my scores :roll:

And stop insult me, ok? thanx.
although maddog found proof that the same people have tormented other sites
WHAT???!!! Where r these proofs? I want see them now 8O
(r u crazy? U cant accuse me that I ...tormented other sites, u should apologize)
After Maddog's confirmation there's no question in my mind, ban away. After his 3rd post saying that he "doesn't like when people send him to links, just answer me here", I knew this guy was a waste of space.
No. U r a waste of space...why should I waste my time going to pointless links? I spent already enough time here answering to insults and misuderstandings.
Last edited by tk2007 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMULATE DECATHLETE NOW!!!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

George, I think those suggested rules would be over-regulating normal message board functions. Somewhat too slow and not effective imo.
Han Solo wrote: No time to discuss this in a committee!
Leia Organa wrote: I am NOT a committee!
So far here certainly has been very forgiving policy on "trouble makers", sometimes even *too* forgiving.
At TG I feel they are often overdoing moderating.

Where to draw the line?
Personal insults, name calling, stalking, junk posting etc...

I wouldn't mind different opinions and even political or religious debates in the pit.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

When to ban then?

Perhaps when moderator feels like banning someone, he could ask on that particular thread if other marpers agree...hey how about 3 strike rule? :)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

The TJT wrote: Where to draw the line?
Personal insults, name calling, stalking, junk posting etc...
I think multiple baseless racism accusations fall somewhere over the line. MARP has had some heated discussions and that's ok, makes things interesting. This stuff is just garbage though, no logic to it at all, no attempt made to learn from their mistakes or from others.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

The TJT wrote:George, I think those suggested rules would be over-regulating normal message board functions. Somewhat too slow and not effective imo.

So far here certainly has been very forgiving policy on "trouble makers", sometimes even *too* forgiving.
At TG I feel they are often overdoing moderating.
Well if we already had this rule in place, the editors could quickly vote on an immediate suspension if necessary. Maybe only 4 or even 3 editors should be necessary for the immediate suspension. Regardless, to avoid TG style overmoderating, I think having a mechanism for members to vote to approve or disapprove the suspension is valuable.

For blatent bot/spam traffic, I'd suggest saying the moderators can delete/ban any accounts they want if the user hasn't submitted a MARP recording.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

I'd have banned him over a week ago.

He is preemptively banned from any future GEGOTW competition, and therefore any post he may make to the GEGOTW Forum will be considered off-topic and moved to The Pit.

It should also be noted that I have never responded to any of his posts, nor have I addressed him directly in any of mine. There is a lesson to be learned there for those sufficiently intelligent.
John Cunningham (JTC)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

For the love of god, just ban him, delete his acount and recordings from MARP and enjoy the silence. I have no synpathy for idiots that refuse to learn from those who know better. (Look at all the recent threads)

He was funny for 1 day but now he is just repeating himself.

Just my 2 cents..
QRS
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

For the love of god, just ban him, delete his acount and recordings from MARP and enjoy the silence.
For the love of God, if u want enjoy silence just stop insult me, just stop attack me, just leave alone, U IDIOT :evil: What kind of idiot could some1 be? Did I ever disturbed any1? Why u disturb me then? Do u have special problems with greeks?
. I have no synpathy for idiots that refuse to learn from those who know better
Who r these men who know better? madogg? U r a sore idiot.
I'd have banned him over a week ago. He is preemptively banned from any future GEGOTW competition, and therefore any post he may make to the GEGOTW Forum will be considered off-topic and moved to The Pit. It should also be noted that I have never responded to any of his posts, nor have I addressed him directly in any of mine. There is a lesson to be learned there for those sufficiently intelligent.
One more idiot... :roll: Poor guys that have nothing to do and attack to members cause of jealous :roll: :lol:
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

tk2007 wrote:For the love of God, if u want enjoy silence just stop insult me, just stop attack me, just leave alone, U IDIOT :evil:
No, I think banning you would be much easier. I get the feeling that you always have to have the last word...
tk2007 wrote:What kind of idiot could some1 be? Did I ever disturbed any1? Why u disturb me then? Do u have special problems with greeks?
I'm looking at one, yes, no-one forced you to respond, and no, only you.

You are real close to a ban right now. You're just lucky I'm rather tolerant. Probably too tolerant.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

If u accept members insult other members and call them trolls, then u r not tolerant...U r a bloody stupid idiot :evil:

Should I feel lucky because they call me troll and u support them??! 8O
Get lost of my sight and never disturb me again, u sore idiot.
Last edited by tk2007 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.